Employment Contract

exploringlife2

exploringlife2

My new gf works in an grocery store. Her contract ends in May. What happens if you break this contract? Like not show back up for work again. Many people looking for this kind of job.

Paddy

Question 1 is what does the contract say, if anything, on the subject? 

to_dave007
1 hour ago, exploringlife2 said:

My new gf works in an grocery store. Her contract ends in May. What happens if you break this contract? Like not show back up for work again. Many people looking for this kind of job.

If it's Gaisano she works in.. or Metro.. or Prince..  her salary is likely about 360 to 400 peso per day.. for 6 month contract..  following which they must re-apply and re-submit all the required documents.  Yes.. there are lots of people chasing these jobs.  Lots of unemployment here.

SkyMan
1 hour ago, exploringlife2 said:

I doubt much of anything.  Question though, are you committing to support her at least until June even if you break up?  My MIL has worked as a guard downtown for years and her income was vital to the family.  She has a few more years yet before qualifying for some kind of retirement. She had a US boyfriend head over heels in love with her but he got annoyed because of her work and not being able to chat all the time.  He asked her to quit and promised to support her but she didn't want to risk it so they broke up.  Just know that while her income is poultry to you, it has been her lifeline.

• Like 4
Goetz1965

Its common for workers just not to show up for work if they don't like the work anymore. Nothing will happen to them, they just quit.
The employer will not pay any longer, so no more money, no SSS/Philhealth... If that was even paid before!

If you work at SM they pay you thru a BDO bankcard, so if you just quit that account wont work and youre just out of money.
Easy controll too.

lamoe
23 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I doubt much of anything.  Question though, are you committing to support her at least until June even if you break up?  My MIL has worked as a guard downtown for years and her income was vital to the family.  She has a few more years yet before qualifying for some kind of retirement. She had a US boyfriend head over heels in love with her but he got annoyed because of her work and not being able to chat all the time.  He asked her to quit and promised to support her but she didn't want to risk it so they broke up.  Just know that while her income is poultry to you, it has been her lifeline.

Totally agree - if you're asking her to make a commitment (quit work - you didn't say) - then be willing to make one yourself. If not and she just wants to quit that's different  - up to you.

It's not uncommon here to be asked what most westerners consider very personnel questions such as "how much you make" Here OK to ask that and how much are her monthly expenses, including give / send  to parents?

You didn't say where she is - if says 20K / 30K especially if she lives at home.:scratch_head:

exploringlife2

She makes 8k a month. Must pay boarding house and expenses out of that. The main reason for her working is to support her younger sister to get through High School. I do understand I must take care of her expenses if she quit the job which includes her younger sister.

lamoe
45 minutes ago, exploringlife2 said:

She makes 8k a month. Must pay boarding house and expenses out of that. The main reason for her working is to support her younger sister to get through High School. I do understand I must take care of her expenses if she quit the job which includes her younger sister.

There have been many many threads here - you haven't said if you've researched them yet - if not, review the ones that have the most pages associated with them

Due Diligence for Online Dating is a very good one

to_dave007

Canadian I know here in my town married his sweetheart last year.  He is just retiring and she is early 30's.  She just started a DepEd teaching job (20,000 a month) about 3 years ago, and he is asking her to quit that job..  Pretty much ALL of her Pinoy friends and family are advising her to keep the job.  I think for next school year it may well cause issues between them.

His position is easy to understand..  he's bringing more than enough cash into the family.. with savings and pension.. that she really never needs to work again.  And he gets bored and wants her to be more available to him during the day and during the week. He resents the limits her job puts on him.

It's also easy to understand HER position.  She makes more than ANYONE else in her family ever did.  She worked for YEARS to finish university..  to get licensed. and to get the job she has now.. She has "made it".. she has "arrived"..  and here in the province teachers are treated with very high respect within the community.  He is asking her to give that up.  AND..  she is 30 years younger then he is..  which means MOST LIKELY she will outlive him by many years..  and she would like the job in those years.

This is something they SHOULD likely have dealt with before they got married..    

to the OP..  why do you want her to quit?  is it just she can be with you more?  what happens to HER (and her sister) if you leave her for whatever reason.. including death.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Woolf

Cost me money that my wife is going to work every week day, but

she needs to see other people and I do not need a nurse 24/7, even at the age of 76 I can take care of myself

I never understood why some want the wife around 24/7

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Headshot
2 hours ago, exploringlife2 said:

Who wants your GF to quit her job? Is it her or you? That makes a lot of difference in what you responsibilities are. Of course, you can choose to take on additional responsibilities if it is her who wants to quit, but if is is you who wants her to quit, then you have already taken on the responsibilities (whether or not you wanted them. The contracts here are not the kind of contract that is binding on either party. They basically say that one party will pay another party a certain amount for a certain amount of work. If either side wants to break the contract (and it is done all the time), then the contract is ended.

