Kreole

Do members have experience with AirLink an internet service provider to more remote areas not covered by municipal providers?  I am just now reviewing their contract which requires 5 months advance payment followed by a monthly subscription fee.  Not cheap.  Herein are the rates and contract.  The cheapest contract is P2999 for "up to" 5mbs with no cap.  I am curious as to how that has worked for others.  For example, do they provide good uninterrupted signal, good equipment maintenance, customer service, etc.?  AirLink contracts it signals from PLDT and Globe, no mention of Smart.  However, didn't PLDT buy out Smart a few years ago?  Thanks ahead.

Service Rates.jpeg

Subscriber Contract (PDF).pdf

lamoe

Does any pocket WiFi work in any area close?

I ask because I just had Globe at Home installed outside of Inabanga (2 Km from transmitter but in middle of tall trees).

Latest version of Globe pocket WiFi wouldn't work but older one did (barley - text only - depending on time of day)

Had an antenna installed about 50 Ft up wired to a "Black Mamba" sim card router - works with any sim card - P6,400 from Lazada  - works great - good enough to watch YouTube, other movies without buffering

P7,500 all in (pole, cable, router, antenna) - could have done myself but NFW getting on roof to mount pole for LOS to signal station at main road:oldtimer:

P999 - 30 days - 65 GB cap

P1499 - 30 days - 100 GB cap

also 7 and 15 day plans

Edited by lamoe
Woolf
47 minutes ago, Kreole said:

However, didn't PLDT buy out Smart a few years ago? 

As far as I know SMART is the cell phone arm of PLDT has always been

SMART or PLDT bought up SUN some years ago

Do you have a link to airlink ??

I thought this technology is dead, maybe not. This is based on AirMax (which has been shelfed by most operatos). It should have been used to cover the last mile.  I really wonder what the quality will be like. 

They need to install a small antenna (dish) on your premises, from there you run it to your indoor router (CPE). Are installation costs included?

(PLDT bougth Smart, and PLDT bought Digitel including SUN).

Edited by Cgu
Kreole

PLDT is then a monstrous monopoly, having gobbled up its competitors.  This is not good news for the consumer.  It can pretty much dictate any price structure and service (mostly lack of) that it wants without accountability.  Smart is one prime example.  Abysmal service, even charging customers while the signal is not even being transmitted for months.  Of course there are no consumer protection laws here, so I do not expect anything to improve.  One neighbor told Smart or Globe, I don't remember, to literally f*ck off; that he was not going to pay for a service he was not getting.  The company threatened to sue him for breach of contract, and told them that he would be happy to go to court to expose the shitty lack of service which he had been monitoring.  They never did.

Edited by Kreole
Kreole
1 hour ago, Cgu said:

Are installation costs included?

No, separate charges per pole and antenna, depending on location.

12 minutes ago, Kreole said:

PLDT is then a monstrous monopoly, having gobbled up its competitors.  This is not good news for the consumer.  It can pretty much dictate any price structure and service (mostly lack of) that it wants without accountability.  Smart is one prime example.  Abysmal service, even charging customers while the signal is not even being transmitted for months.  Of course there are no consumer protection laws here, so I do not expect anything to improve.  One neighbor told Smart or Globe, I don't remember, to literally f*ck off; that he was not going to pay for a service he was not getting.  The company threatened to sue him for breach of contract, and told them that he would be happy to go to court to expose the shitty lack of service which he had been monitoring.  They never did.

:lol::lol: you should have talked to dennis uy, i believe he was here during sinulog, guessing all the security ( could not have been all for du30). He would have promised you the best connection, just need to pay in advance:cool: and wait .....wait....:itsokay: and wait... maybe a 3rd carrier is coming...

Paddy

This service appears to be reselling PLDT/Globe fibre services without the need for fibre all the way. 

The high up front cost seems a bit “off”, as does the bit where you sign up for rate changes due to currency fluctuations. 

The biggest issue for me is that you would still be subject to PLDT/Globe performance just with some additional contract conditions. I am unimpressed by either company when it comes to uptime. 

In November we finally got a decent cellular service with Globe at Home. 4G, pretty good - way better than anything we’ve ever had. Then Tisoy came through. I have no idea what happened but Globe’s infrastructure here on Masbate must have been a) weak and b) had multiple failure modes. 4G has been off the air since Tisoy. 3G has been “spotty”. There was nothing, zip, nada for 3 weeks post Tisoy and then Ursula came through. We got “day time” 3G back this morning...There has been not a word from Globe about what happened, what they’ve been doing, or any schedule info. I doubt Airlink will perform any better. 

If you can get a Globe cellular signal (perhaps using an external antenna) you could get an “up to 5MBPS” data capped service with at least 150GB / 30 days for 2000 pesos “ish” using Globe at Home prepaid wifi. 1500 + antenna costs to get started. Max loss when no service - whatever promo you last signed up for. No guarantees that it will be there all the time though!

liquido

With all the fast moving technology wouldnt it be nice if you could just by pass this country completely for WIFI..I know..In my dreams