Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

US B-2 (tourist) Visa renewal process

SkyMan

I'll add to this as more comes in but if anyone (or their spouse or child or whatever) has a B-2 visa that needs to be renewed, I thought this would be a useful topic.  I know few have them and most that do probably get another type visa before the B-2 runs out so probably not a common thing.  The B-2 (most if not all) are good for 10 years and my wife's expires next month so we renewed her RP pp (also expires next month) so she should get a new pp and visa, both now good for another 10 years.

The embassy website does have a link under Non Immigrant visas "Renew my Visa (B1/B2)" so it looks like a different process from a first time applicant but really it's not.  

Step 1 is to pay and it's best to get that started but as long as it's done before the end of step 3, that's fine.  You can't finish step 3 without it but you can come back to finish step 3 whenever the payment is in.  Right now the payment is $160, however, for some unknown reason, it must be paid in pesos at the ridiculous rate of p54 so it's p8640.  I pondered trying to pay in $ at the consulate but too much of a PITA even if they did have a means for that so I paid online with BPI express.  You can also pay online with Bancnet or pay cash in a BPI branch.  When you click the payment link there's a 6 digit number you use as the reference number.  The payment won't be registered with the Embassy system for about a day and may still take a few hours beyond their reported times.  

Step 2 is filling out the DS-160 online.  Fairly simple but for some reason they want parent's birth dates and maybe some other items we had to look up.  Unlike the original form they only wanted info on her last 5 US travels.  DOA and length of stay.  And previous US Visa history.  The payment reference number is not required for this step.  Many pages of yes/no questions regarding illegal intentions like terrorism, drugs, prostitution, human trafficking like any of those people are going to admit it.  At the end of this you get a DS-160 app number.

Step 3 is to set an Interview appointment.  You (she) needs an account for this and you go through a few pages of bio data with much the same info as the DS-160 but you do get to enter info about document delivery.  The first time through this I could select home delivery but it wouldn't accept the address because I hadn't entered a state but there was no box for it.  Page glitch I guess.  Eventually you have to enter the DS-160 number and the payment number.  And if the payment number from BPI hasn't registered yet it doesn't work.  Come back later and try again logging in with her account and going through all the pages again but at least it does remember what you put in before and on a later try, the home delivery option page worked so I was able to get that in.  When the payment number finally registered you then have to pick an appointment date/time.  Seems like 1-2 weeks were the earliest available but I took one that coincided with my VA appointment so we can go up together.  

I think the 1st time process is the same as above without having any US visitor or visa data to enter.  The only thing about renewal is that hopefully we will get an email that the interview isn't necessary and we can just 2GO the pps and application page to the Embassy.  There were earlier appointments but I didn't want to be rushed to get her a flight to Manila and then find out it wasn't necessary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

SkyMan

Well, she had her interview yesterday.  We never received any letter that she could do it by mail.  Maybe they don't do that any more.  On the page for the renewal it says that if you can answer all the list of questions yes then it can be done by mail and they'll send you a letter saying so, but there's no vehicle for letting them know you this. It also says if you answer no to any of the questions you need an interview so go ahead and make an appointment.  We made an appointment because I didn't see the point of waiting around for a letter that might never come.  Of course, by making the appointment it might have signaled them that she needed one so that's why no letter ever came.  :idontknow:  Anyway, she said the interviewer didn't look Pinoy but Chinese.  But he asked a lot of Pinoy type questions that don't see as being germane to a US tourist visa.  Why don't you have any kids?  How are you surviving here without income?  Why haven't you applied for an immigration visa?   A bunch of bs like that.  Good thing I wasn't there I guess as I would have asked what the hell that has to do going to the US on vacation.  Anyway, visa approved again.  Apparently she got cheers from the staff when she went back to the hotel.  They are used to Filipinas coming back from the embassy in tears.  She didn't tell them it was a renewal.

• Thanks 1

Headshot
4 hours ago, SkyMan said:

She didn't tell them it was a renewal.

Why didn't she tell them that in the beginning? It likely would have cut out most of the stupid questions and shortened the interview considerably. Glad to hear she got her visa renewal approved.

SkyMan
7 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Why didn't she tell them that in the beginning? It likely would have cut out most of the stupid questions and shortened the interview considerably. Glad to hear she got her visa renewal approved.

That was referring to the hotel staff.  Of course the interviewer knew it was a renewal with all that info including trips to the US and previous visa info on the DS-160 form.

• Haha 1

Headshot
4 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

That was referring to the hotel staff.  Of course the interviewer knew it was a renewal with all that info including trips to the US and previous visa info on the DS-160 form.

So the interviewer knew it was a renewal and still asked all of the stupid questions? Some things never change.

• Sad 1

SkyMan
2 minutes ago, Headshot said:

So the interviewer knew it was a renewal and still asked all of the stupid questions? Some things never change.

Yeah, so the answer to why haven't you applied for an immigration visa is that we don't want to immigrate.  And the answer to the other stuff is nunya.  She even laughed when he asked why we haven't had kids yet thinking it was outside the interview but then she saw he was serious.  What does that have to do with getting a tourist visa?

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Yeah, so the answer to why haven't you applied for an immigration visa is that we don't want to immigrate.  And the answer to the other stuff is nunya.

You mean that would have been YOUR answer.  :oldtimer:

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1