Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Passport # update?

SkyMan

This probably isn't an issue often but I'll ask anyway.  Can you correct the passport # of a pax on an airline reservation?  I believe if you make int'l flight reservations you have to put in the passport # and I think I read the last time I did that that it was very important to get the number right because it couldn't be changed.  I know if you get it wrong and show up with the wrong pp# you're screwed but it sounded like corrections weren't possible.  Anyone have experience with this?  My wife's pp is being renewed so I won't know the number until it's done but I'd prefer to start making reservations and everything else depends on the flights.

Edited by SkyMan

Daddle

That happened to me when my PP was swiped in Costa Rica and got a new one the day before departure. No issue at all. Use the old number. Fix it at check-in. (My opinion, anyways.)

• Like 1

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, Daddle said:

That happened to me when my PP was swiped in Costa Rica and got a new one the day before departure. No issue at all. Use the old number. Fix it at check-in. (My opinion, anyways.)

I wonder if this may depend on the airline's rules then?  Why even bother taking a pp# then?  Just enter whatever pp# shows up at check-in.

to_dave007

Must not be so unusual..  as same will affect others too..  

Can you delay putting her passport number in?

In worst case, I would show up at airport with new passport AND the old one..  and beg forgiveness..  Can't imagine that they wouldn't let you fly.

SkyMan
34 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

Can you delay putting her passport number in?

I believe you have to put it in when you make the reservation online.  Not sure if that comes before or after you pay.

Paddy

Any half-decent analyst would recognize that while a passenger name is unlikely to change (between booking and travel - except in the case of marriage), passport numbers typically change every several years. 

As far as I am aware, airlines insist that the name on the ticket matches that in the passport - and changing the name on a ticket is a major exercise.

Ones’s frequent flyer account can often be used to store passport details (which will then be copied to a booking). I don’t know if the passport details will be changed on a current booking, if they are changed in the frequent flyer account but the alternative is then to use the “Manage my Booking” option to make the change. If that doesn’t work - call the airline. If that doesn’t work, present both passports at check in (can’t do self-check in if that’s the case😀)

if possible, when booking and if the new passport number is not known, I would omit it (unless it is required data) and update later. If it is required at booking then enter the current one and update later. It shouldn’t present any issue unless the name changes at the same time.

There are many scenarios where you might need to make a booking and express request a passport renewal at the same time (happened to my sister when our dad died). You might not know the passport number until the day of, or day before, travelling. I’m sure the airlines recognize this. 

In the case of marriage and the wife’s name changing, you should probably speak to the airline before you book if the passport number is required data. It is a common scenario that is unlikely to be explained in any FAQ or help item online. 

Edited by Paddy
Additional
  • Like 2

Jawny

If you need reassurances that a booking can be made with an expiring passport, Google search reveals it is a pretty common situation and airlines allow for updating information after the initial booking. 

• Like 1

newtocebu

We have had this come up with a recent booking for an upcoming trip

We needed to renew my sons passport prior to the trip, but it wasnt available / ready at the time of booking

The online booking did request a passport number ( and was a mandatory field ), so I did some searching on the website under FAQ and found this ( and copied it for reference if we encounter any problems during check in ) -

Q: My passport number has changed since I made the original booking as it required renewal. Will this impact my e-ticket?

A: Passport details will be viewed upon check-in with the airline. If you have received a new passport since you made the booking, this will have no effect to your reservation.

• Like 1

SkyMan

Well, now I have her new pp# but I'm a touch hesitant on booking because her interview isn't until the 27th.  Hoping the interview isn't required though and can be done by mail (2GO).

• Like 1