SkyMan

Oil plug gasket?

SkyMan

Looking for a (3 actually) oil plug gasket for my bike.  Aluminum or copper washer.  I have some on order but need them sooner.  Tried the local auto parts and they had some but not my size which is a pretty common size which is probably why they're out of stock.  Tried the Yami dealership but they always ask what bike it's for and I say Yamaha Raider and they try to send me to the Suzuki dealer and I say no, it's a Yamaha, look, I just need an oil plug gasket.....  At least they did have 6 liters of YamaLube in stock.  Anyway, I'll try the Nut & Bolt shop but any other good ideas as to where to find them?  I don't really want to go all the way to a dealership and pay dealership price.

• Like 1

Dafey

I've always called them 'crush washers'. They are recommended for 1 time use but I've used them multiple times and never had an issue. Realistically they are not holding back a lot of pressure. Put the old one back on and check it after running a few kilometers for leakage. Then when the local autoparts dealers get them back in stock, buy a half a dozen.

• Like 4

Woolf

I always used the old washer, never had a problem

• Like 1

SkyMan
3 hours ago, Dafey said:

I've always called them 'crush washers'. They are recommended for 1 time use but I've used them multiple times and never had an issue.

Yes, you're supposed to replace with each oil change and I usually reuse them too but the bike is 10yo now so I figured it was due.  Worst case is you get a drip every few miles and as long as you're checking your oil on occasion it should be no problem.  Realize this all started with having to change and elbow on the exhaust.  I did already have the new crush rings for the exhaust but now I'm having to take off one (and possibly both) of the oil lines so might as well change the oil at the same time.  

Success though, the nut & bolt place had an assortment and did have the right size.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1