MarinePride

Wearing Masks as Coronavirus Protection

MarinePride

Want to experience some disappointment ?  Go to any drug store on Mactan Island and ask to buy an N95 mask.  Not going to be possible.  Better get your Lazada orders in ASAP!

• Thanks 1

SkyMan
39 minutes ago, MarinePride said:

Want to experience some disappointment ?  Go to any drug store on Mactan Island and ask to buy an N95 mask.  Not going to be possible.  Better get your Lazada orders in ASAP!

Good luck with that.  They come from China.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Headshot

On a side note, my daughter's school, which has a large number of Chinese kids enrolled, has sent a letter home with students that children must wear a mask to school until further notice. The way it was worded, it appears that they want children to either wear a mask or stay home.

• Thanks 1

liquido
30 minutes ago, JonnyBravo said:

Even wearing a mask might not be effective at all... Chinese doctor believes he contracted the virus because he wasn’t wearing protective googles. You can read more about it here.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-7926243/Killer-coronavirus-SPREAD-eyes.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In that video with the 2 dudes that was posted here it was said that most chinese do not wash there hands with soap,, Watching CNN Dr Sanjay Gupta said washing hands is very important and that the masks help from touching your mouth and nose..So much to take in now....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Salty Dog

I just heard that 96% of U.S. pharmacies are low on mask. Not sure if it's a run on them by citizens, or the stocks of masks are being sent to China and the stores aren't receiving new inventory...

Yikes! the universe

There are plenty of N95 mask at Belmont hardware in minglanilla..for those in the area 95PHP ..they also have a bin full of grey ones and respirators if you guys want..take care and be safe.

• Thanks 5

to_dave007

never would have thought of that place to buy them

• Like 1

lamoe
50 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

never would have thought of that place to buy them

Cebu - don't bother "out of stock" promised to call me when they are :lol:

Hardware is excellent place due to sanding / cutting dust.

BTW also ask for N96 / N100 - you never know and they do have a reluctance to provide info.

Edited by lamoe

noddle

Even here in Tasmania, where I live,  I went to 4 chemists,  3 did not have any masks, and the 4th would only sell me 2,

I look at all the hardware stores, all N95 / P2 type masks were gone,  only dust masks were left,

But I did find 1 box of P2 masks at a local Shop that sells tools / equipment / paints, cars stuff,

I don't know if it's because of corona, or the bush fire that's been happening on the main land for the past month or 2

Daddle

If you are using or handling masks for protection know this: If they work at all then the virus accumulates on the outside surface. The mask becomes hazardous medical waste and needs to be handled carefully after use. Especially do not ever touch the outside surface. However, if they actually are of no benefit in stopping the virus, as has been reported, then no worries, nothing accumulated on the mask. It is just another fashion accessory.

• Like 1

lamoe

EDIT: 3-M N95 ACE Seaside 11 pkgs in stock - 11:30 am P295/pkg of 2  - can call and ask to have some set aside I believe

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1

Headshot
1 hour ago, Daddle said:

If you are using or handling masks for protection know this: If they work at all then the virus accumulates on the outside surface. The mask becomes hazardous medical waste and needs to be handled carefully after use. Especially do not ever touch the outside surface. However, if they actually are of no benefit in stopping the virus, as has been reported, then no worries, nothing accumulated on the mask. It is just another fashion accessory.

There are a lot of different opinions on the masks. From from the most reliable sources I have read, the N95 mask (or equivalent) will stop the coronavirus (which are about 5 microns across), so anything with a 2.5 micron filter or better will stop the virus from infecting you. If you use one of these masks, you must regularly disinfect or wash the outside of the mask, and not touch the outside of the mask with your hands, since the virus will accumulate there. Hands to the face is a common infection mode. We all touch our faces a lot, so I think that will require a learning curve.

The surgical masks MIGHT stop an infected person from infecting others (because the inside of the mask becomes moist causing the virus to stick), but it WON'T stop an uninfected person from being infected. The filter isn't small enough to stop individual virus cells from passing through the mask. Nevertheless, I still think it would be better to wear a surgical mask (if you can't access an N95 mask), and at least stop droplets containing the virus (that would get caught by the mask) than opting out of the mask completely. Without any mask, you have absolutely no protection. Again, if the mask remains moist, which it probably will, the virus will stick to the moisture.

Whenever you remove the mask (whichever mask you have), you should disinfect your hands and face. Otherwise, you might be infected by virus on your skin that then come into contact with your mucus membranes in your nose, mouth or eyes.

• Like 2