Wearing Masks as Coronavirus Protection

Headshot

Dr. Campbell says he doesn't believe masks are effective, but I would bet that he would wear one if he was treating an infected patient. If the viruses are really as small as he is saying, then he is probably accurate in his assessment, but I will continue to wear one when in contact with other people of unknown exposure. I went to dinner with two other members of LinC Forums last night, and I wore my mask to and from the restaurant, but removed it during dinner (since you can't eat through a mask). I think the point is just to try to limit your possibility of exposure to the virus.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 4
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• lamoe

• Headshot

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another analogy with face masks..... When you smell someone's fart, molecules of that person's fecal matter have actually travelled from their anus through their underwear and perhaps jeans or wh

Good idea! wear that on the SuperCat!

Posted Images

liquido
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

There are a lot of different opinions on the masks. From from the most reliable sources I have read, the N95 mask (or equivalent) will stop the coronavirus (which are about 5 microns across), so anything with a 2.5 micron filter or better will stop the virus from infecting you. If you use one of these masks, you must regularly disinfect or wash the outside of the mask, and not touch the outside of the mask with your hands, since the virus will accumulate there. Hands to the face is a common infection mode. We all touch our faces a lot, so I think that will require a learning curve.

The surgical masks MIGHT stop an infected person from infecting others (because the inside of the mask becomes moist causing the virus to stick), but it WON'T stop an uninfected person from being infected. The filter isn't small enough to stop individual virus cells from passing through the mask. Nevertheless, I still think it would be better to wear a surgical mask (if you can't access an N95 mask), and at least stop droplets containing the virus (that would get caught by the mask) than opting out of the mask completely. Without any mask, you have absolutely no protection. Again, if the mask remains moist, which it probably will, the virus will stick to the moisture.

Whenever you remove the mask (whichever mask you have), you should disinfect your hands and face. Otherwise, you might be infected by virus on your skin that then come into contact with your mucus membranes in your nose, mouth or eyes.

The other factor is the N95 comes in small to large size..Can you imagine how many people are wearing  loosely fitting masks which does not help...

• Like 2
Headshot
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

There are a lot of different opinions on the masks. From from the most reliable sources I have read, the N95 mask (or equivalent) will stop the coronavirus (which are about 5 microns across), so anything with a 2.5 micron filter or better will stop the virus from infecting you.

Dr. Campbell, in a video in one of the other coronavirus threads, says that the coronavirus is actually measured in nanometers (1 micron = 100 nanometers). If that is the case, then any mask available is going to be a lot less effective than we had hoped. Nevertheless, I still think masks can offer a little prevention of spreading the virus, and my family will continue to wear them when we are outside of the house. We also shower and change clothes as soon as we return to our home to prevent carrying virus into the home on our skin.

Edited by Headshot
SkyMan

1 micron or micrometer is 1000 nanometers.

• Like 1
rfm010

And a corona virus is about 0.1 microns.  Not 5.  

An N95 mask is supposed to capture particles down to 300nm, 95 % of the time.

too much sloppy information in this thread.

• Like 1
liquido

To add to the slide..I travel alot and at the airports I have seen people with designer looking masks.fancy colors and design patterns...WTF...haha

mikewright

A Cebu taxi driver told me all taxi drivers now have to wear a mask when driving, or face a 5,000 peso fine.

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 1
lamoe
On 2/18/2020 at 6:59 PM, rfm010 said:

And a corona virus is about 0.1 microns.  Not 5.  

An N95 mask is supposed to capture particles down to 300nm, 95 % of the time.

too much sloppy information in this thread.

Verified the 95% / 300nm  https://ohsonline.com/articles/2014/05/01/comparison-respiratory.aspx

Had to look up coil periodicity - refers to interior

So either 125 or 42 / 52  ( 20 / 30 + 11 + 11)?

https://microbewiki.kenyon.edu/index.php/Coronavirus 

The virion shape is spherical, with an average size of 125 nm

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/B9780123846846000690

The virions are enveloped and bacilliform in shape with rounded ends, where the envelope is studded with prominent peplomers projecting approximately 11 nm from the surface. The nucleocapsids are 20–30 nm in diameter and have a helical symmetry with coil periodicity of 5–7 nm

On 2/18/2020 at 7:04 PM, mikewright said:

A Cebu taxi driver told me all taxi drivers now have to wear a mask when driving, or face a 5,000 peso fine.

