Woolf

LTO to implement driving school requirement for driver’s license applicants in April

Woolf

Cebu Daily News

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/287879/lto-to-implement-driving-school-requirement-for-drivers-license-applicants-in-april

LTO to implement driving school requirement for driver’s license applicants in April 

By: Irene R. Sino Cruz February 13,2020 - 08:21 PM

CEBU CITY — Those, who want to apply for a driver’s license by April, would have to undergo training with an accredited driving school.

Starting April, the Land Transportation Office would only process applications for a driver’s license from those, who took up a driving course in accredited driving schools.

Victor Caindec, Land Transportation Office in Central Visayas (LTO-7) director, said the agency would implement the Enhanced Driving School Accreditation and Standardized Driver Training and Education as mandated under the LTO Memorandum Circular No. 2018-2176, as soon as they would receive instructions from their head office.

He said that as of the moment, LTO had not yet implemented this memorandum.

The memorandum requires all applicants to take up a driving course in accredited driving schools.

Driving schools’ accreditation

However, in Cebu the major driving schools in the region, including those in Cebu, had yet to apply for accreditation, Caindec said.

He cited the region’s 21 accredited driving schools were all small operations despite the agency’s call for big driving schools to apply for the accreditation.

Caindec clarified that LTO would only process the driver’s license applications of those who underwent training with accredited driving schools.

He said that under the new regulation, driving schools would be required to transmit electronically the certificates of their students who completed the training.

According to Caindec, this procedure would be similar to the electronic transmission of medical certificates of the applicants by accredited clinics.

This was implemented to do away with the use of fake medical certificates, a practice in the past by some applicants, he said.

If a person completes training with a non-accredited driving school, he or she would still be required to undergo training with an accredited driving school so their applications could be processed, Caindec warned.

Driving school investments

Under the new memorandum, driving schools have to put in investments to acquire new vehicles, including manual and automatic 4-wheel vehicles and a motorcycle, as a requirement for accreditation.

The LTO requires the driving school’s training 4-wheel vehicle to have a dashboard camera and a brake pedal for instructors.

The other requirements include a lecture area, maneuvering area and an approved training curriculum.

Instructors are also required to have national certificate (NC) 2 accreditation from the Technical Education and Skills Development Authority.

On the question of higher fees, Caindec said the market forces would determine the rates.

He expected that driving schools would be offering competitive rates to get more students.

He reiterated that the new regulation aimed to have intelligent, better drivers in the city streets, which had been the goal set by President Rodrigo Duterte./dbs

• Like 4

Headshot

I hope they follow through, but will they?

• Like 1

SkyMan

Good opportunity for a business I imagine, for a foreigner owned driving school, you can argue there are no qualified pinoy instructors to hire.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Daddle

A school requirement is a great idea. As is the related business opportunity. The school my wifey went to was a good thing and seems successful enough. I think they have folded in a bit of a courier service, too, as they already drive all over the province.

The negative is they seem to teach filipino driving...heh. One very irritating, to me, lesson was to follow the vehicle ahead very closely to prevent anyone else from passing into that hole. But maybe that is the law here :-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Daddle said:

One very irritating, to me, lesson was to follow the vehicle ahead very closely to prevent anyone else from passing into that hole. But maybe that is the law here :-)

Unwritten law.  If you leave space someone will fill it so you might as well park.  At the least you'll inccrease the danger level around you with people trying to pass.

1 hour ago, Daddle said:

The school my wifey went to was a good thing and seems successful enough.

The school I put my wife through was good enough to get her to where I could ride with her but really not complete.  

SomeRandomGuy

I can not believe it is 2020 and this is only about to be a thing.  

I guess the wheels turn slower than normal.  Now if only they had police out there also stop traffic violations and what a wonderful country this would be. 

• Thanks 1

SkyMan
8 hours ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Now if only they had police out there also stop traffic violations and what a wonderful country this would be. 

Actually, I'd prefer thie Philippines not be turned into a western nanny state where every little detail is nitpicked.  

Woolf

SunStar

https://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/1844511/Cebu/Local-News/Student-permit-applicants-need-to-undergo-15-hour-driving-seminar

Student permit applicants need to undergo 15-hour driving seminar

STARTING in April 2020, the Land Transportation Office (LTO) will require all applicants for a student permit to undergo 15 hours of a theoretical driving course. The permit is a requirement for the issuance of a driver’s license.

The driving course is akin to a seminar that the applicant will have to undergo to learn about traffic laws and driving in general, among others.

This new requirement is embodied in Memorandum Circular 2019-2176 that the agency issued.

According to LTO in Central Visayas Director Victor Caindec, centers that will offer driving courses will have to be accredited.

“So far, 21 schools have been accredited. Same concept with medical clinics. Electronic certificates are transmitted to LTO from the accredited schools. We are also in discussions with LGUs (local government units) for public driving schools which LTO will accredit,” Caindec said in a mix of Cebuano and English.

The official said President Rodrigo Duterte wants “intelligent drivers” on the road to avoid accidents.

Based on the memorandum, individuals who complete the 15-hour theoretical driving course will receive certificates of driving course completion, which will be automatically transmitted to the LTO by driving course centers.

The 15-hour theoretical driving course will be divided into three sessions, which will include Introduction to Driving and Traffic Rules and the Land Transportation Related Special Laws where 13 traffic laws will be discussed.

Each session will be five hours.

The LTO did not regulate the cost of the course, but the driving course centers that applied for accreditation had to pay P5,000 for a 90-day provincial permit before these can be issued the two-year permit from the LTO assistant secretary.

Permit renewal will cost P3,000.

Driving school instructors had to pay a P1,000 accreditation fee that will be valid for two years. Instructors must also score 85 percent or above on the theoretical exam.

Under the new setup, student permit applicants will have to pay more aside from the P317.63 LTO fee since they will also have to pay for the online medical test, a drug test and now the theoretical driving course.

In 2019, the LTO 7 reported more than 40,000 drivers who violated traffic rules, more than double the 18,000 violators in 2018. / HBL / PJB

• Thanks 1