Kahuna

Lock Makers, Please Stop!

Kahuna

Pretty self explanatory and correct.  :hi:

SkyMan

I'm sure this guy is making some money on these videos but it seems like he could make a lot more by consulting with lock makers to make more secure locks or patenting his own.  Or perhaps lock makers don't actually want to make secure locks but just something that looks like it's secure.  

This particular lock (the real one, not the clone) was very helpful to me in Officer Training School, a very high speed, high stress environment where savings seconds in you daily life wherever possible was important.  Every detail of your dorm room had to be a certain way and was inspected often.  The padlock on your security drawer had to point to your squadron number and for me, that was 7.  So I had to leave it on 0007 and I set the combo to 1007.  Click the first wheel and I'm in.  Way ahead of other trainees spinning their cheap dial locks which also had occasion to move off of their squadron numbers earning them demerits.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Thanks 1

Kahuna
41 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I'm sure this guy is making some money on these videos but it seems like he could make a lot more by consulting with lock makers to make more secure locks or patenting his own.  Or perhaps lock makers don't actually want to make secure locks but just something that looks like it's secure.

He's a lawyer and lock-picking is his hobby.

Somewhere along the line he's taken up a cause to show others just how "safe" or "secure" they truly are, as opposed to what they've been sold.

I don't know his history but video wise I'm betting that people who have watched them are now very concerned by the ease in which locks they've trusted are picked or bypassed.

Perhaps some of those were asking to sue lock makers for false advertising or misleading the public about their products?

from his utube site:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm9K6rby98W8JigLoZOh6FQ/about

This channel aims to educate consumers about weaknesses and defects in security devices so they can make better security decisions. It should go without saying, but I’ll say it anyway: do not use any of the information presented in my videos for illegal purposes. My mailing information is below. Do NOT send anything you want back unless I’ve agreed in advance to do so. LockPickingLawyer P.O. Box 341321 Bethesda, MD 20827 USA Please note that I do not recommend locks, nor do I provide assistance in opening them. For advice getting started in locksport, I recommend the “University” at LockLab.com. For all other inquiries, email me (channel name at gmail). One final note - I usually receive over one hundred emails each day, and though I spend a couple hours a day answering emails, I can’t answer them all. Apologies in advance if your email is one that slips through the cracks. https://www.twitter.com/lockpickinglwyr https://www.instagram.com/lockpickinglawyer

Edited by Kahuna
info added
  • Like 1

Paddy
54 minutes ago, Kahuna said:

getting started in locksport

Olympic event soon, maybe?

Kahuna
6 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Olympic event soon, maybe?

http://locksport.com/

lots of info here but I don't see an Olympic event yet but maybe in the near future..:hi:

SkyMan

Probably in the next SEA games though.  They include anything.

Kahuna
23 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Probably in the next SEA games though.  They include anything.

http://lockwiki.com/index.php/Locksport

There are listings for competitions if you are interested in that link  :hi:

savarity

Does he make any money on these vids? I kind of think not. They're only a minute or two long (not optimal for making money on youtube), and don't appear to be monetized (no ads).

I'd say, it's just his hobby. Seem to remember he won some award at a lockpicking competition not long ago.

• Thanks 1

Kreole
19 hours ago, Kahuna said:

Pretty self explanatory and correct.  :hi:

This guy is a real treasure.  As I mentioned before, I have never been interested in locks, but I am fascinated in how he goes about his business.  I am not sure who really benefits more from these videos, whether it be the consumers who haven't a clue about the security of their locks or the lock pickers who are eager to learn how to pick and dismantle the locks.   Whichever, they are interesting.  He is so methodical and patient, and his speaking ability is really exceptional.  He would be the first person who I would reference should I be interested in a secure lock or one that is difficult to pick or break.  I understand the more secure the lock, the more expensive, but that is probably well worth the investment.  Pity the poor person who buys a lock without any experience or foreknowledge.  There is another guy on the internet who is a master safe breaker.

• Like 1