Maintenance Items you may be ignoring

SkyMan

SkyMan
13 minutes ago, Paddy said:

We used MASELCO registered electricians. They did the same thing. I didn’t say anything - but it seems pretty clear to me if the outlet says “solid” use solid not stranded (it’s also easier to use solid wire in a push in fitting)!

Most of the wire available here is stranded and most of the outlets are push type (which I won't buy).    ???????

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• lamoe

• Woolf

• Paddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And it might be costing you money.  I only have one to add here but maybe others would have some other maintenance experiences or general good maintenance advice they are free to add here.  Particular

I was looking for light switches. As for asking the help, waste of time, I never bother. If they come and watch me, I ask if they need some help finding something.

@Dafey for you have a look here  https://www.firefold.com/blogs/news/solid-vs-stranded-cable-the-pros-and-cons-of-each

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Paddy said:

We used MASELCO registered electricians. They did the same thing. I didn’t say anything - but it seems pretty clear to me if the outlet says “solid” use solid not stranded (it’s also easier to use solid wire in a push in fitting)!

When I tapped into existing wall outlet (typ only 1 per room) to add 2 more - several of the wires came out when pulling outlet to access back- WTF - b!tch to get back in  - tinned only very tip of wires.

Said feck this -  after getting wires back in and pull testing  - made an extension cord since all holes in outlet used and would had to cut access grove in wall for external wires then splice into existing wires. Outlet also used to supply ceiling fan and outside light

Using only 1 existing socket of the 3 socket outlet to insert plug for dual outlet 5M / 14 Ga,  wall mounted extension cord. Outlet located behind cabinet.

Additional outlets are for phone / tablet chargers, fan and PC - all less than 1 A

Edited by lamoe
SkyMan
13 minutes ago, lamoe said:

When I tapped into existing wall outlet (typ only 1 per room) to add 2 more -

My house is 20ft square.  I put 15 outlets in it and added 1 or 2 more.  Hahahaha  They probably only put 1 per room because it's such a PITA to push stranded wire into a push type outlet.  If only there were another way.......:idontknow:

One of my pet peeves here is that multi-switches for lights aren't really multi switches but multiple single switches crammed into one flimsy plastic rack.  They don't even have the decency to jumper the switches for you.  Trying to wire up a triple switch and cram it into a gang box can be a real PITA and then there's so much wire in the box the switches bulge out in the middle.

• Haha 1

I am installing a "slave" breaker panel and light + outlets in my small extension to my house

I am using stranded wire, seems to work ok 

I can get a 5.5 mm sq  into a omni outlet push in, also get it out again

see picture below, ya  not finished yet, still working on it

office breaker panel.jpg

2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Trying to wire up a triple switch and cram it into a gang box can be a real PITA and then there's so much wire in the box the switches bulge out in the middle.

This was a task the MASELCO registered electricians absolutely excelled at. I was most impressed with the way they did it. Ditto for the sockets. Very neat work. Mind you, future maintenance or changes are likely to be a nightmare!😀

SkyMan
7 minutes ago, Paddy said:

This was a task the MASELCO registered electricians absolutely excelled at. I was most impressed with the way they did it. Ditto for the sockets. Very neat work. Mind you, future maintenance or changes are likely to be a nightmare!😀

I'll be bringing over a lot of US switches and outlets for the new house after I get enough of a design together to count what I need.  

I imagine the reason they use stranded wire is that it's much easier to pull it through that orange flex tubing.

cookie47

NEVER seen an outlet with "push in" wire connectors till i got to PH. What a pita particularly having already bought stranded wire already. Ace HAS got screwed connection type however . NICE.

SkyMan
7 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

NEVER seen an outlet with "push in" wire connectors till i got to PH. What a pita particularly having already bought stranded wire already. Ace HAS got screwed connection type however . NICE.

I bought some not long ago.  I think I looked at Lacion Ace HW and didn't find them or at least ones I wanted.  I don't think Home Builders either.  Eventually found them at Lilo-an CitiHW.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Houses in US  had both types in single outlet w/stripping guide

Slot behind hole was to release wire

image.png.ebb48f923efdbab0c2674d3ff0840814.png

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 1
cookie47
12 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Lacion Ace

Yeh, Asked sales guy, Do you have outlets with screws for connecting the wires Huhhh,, (Deer in headlight moment). No sir,, ok,, Looked further along displays, AHHH, outlet with screws. 

• Like 1
SkyMan
4 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

Yeh, Asked sales guy, Do you have outlets with screws for connecting the wires Huhhh,, (Deer in headlight moment). No sir,, ok,, Looked further along displays, AHHH, outlet with screws. 

I was looking for light switches.

As for asking the help, waste of time, I never bother. If they come and watch me, I ask if they need some help finding something.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Haha 3
7 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I was looking for light switches.

As for asking the help, waste of time, I never bother. If they come and watch me, I ask if they need some help finding something.

I'm learning the proper terms :lol: - now when I do find them I ask what they call them

Wire nuts = wire twisters

Caulk = Silicon

Spackle - skimcoat

Joint compound = same

Snaps = automatic buttons

Edited by lamoe
Ozepete

Seems that submerged bore pumps haven't caught on in the Phils yet! 

Venturi assisted above ground pump systems use approx twice the power to deliver the same water flow and are a pain in the butt to install and maintain compared to submerged types! 

• Like 2
43 minutes ago, Ozepete said:

Venturi assisted above ground pump systems use approx twice the power to deliver the same water flow and are a pain in the butt to install and maintain compared to submerged types! 

There were a couple of models in our Masbate City Ace but many more Jet pump models available. 

I doubt if the well guys I know have ever seen one, let alone installed one. 

BTW @lamoe, that slot behind the hole is to break the casing - if your screwdriver is too big!😄

• Haha 1
SkyMan
1 hour ago, Ozepete said:

I guess that means it's a good thing my well is too deep for a jet pump to work.  The only value I can see of a jet pump is being able to work on it at the surface but I'm not sure what you could do with it.  All of them I've seen here were noisy too.  I would have to take off the well cap to hear mine if at all.