Sign in to follow this  
Talisay Kid

Dependent ID / marriage certificate

Talisay Kid

so, my wife and I will be going to Osan AB, Korea to get her ID. I called pass and ID there and they said our marriage cert needs to be "notarized" , so I looked at it and don't see a round notarize stamp. we got married at city hall Minglanilla. so, what do yall think, is it good enough or should I get it "notarized". any advice. 

Also, how do I get her ITIN number? thanks' JACE

Headshot

I think you need to get on the PSA website and order some certified copies of your marriage certificate. It is likely that the certificate you are looking at is the one you got from Minglanilla, and that isn't considered an official record. How long have you been married?

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Jawny

While you’re at Osan AB, you might be able to apply for the ITIN. There is a form used which can be easily gotten from the IRS online.  A form W7.  At Osan, there may be an IRS certifying agent who’s can verify the ID and such for the W7.  If you don’t use a certifying agent, the W7 can still be sent to the IRS, bit it would require that passport ID to be sent to the IRS. The same can be done here, as there is a certifying agent here.  Just may be simpler while in Korea. 

SkyMan

I doubt you can file a W-7 at the base but check with the legal office there.  Maybe?  There's a short list of circumstances under which the ITIN can be filed. By far the most common is to apply for it with a tax return.  If you can't get the ITIN at the legal office, you may be able to get them to notarize a copy of the bio page of your wife's passport and that will suffice for the W-7.  The IRS will NOT accept a Philippine notary with good reason.  Then, file your taxes with the W-7 and send it the ITIN processing center, not your normal filing address.  Address is on the W-7.  Include the US notarized copy or if you can't get that include your wife's actual passport.  If you're not yet a member of the RAO, I recommend joining and using their mail system.  Office is across from SM Cebu.  The IRS will send back the passport in a few weeks and you'll get the ITIN a few weeks later.  Read the W-7 instructions for details.

Does your wife have a visa to Korea?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Headshot

BTW, without a SSN or an ITIN, it is pointless to get her a dependent ID card. They require the SSN or ITIN to register the person for DEERS now.

• Like 1

Salty Dog
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

BTW, without a SSN or an ITIN, it is pointless to get her a dependent ID card. They require the SSN or ITIN to register the person for DEERS now.

When did they change that? My wife had neither, but was listed with DEERS at the same time she got her ID Card in Manila. 

• Like 2

Headshot
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

When did they change that? My wife had neither, but was listed with DEERS at the same time she got her ID Card in Manila. 

They changed the requirement in 2019. Our experience in Manila was the same as yours when we first got her an ID card. My wife got her ID card renewed in Singapore, and the ID guy told us that DEERS would drop her if there was no SSN or ITIN listed with her ID. We didn't have her number with us, so we got the renewed card anyway (at least she could buy in the BX and Commissary). DEERS contacted me about a month ago to inform me that she has been dropped and isn't eligible for DEERS until she does the ID renewal over again with a SSN or ITIN this time. The funny thing is that our daughter isn't even old enough to have an ID card, but she is eligible for DEERS. I suspect that we will need to take their SSN cards with us from now on when we travel.

• Like 1

SkyMan
12 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I suspect that we will need to take their SSN cards with us from now on when we travel.

Or put stuff like that in your phone.  I have SSS and PhilHealth #s in mine.

Headshot
6 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Or put stuff like that in your phone.  I have SSS and PhilHealth #s in mine.

Good idea. I just realized that I do have her SSN in my phone, but I forgot it was there. I guess it won't do me much good if I can't remember I have it.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Talisay Kid

my wife said she already did the PSA deal. so it should be good. as far as the ITIN, pass and ID at Osan said they could "generate" a number there so she doesn't need an SSAN. that's what they said. I just worry too much and like every i dotted etc. before I do anything. thanks for all your comments! yall are great!

• Like 1

Headshot
2 hours ago, Talisay Kid said:

my wife said she already did the PSA deal. so it should be good. as far as the ITIN, pass and ID at Osan said they could "generate" a number there so she doesn't need an SSAN. that's what they said. I just worry too much and like every i dotted etc. before I do anything. thanks for all your comments! yall are great!

Let us know what actually happens.

SkyMan
4 hours ago, Talisay Kid said:

as far as the ITIN, pass and ID at Osan said they could "generate" a number there so she doesn't need an SSAN.

But I don't think that will be an actual ITIN.  On my wife's first DID they put some number on there because because we didn't have her ITIN yet.

She does need a Korean Visa though.

Edited by SkyMan

Headshot
20 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

She does need a Korean Visa though.

I don't think so...

https://www.msn.com/en-ph/news/national/filipinos-gain-visa-free-entry-to-south-korea-starting-2020/ar-BBY4zOZ

After further review, it isn't certain whether or not Filipinos need a visa to enter Korea.

https://www.pinoyseoul.com/2019/12/new-south-korea-visa-free-program-for.html

There is no final decision on the matter yet, and will be further discussed until February 2020.

Edited by Headshot

SkyMan

The government program will allow tourist groups to enter airports in inland areas, such as Seoul, Incheon, and Busan, for up to 5 days without a visa, as long as their final destination is Jeju Island.

News to me but it does say they have to be going to Jeju.  Previously, Pinoy were allowed travel to Jeju directly only.  (Or transiting somewhere else.)

Edited by SkyMan

SkyMan
On 2/3/2020 at 11:27 AM, SkyMan said:

News to me but it does say they have to be going to Jeju.  Previously, Pinoy were allowed travel to Jeju directly only.  (Or transiting somewhere else.)

@Talisay Kid  To add to this:  BI bans pinoy travel to Jeju sans Visa.

http://www.immigration.gov.ph/images/News/2020_Yr/02_Feb/2020Feb07_Press-B.pdf

2020Feb07_Press-B[1].pdf