PeterC

Credit Card Details

PeterC

Some banks provide hotlines for credit card holders to perform some transactions, such as balance inquiry, redeem rewards etc., I think these hotlines are connected to call centers.

The card holders shall tell the operator card number, personal details such as birth date etc.

How do the banks ensure card holders' details will not leak through the operators?

Edited by PeterC

Jawny

The operators you are speaking to already have access to the data.  That is, when you inform the operator of your birthdate, they already have that on record (at least it is a common feature for them to get that information when enrolling). If I understand correctly, one thing they don’t have is the security code printed on the back of the card.  As well, they don’t have the card.  So, using your personal information doesn’t necessarily assure the operator they can use the account for illicit purposes.  

• Like 1

smokey

They always.ask for the 3 numbers on back 

PeterC

Besides the 3 digit number on the back, bank will also send a one time password to the card holder.

Is  there any transaction people can do merely with the card number and personal information but without the the number on the back?

Dafey
1 hour ago, PeterC said:

Is  there any transaction people can do merely with the card number and personal information but without the the number on the back?

For transactions under 1500 pesos I don't believe you need ID. Over that you need to show ID to the cashier so an unscrupulous cashier might be able to nickle dime it.

Online you need to produce the security number on the back proving you have the card. If your card is stolen or out of your possession then this could happen.

A security note...Sign your card in small writing and underneath write "please see ID" so no matter what the card companies will not hold you responsible for purchases on a stolen card

Jawny

My credit card does not send a one time passcode.  If I am making an online transaction, the digits on the back (the CVV) are sometimes used, not always. There are online merchants which do not require the CVV.  

SkyMan
2 hours ago, PeterC said:

Some banks provide hotlines for credit card holders to perform some transactions, such as balance inquiry, redeem rewards etc., I think these hotlines are connected to call centers.

I think most foreign banks have an app where you can do these things if you have wifi.  No idea if local banks have this ability because their terms are not to my liking.

• Like 1

PeterC
44 minutes ago, Jawny said:

My credit card does not send a one time passcode.  If I am making an online transaction, the digits on the back (the CVV) are sometimes used, not always. There are online merchants which do not require the CVV.  

You credit card number could be easily stolen for illicit use, e.g. in a restaurant the waiter will take you card to the cashier and then return to you, people have lots of time to copy your card number and the CVV  if they wish to.

• Like 1

Jawny

My technique is to not use my credit card for purchases at restaurants or other places the merchant can take the card away from my view and copy data.  

SkyMan

My technique is to use it wherever they take them and call my bank if something funny shows up.  Happened once in over 10 years.  Somebody may have taken a trip to MNL on PAL and then to BKK on CP but I didn't pay for it.

Paddy

As @SkyMan says, if something shows up that you don’t recognize, call (the number is on your card probably).

If something shows up from a merchant you recognize and it’s not supposed to have happened, call them first. Mistakes can happen. If the merchant doesn’t, or won’t, fix it, then call the issuing bank.

Reputable banks (and other merchants) quite often insist on background and drug testing for call center employees. This is one way they aim to maintain trust with their customers. The information the agent is asking for is to identify you and your account(s) positively. Trust has to exist.

Multi-factor authentication is becoming more prevalent. It doesn’t always work internationally. My UK bank (and I’ve been an overseas customer of theirs since the mid-80s), can’t or won’t send international texts. They know my Canadian cell phone number. They know my Canadian address and they know my email.  I didn’t keep my UK cell phone after Mum died - big mistake it seems!