Maintenance Items you may be ignoring

SkyMan

52 minutes ago, Paddy said:

There were a couple of models in our Masbate City Ace but many more Jet pump models available. 

I doubt if the well guys I know have ever seen one, let alone installed one. 

BTW @lamoe, that slot behind the hole is to break the casing - if your screwdriver is too big!😄

It is,  but that's another story

The hole that the outlet was in was almost the exact size of the outlet body - no access  from room side.

Used this - no inside / outside corners - "out of stock sir"  - made my own - hidden anyway

image.thumb.png.a0bb6ba321e53804e6638c5758f8afd0.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• lamoe

• Woolf

• Paddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And it might be costing you money.  I only have one to add here but maybe others would have some other maintenance experiences or general good maintenance advice they are free to add here.  Particular

I was looking for light switches. As for asking the help, waste of time, I never bother. If they come and watch me, I ask if they need some help finding something.

@Dafey for you have a look here  https://www.firefold.com/blogs/news/solid-vs-stranded-cable-the-pros-and-cons-of-each

Posted Images

Ozepete

We recently upgraded our bore pump here to a 3HP 11300 litre per hour at 60PSI and the whole job of raising the old pump coupling the new one and re-installing back down the bore hole, took us (Me.. useless, two very handy sons and the boss) a little over an hour. 

In keeping with Skymans thread, there are a few things to consider with bore pumps..

1: every 90 degree bend restricts water flow so best to plan a reasonably straight pipe run.

2: always have at least one 'recovery nylon rope' connected to the down the hole bits

3: cover the bore case top to prevent gunk dropping into it. 

4: power the single phase pump via a three phase contactor so that all wiring is disconnected to the pump when off. This prevents electrical corrosion (electrolysis). 

Bore set up 2020 3HP.png

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
6 hours ago, Woolf said:

I am using stranded wire, seems to work ok 

I was told that stranded wire breaks down because of vibration? Not sure if this is correct as I always farm electric out since I'm allergic.

• Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Dafey said:

I was told that stranded wire breaks down because of vibration? Not sure if this is correct as I always farm electric out since I'm allergic.

Hmmm

I always learnt that stranded wire is less likely  to breakage

extension cords are always stranded

depending of how you take insulation off ,you can mark the single stranded wire, and it will break there with vibration

• Like 2
SkyMan
1 hour ago, Woolf said:

extension cords are always stranded

Mainly for the flexibility aspect.

3 hours ago, Ozepete said:

We recently upgraded our bore pump here to a 3HP 11300 litre per hour at 60PSI and the whole job of raising the old pump coupling the new one and re-installing back down the bore hole, took us (Me.. useless, two very handy sons and the boss) a little over an hour. 

In keeping with Skymans thread, there are a few things to consider with bore pumps..

1: every 90 degree bend restricts water flow so best to plan a reasonably straight pipe run.

2: always have at least one 'recovery nylon rope' connected to the down the hole bits

3: cover the bore case top to prevent gunk dropping into it. 

4: power the single phase pump via a three phase contactor so that all wiring is disconnected to the pump when off. This prevents electrical corrosion (electrolysis). 

Bore set up 2020 3HP.png

I have a constant pressure system.  The controller is about the size of your silver container box there.  It takes the VECO lines plus a ground from the pole and converts the single phase to 3 phase so there are 4 conductors down the well.  This allows the controller to turn on the pump slowly, analog rather than a digital bang on bang off.  So, it maintains the set pressure with no surges.  I do have a small pressure tank, 5 gallons to hold the pressure while the pump spins up.  

I have a safety line on mine but the common way to raise and lower is pulling by the down pipe but I don't think I'd do that with PVC.  Also, as a last resort, the wires are attached in such a way you could possibly raise it that way.  I think they are 10ga solid.

My well cap is a couple inches of the casing split and then rewelded with a bit of material inserted then plate on top.  There's a large nut welded on the size with a bolt to secure it but that was probably overkill.  On top is another nut/bolt maybe 1".  I can remove that to stick a funnel in for when I want to bleach the system.

And there's another deep well maintenance item.  Bleach your system periodically.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey

Thanks Woolfman,

I think the vibration issue is covered in the article but called out as 'Magnetic interference'.

Again, I am nowhere near an authority on electrical and have only heard this from peeps that 'should' be authorities.

stranded cables are not ideal for preventing electronic interference as the air channels in between each strand amplify the “skin effect” created by the magnetic fields along the cable's surface

• Administrator
Salty Dog
8 hours ago, Dafey said:

Again, I am nowhere near an authority on electrical and have only heard this from peeps that 'should' be authorities.

You must be talking about LinC members...:rolleyes:

SkyMan

Who is happy to not own one of these anymore?

image.thumb.png.1d7b77139c95d4f6b32d48e23a2a780f.png

I found out a cool thing about my bike a while back.  When I add oil I generally just razor knife the top off a 1.5 liter coke bottle and wipe out whatever Coke residue is left.  Well, I found that the threads on the bottle are a close enough match to the threads in the fill port of my bike to screw it in.  Now I cut off the bottom of the bottle and screw it in.  Then I can just stick the liter bottle of oil into the tall funnel and leave it sit to drain out every last drop and not worry and a breeze knocking it over and making a mess.  Same works on my Ranger though not as tight.

I have used that trick  for years

SkyMan

First time I've had vehicle(s) where the bottle threads didn't just slide into the port so the funnel sits there ok but would fall over from the weight of a bottle being stuck into it.

cookie47

Definitely not as cheap as a modified coke bottle but having owned one absolute delight to use. 

Screenshot_2020-02-18-16-08-15-502_com.android.chrome.png

• Like 1
SkyMan
2 hours ago, cookie47 said:

Definitely not as cheap as a modified coke bottle but having owned one absolute delight to use. 

Screenshot_2020-02-18-16-08-15-502_com.android.chrome.png

There's a fairly funny video I find when searching for how to change oil on my Yamaha Raider.  The raider has 3 oil plugs and all have to be drained for a proper fill.  The guy in the video bought 3 of the above and attached them 'sort of' with bungies to collect into a single pan.  Of course, he dumps oil all over the place.  It's not that hard to just open one at a time and wait for the drips to stop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1