Taal Volcano erupted today! (12 Jan 2020)

Janneo

"466 volcanic earthquakes "  I can vouch for that number :mellow: 

Still have quakes but much further apart and most are weaker than before. 

Looking good , knock on wood.

TAAL VOLCANO BULLETIN: 15 January 2020 8:00 A.M.

For the past 24 hours, Taal Volcano’s activity has been characterized by continuous but generally weaker eruption of the Main Crater due to magmatic and hydrovolcanic processes. This ongoing eruption generated dark gray steam-laden plumes that reached approximately 1000 meters high and dispersed ash to the southwest of the Main Crater.

New fissures or cracks were observed in Sinisian, Mahabang Dahilig, Dayapan, Palanas, Sangalang, Poblacion, Mataas na Bayan, Lemery; Pansipit, Bilibinwang, Agoncillo; Poblacion 1, Poblacion 2, Poblacion 3, Poblacion 5, Talisay and Poblacion, San Nicolas. A fissure transected the road connecting Agoncillo to Laurel, Batangas.

The Philippine Seismic Network plotted a total of four hundred sixty-six (466) volcanic earthquakes since 1:00 PM, January 12, 2020. One hundred fifty-six (156) of these were felt with intensities ranging from Intensity I – V. Since 5:00 AM on January 14, 2020 until 5:00 AM today, there were one hundred fifty-nine (159) volcanic earthquakes and twenty-eight (28) of which were felt with intensities ranging from Intensity I – III. Such intense seismic activity probably signifies continuous magmatic intrusion beneath the Taal edifice, which may lead to further eruptive activity.

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) emission was measured at an average of 1686 tonnes/day on 14 January 2020.

Alert Level 4 still remains in effect over Taal Volcano. This means that hazardous explosive eruption is possible within hours to days. DOST-PHIVOLCS strongly reiterates total evacuation of Taal Volcano Island and high-risk areas as identified in the hazard maps within the 14-km radius from Taal Main Crater and along the Pansipit River Valley where fissuring has been observed. Residents around Taal Volcano are advised to guard against the effects of heavy and prolonged ashfall. Civil aviation authorities must advise pilots to avoid the airspace around Taal Volcano as airborne ash and ballistic fragments from the eruption column pose hazards to aircraft. DOST-PHIVOLCS is continually monitoring the eruption and will update all stakeholders of further developments.

• Like 2
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Janneo

• SkyMan

• Woolf

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to Taal I found my new desktop background. Too bad about the powerlines, but it's Philippines after all. From  ABS-CBN website.

My view today. I have been playing computer games all afternoon and felt a multitude of small earthquakes and heard a lot of thunder. Didn't think much about it until my landlord calle

found it on Utube...  

Posted Images

20 hours ago, Janneo said:

Still have quakes but much further apart and most are weaker than before. 

Looking good , knock on wood.

That is a good sign. Keep us updated!!! 

• Like 1
Janneo

Number of quakes still dropping. I've felt a just a couple since waking up. Some more I can't really feel but see some visual clues.

Seeing how much ash there are in areas that are further away from the volcano, I can't believe how lucky we have been here.

TAAL VOLCANO BULLETIN: 16 January 2020 8:00 A.M.

At 6:17 and 6:21 AM today, Taal Volcano erupted short-lived dark gray ash plumes 500 meters and 800 meters high, respectively, that dispersed ash southwest to west of the Main Crater. Activity in the past 24 hours has generally waned to weak emission of steam-laden plumes 700 meters high that dispersed ash to the southwest.

The Philippine Seismic Network plotted a total of five hundred sixty-six (566) volcanic earthquakes since 1:00 PM, January 12, 2020. One hundred seventy-two (172) of these registered at magnitudes M1.2 – M4.1 and were felt at Intensities I – V. Since 5:00 AM on January 15, 2020 until 5:00 AM today, there were one-hundred three (103) volcanic earthquakes plotted, fourteen (14) of these registered at magnitudes M1.4 -M4.0 and were felt at Intensities I – III. Such intense seismic activity likely signifies continuous magmatic intrusion beneath the Taal edifice, which may lead to further eruptive activity.

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) emission was measured at an average of 4186 tonnes/day on 15 January 2020.

Alert Level 4 still remains in effect over Taal Volcano. This means that hazardous explosive eruption is possible within hours to days. DOST-PHIVOLCS strongly reiterates total evacuation of Taal Volcano Island and high-risk areas as identified in the hazard maps within the 14-km radius from Taal Main Crater and along the Pansipit River Valley where fissuring has been observed. Residents around Taal Volcano are advised to guard against the effects of heavy and prolonged ashfall. Civil aviation authorities must advise pilots to avoid the airspace around Taal Volcano as airborne ash and ballistic fragments from the eruption column pose hazards to aircraft. DOST-PHIVOLCS is continually monitoring the eruption and will update all stakeholders of further developments.

SkyMan
On 1/12/2020 at 7:43 PM, Janneo said:

strangely my dogs doesn't seem to care.

They have resigned themselves to the end.

• Like 1
Janneo
Just now, SkyMan said:

They have resigned themselves to the end.

The glass is half empty kinda guy huh? :-)

Headshot
4 hours ago, Janneo said:

The glass is half empty kinda guy huh? :-)

Nah. Skyman believes the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. He isn't an optimist or a pessimist. He's a realist.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Life is tough enough for many dogs in the Philippines. Of course if someone wanted to make a point when taking these photos, they could have made a more humane statement if they helped the dogs instead...

SkyMan
55 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Life is tough enough for many dogs in the Philippines. Of course if someone wanted to make a point when taking these photos, they could have made a more humane statement if they helped the dogs instead...

Maybe they did?  My wife and I are concerned about the poor abused horses on the island.  I'll bet they weren't part of the evac plan.  :cry:

• Like 1
Janneo

Only 32 volcanic earthquakes for the last 24 hours.

While the bulletin specifies a wide intensity range I'm pretty sure the intensities are dropping fast also. I only felt 1. In normal times I might not even had noticed that one.

TAAL VOLCANO BULLETIN 18 January 2020 8:00 A.M.

Activity in the Main Crater in the past 24 hours has been characterized by steady steam emission and infrequent weak explosions that generated white to dirty white ash plumes 50 to 600 meters tall and dispersed ash southwest of the Main Crater.

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) emission was measured at an average of 360 tonnes/day yesterday, consistent with weak plume activity at the Main Crater.

The Philippine Seismic Network plotted a total of six hundred sixty-six (666) volcanic earthquakes since 1:00 PM, January 12, 2020. One hundred seventy-four (174) of these registered at magnitudes M1.2 – M4.1 and were felt at Intensities I – V. Since 5:00 AM on January 17, 2020 until 5:00 AM today, there were thirty-two (32) volcanic earthquakes plotted, registered at magnitudes M1.5 -M3.3. The Taal Volcano Network recorded eight hundred seventy-six  (876) volcanic earthquakes including six (6) tremor events and twenty (20) low-frequency earthquakes. Such intense seismic activity likely signifies continuous magmatic intrusion beneath the Taal edifice, which may lead to further eruptive activity.

DOST-PHIVOLCS

• Like 2
SkyMan

Just so you know, Ace HW, Citi HW, and all the suppliers have reported snow shovels are out of stock.

Janneo
7 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Just so you know, Ace HW, Citi HW, and all the suppliers have reported snow shovels are out of stock.

No problem. Lazada still has in stock.

• 2 weeks later...