Jobs are hard to come by here, so if it is you who wants her to quit, make sure you are really committed to your GF before asking her to give up a job she already has. It may not be all that easy for her to get another job if you decide you aren't committed after all. 

• Like 1
Headshot
1 hour ago, to_dave007 said:

Canadian I know here in my town married his sweetheart last year.  He is just retiring and she is early 30's.  She just started a DepEd teaching job (20,000 a month) about 3 years ago, and he is asking her to quit that job..  Pretty much ALL of her Pinoy friends and family are advising her to keep the job.  I think for next school year it may well cause issues between them.

His position is easy to understand..  he's bringing more than enough cash into the family.. with savings and pension.. that she really never needs to work again.  And he gets bored and wants her to be more available to him during the day and during the week. He resents the limits her job puts on him.

It's also easy to understand HER position.  She makes more than ANYONE else in her family ever did.  She worked for YEARS to finish university..  to get licensed. and to get the job she has now.. She has "made it".. she has "arrived"..  and here in the province teachers are treated with very high respect within the community.  He is asking her to give that up.  AND..  she is 30 years younger then he is..  which means MOST LIKELY she will outlive him by many years..  and she would like the job in those years.

This is something they SHOULD likely have dealt with before they got married..    

to the OP..  why do you want her to quit?  is it just she can be with you more?  what happens to HER (and her sister) if you leave her for whatever reason.. including death.

My wife and I went through the same thing ten years ago. My wife was also a DepEd teacher (second and third grades), and it quickly became apparent that DepEd would ruin our life together if she continued teaching after we got married. DepEd basically treats their teachers like slaves (regardless of how respected they are by the community). They force no-notice weekend work assignments on them during the school year, and then between school years, they tell the teachers that there will be meetings and training sometime during the break, but then won't tell them when the meetings and training will take place. The school break meetings and training are mandatory attendance, and the teachers will not be paid for the school break months if they don't attend (even though the pay for the summer months is really the pay for the school year spread out over 12 months).

Between that, and all the bullshit DepEd and school administration was throwing her way, we decided she would be better off not teaching than having both of us suffer due to DepEd's poor treatment and the constant stress she was encountering while teaching. We could not have even planned trips because we never knew what her schedule would be. So, she went into DepEd and resigned her position. It was incredible how much pressure DepEd, her principal and the other teachers tried to put on her to stay, but she was determined and left. It is very likely that she could never again get another teaching position with DepEd because of her leaving, but that is OK. She will always have an income due my pensions (even if she burned through all the money in our savings), and she knows that I am completely devoted to her.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3
to_dave007
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

My wife and I went through the same thing ten years ago. My wife was also a DepEd teacher (second and third grades), and it quickly became apparent that DepEd would ruin our life together if she continued teaching after we got married. DepEd basically treats their teachers like slaves (regardless of how respected they are by the community). They force no-notice weekend work assignments on them during the school year, and then between school years, they tell the teachers that there will be meetings and training sometime during the break, but then won't tell them when the meetings and training will take place. The school break meetings and training are mandatory attendance, and the teachers will not be paid for the school break months if they don't attend (even though the pay for the summer months is really the pay for the school year spread out over 12 months).

Between that, and all the bullshit DepEd and school administration was throwing her way, we decided she would be better off not teaching than having both of us suffer due to DepEd's poor treatment and the constant stress she was encountering while teaching. We could not have even planned trips because we never knew what her schedule would be. So, she went into DepEd and resigned her position. It was incredible how much pressure DepEd, her principal and the other teachers tried to put on her to stay, but she was determined and left. It is very likely that she could never again get another teaching position with DepEd because of her leaving, but that is OK. She will always have an income due my pensions (even if she burned through all the money in our savings), and she knows that I am completely devoted to her.

To make matters worse here in the province.. some of these teachers here..  including the wife of my Canadian friend work in some VERY remote mountain schools..   In her case she needs more than an hour to get to work..  during which she must ford several mountain streams.

Headshot

My wife worked at the elementary school in Tabunan up near Mount Manunggal when I first met her, so I know what you mean. Then, DepEd transferred her to an elementary school down in the city. The problems were basically the same in both schools. Oh, and both schools had principals who stole money from the teachers (mandatory donations) for the privilege of teaching at their school.