Metro across from 138 Mall - employees issued the simple cloth ones (one only) not N95

• Like 1
SkyMan

One thing about the size of the virus and masks.  One of the many many videos here said that so far, the virus is not known to be airborne but can travel through the air on water droplets from coughs or sneezes.  I think the masks would probably stop the droplets so if the virus remains attached to the droplets it may be effective.  I don't know if the virus would likely dislodge from the droplets after that though.  

If I wear so inclined to wear a mask I would buy 10-12 for each person in the household (and probably extras for visitors.)  I would then mark them with the person's initials and number them, 1-12 or whatever.  If someone needed to go out they would take their next mask.  On return, carefully remove it by the strings and hang it on a clothes line.  Spray outside first then inside with Lysol or alcohol.  After an hour or so drying in the sun, quarantine it a week or until the person's other masks are gone, then repeat.

• Like 2
Paddy

I am not an expert on viruses, epidemiology, nor face masks...so I will do what my Mum taught me to do over 60 years ago. Wash face and hands frequently, cover your face if you cough or sneeze and stay away from those who don’t. I don’t spend much time interacting with the public, so, if it gets to the point of being socially unacceptable to appear in public without a mask, I’ll find (or make) one and wear it. 
If I’m going to start worrying about how many microns wide a virus is, I might just as well enclose myself in a bubble - with multi-stage, super-duper filtering of course!

mikewright
1 hour ago, lamoe said:

Metro across from 138 Mall - employees issued the simple cloth ones (one only) not N95

Yep. From Eduardo Montealto Jr., director of The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (-7, regarding the PUV policy, quoted as saying even table napkins can be used:

10 drivers apprehended in Cebu for not wearing protective masks

The Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) 7 (Central Visayas) on Tuesday apprehended 10 drivers of public utility vehicles (PUV) for violating the new policy requiring them to wear a protective face mask while on duty.

Eduardo Montealto Jr., director of LTFRB-7, said their operatives issued the 10 drivers inspection report summons (IRS), directing them to show cause why they should not be fined for violating the franchise guidelines.

The operation was conducted Tuesday morning after the central office issued Memorandum Circular 2020-005, which set the guidelines for all public utility drivers, conductors, and terminal operators in ensuring safe public transportation because of the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) scare.

Montealto said the circular covers all drivers and conductors of public utility jeepneys, taxis, buses, and transport network vehicle service (TNVS).

“Franchise holders are bound by all memorandum circulars issued by the LTFRB. They have to comply or else, they will be facing breach of franchise that carries a minimum penalty of PHP5,000 for the first offense, PHP10,000 for the second offense, and PHP15,000 plus impoundment of the unit and cancellation of franchise (for the third offense),” he said in an interview with the Philippine News Agency (PNA).

Meanwhile, Montealto advised the drivers to just follow what has been required of them under the new memo to avoid being fined.

His reaction came after some drivers complained about social media that the PHP5,000 penalty for not wearing a face mask is too big.

“They can devise a mask. They can use their handkerchief or face towel to cover their nose and mouth. Table napkin can even be used, as long as they are protected from the virus,” Montealto said.

https://www.pna.gov.ph/articles/1092884

Edited by mikewright
Goetz1965

Surgical masks are not meant to protect from inhaling contaminated air.
They are only used to protect patients and others from the exhaled air or droplets from the surgeon.

If you look for protection from inhaling contaminated air you need at least a N95 Respirator Mask.
These are available at Lazada for as low as 57php/pcs. And they are also better against the dirty air in the city.
Hope I can benefit from the hype end of march myself when I get stock of those.

Edited by Goetz1965
mikewright

Taxi driver tonight explained to me that he only puts on his mask if a "Chinese looking" passenger gets into the cab, or if he has to go to the airport. Otherwise, no use of mask.

• Haha 2
lamoe

CoronaVirus: What Type of Mask Should You Get to Protect Against it? (N95? P100? Respirator?)

ACE indicates they have N100 half face masks - check to be sure

N95 is considered a single use - but no one does that

http://blogs.hcpro.com/osha/2009/05/ask-the-expert-n95-respirator-reuse/

Q: Regarding N95s, one of our physicians stated that they could be used for up to eight hours before disposing of them. Is this accurate?

A: Because disposable N95 respirators are designed for one-time use, neither the manufacturers nor NIOSH, which certifies respirators, guarantees protection for extended or multiple use.

Was at 138 on Colon - no N95 of course

They have these  blue foam masks P10 - selling very fast.

Stopped in a store same side of street close to Gaisano saw them for P25 also selling out

The foam is really thin - 1/8" / 3mm?- (same as lawn mover air filter saturated with oil) in a semi-hard frame.

image.png.8fbe6cc6ceb7ea251e6207f6f1a13b1f.png

Edited by lamoe