President Duterte finally orders end of VFA with United States

Dafey

MickyG

I agree we should be self reliant but not by being a bunch of prixs in the process

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• wondersailor

• Dafey

• lamoe

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

..and jihadist muslims.

One less obligation for the US military and taxpayer.  

in what I gather from President Duterte's seeming lack of concern with China's buildup on islands previously controlled by the Philippines, he doesn't regard those contested waters as seriously as the

Posted Images

wondersailor

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
fred42
21 hours ago, wondersailor said:

This obviously has nothing to do with Trump but after everything considered I reckon he will consider this news as a big US financial win.
The Philippines are about to cut of their nose to spite their face.
I quite liked DU30`s drug policies but since then it all went down hill real fast.

• Like 2
SkyMan
On 2/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, liquido said:

In a rambling speech on Monday he said U.S. nuclear weapons were being stored in his country.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

BossHog
On 2/11/2020 at 3:55 PM, liquido said:

Is this for real???

The Mutual Defense Treaty signed in 1951 might be next. Unfathomable why he'd tear up these agreements over some perceived personal slights.

• Like 3
lamoe
2 minutes ago, BossHog said:

The Mutual Defense Treaty signed in 1951 might be next. Unfathomable why he'd tear up these agreements over some perceived personal slights.

How long have you lived here?:sarcasm::rose:

1 hour ago, BossHog said:

I think China pressured a little bit to tear up this agreements, so that money flows. More might come, as more money is needed.

liquido

So when the terrorist parties begins after 180 days will China and Russia help out?

• Sad 1
wondersailor
2 hours ago, BossHog said:

It would be for a mentality healthy leader looking out for his people's welfare. How old is Mr. Duterte now?

lamoe
57 minutes ago, liquido said:

So when the terrorist parties begins after 180 days will China and Russia help out?

YES - by sending in massive amounts of "advisers"

• Administrator
Dafey

Terminating VFA wrong move – US Defense chief

United States Secretary of Defense Mark Esper on Tuesday said abrogating the Visiting Forces Agreement (VFA) between Manila and Washington was a move in the “wrong direction.”

“We have to work through the policy angles, the military angles. I’m going to hear from my commanders. But you know, in my view, it’s unfortunate that they would make this move,” Esper said.

“I do think it would be a move in the wrong direction as we both, bilaterally with the Philippines and collectively with a number of other partners and allies in the region, are trying to say to the Chinese, ‘You must obey the international rules of order. You must obey, you know, abide by international norms,’” he added.

While Washington boosts its presence and competes with Beijing “in this era of great power competition,” Esper reiterated that Manila was moving “in the wrong direction.”

“We just got the notification last night. We’ve got to read it. We’ve got to digest it. [We have] 180 days. We’ve got to work through it, and we’ll just take a deep breath and take it one day at a time,” he said.

Malacañang, however, disputed Esper’s statement, maintaining that terminating the agreement was “a move in the right direction.”

“From our point of view, the decision to terminate the VFA is a move in the right direction that should have been done a long time ago,” Palace spokesman Salvador Panelo said.

He added that it was time for the Philippines to strengthen its defense capabilities.

“Reliance on another country for our own defenses against the enemies of the state will ultimately weaken and stagnate our defense mechanisms. We must stand on our own and put a stop to being a parasite to another country in protecting our independence and sovereignty,” Panelo said.

“Our studied action is consistent and pursuant to our charting an independent foreign policy, with our foreign relations anchored solely on national interest and the general welfare of our people,” he added.

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/terminating-vfa-wrong-move-–-us-defense-chief/ar-BBZVKyx?ocid=spartandhp

SkyMan
10 minutes ago, Dafey said:

He added that it was time for the Philippines to strengthen its defense capabilities.

Don't look to the US to fund that.

12 minutes ago, Dafey said:

We must stand on our own and put a stop to being a parasite to another country in protecting our independence and sovereignty,” Panelo said.

Not a good day to be in the RP military.

• Like 2
Headshot
55 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Don't look to the US to fund that.

Don't look to China to fund increased military defense spending in the Philippines either...

It will be interesting to see what Duterte does now that his move has been called. It would have been so much easier, if he had just called President Trump in the first place. I suspect their problems could have been resolved.

• Like 2
Davaoeno
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

Freeing yourself from your  would be owner  always comes at a price !!