Availability for purchase of Sony Hi-8 camcorder (playback)

Jawny

I have a collection of Hi-8 cassettes recorded with a Sony Handicam. My intention is to transfer these to a digital format.  My old camcorder is defective and no longer can be used.  I’m hoping some members know of a camera store or similar where an older camcorder can be purchased.  They are available through eBay, but all come from the U.K. OR USA. In most cases the shipping is much more than the cost of the device, as well as all are used and likely hard to get assurances they are usable.

Any suggestions are welcome. 

BossHog

That's why you avoid at all costs buying proprietary hardware (Sony is notorious for incompatibility issues).

That being said this link might help,

Jawny

Useful link.  I don’t have issues with the transfer of data.  Just don’t have a playback device.  

rfm010

Cant give any real help here as when i had this situation i did get a used camera from ebay while in the states, but:

maybe a large pawnshop?   Many years ago i used to see used vid cams in a mall in greenhills metro manila.  There was a floor of booths dedicated to used electronics , cant imagine it would stiil be there.  

Anyway, to a side issue or 2:

The camera wont need to be sony, my original cameras were sony, my replacement for replay a samsung.  Reg 8, hi8, all good.

have you looked at your tapes to check their integrity?  Many of my tapes had become like petri dishes for fungi, video quality suffered, sometimes no good at all.  Would also quickly clog up the playback head.  I had some cleaner cassettes but often had to use 90%alcohol and swabs on both tapes and heads.  Many tapes would also stick and tear.  Separating the tape meant taking apart the cassette and slowly unwinding the tape while separating the stuck part with some very thin plastic (razor blade was problematic).   Several tapes required splicing, often multiple splices.

so i suggest you look into that first in case you havent, and if there are problems you can decide beforehand if the project is worth it.

Jawny

Useful to know info.  If I locate a playback device I’ll be aware.