P150 ceiling fan making a whomp sound occasionally

lamoe

I'm not concerned about the money - will get a better one if need to

Just installed one of those market stall fans mounted on the wall of our balcony - every so often it makes a whomp sound - slows down - then starts up again. Sometimes 3 or 4 in quick secession. Sometimes a few minutes between.

Is this normal for these cheap fans or is it an indication of voltage fluctuation?

Headshot
22 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Is this normal for these cheap fans or is it an indication of voltage fluctuation?

Yes.

• Like 1

Could be a quick brown out. Or the plug is loose. But that whomp is also how they slowly die. The shop exchanged ours without question.

20 minutes ago, lamoe said:

I doubt that it is voltage fluctuations, I guess that your lights are not blinking

Go buy a cheap volt meter and you can check. I think cdr-king is still in e-mall, maybe

or get it from lazada

here is one   

https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/lcd-multimer-digital-multimeter-backlight-acdc-ammeter-voltmeter-ohm-tester-meter-dt-9205a-handheld-i273438748-s400176859.html?spm=a2o4l.pdp.recommendation_2.5.44225e2exUf2zd&mp=1&scm=1007.16389.126158.0&clickTrackInfo=902e8d68-11dc-4248-a0e2-8557a612b6a6__273438748__10100226__trigger2i__124582__0.274__0.29471126__0.0__0.6882258__0.29604498__0.5243158__4__3__PDPV2V__247__null__null__0__

For how long did you have it ?

if for a while could be dried out oil/grease in the motor bearings,  take it apart and give it some wd40, to loosen it

if it is a swing one check for bindings

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

This has happened to my cheap fans but the blades were hitting or knocking into something because the fan sometimes slips down it has clip.  I have this fan over our kitchen sink and I constantly have to adjust the clamp.

Edited by M.C.A.
the.lone.gunman

I know that sound. They go whomp whomp before they explode and burn. Then the blades come off and decapitate you. You shoud return it for a refund.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TimL said:

A $3.00 ceiling fan?  Wow. That must be a real gem. 

Didn't say it was quality - my house fans are

Have seen lots of them in Carbon - typically over the meat to keep fly's off.

Does put out a rather strong flow

• Like 1
Davaoeno
4 hours ago, the.lone.gunman said:

I know that sound. They go whomp whomp before they explode and burn. Then the blades come off and decapitate you. You shoud return it for a refund.

I had one and I read the fine print. It said that decapitation is not covered by the warranty  and that they will not accept any returns by decapitated people 

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
23 hours ago, Woolf said:

For how long did you have it ?

if for a while could be dried out oil/grease in the motor bearings,  take it apart and give it some wd40, to loosen it

if it is a swing one check for bindings

Just fired it up after testing at 138

20200130_131441[1].jpg

2 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Just fired it up after testing at 138

Aahh  it is for bohol,  are you moving to there ?

I had one of those, it is junk

1 minute ago, Woolf said:

Aahh  it is for bohol,  are you moving to there ?

I had one of those, it is junk

Nah - but she misses family so visit often

TheMatrix

The symptoms you describe say it's a bearing issue.  Replace the fan.

• Thanks 1

Have a 20"? there I use for night breeze - WD-40 1st - if no go - then smaller one for my outside office

BTW - her family was shocked when I had a window screen and door installed in out 1st BR. In pic you can see the window one for this room. Both BRs on 2nd floor and window screens removable for cleaning

Set up a table / chair so fan could be placed  outside blowing into room at night. 

Gets down to about 24 C (75 F)  but trees block wind - can't leave BR door open for cross ventilation anyway (no screens in house :rolleyes:)

Had sliding screen installed in her parents BR and her BIL is having same for their room.

Just had BD celebration and they made sure to show everyone that there were screens on BR windows

Prices in Bohol (Inabanga) for 3 window screens (2 are 140 x 140, 1 is sliding) 2 screen doors  came to less than P10K - good quality and workmanship - couldn't move 1st BR screen door -  tried - openings too different :rolleyes: