Taal Volcano erupted today! (12 Jan 2020)

BossHog
1 hour ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

They have a habit of over stating dangers when there is none and understating them when there is here.

download.jpg.1fafd0693ead61775acff36c20dc2a15.jpg

• Like 4
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Janneo

• SkyMan

• Woolf

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to Taal I found my new desktop background. Too bad about the powerlines, but it's Philippines after all. From  ABS-CBN website.

My view today. I have been playing computer games all afternoon and felt a multitude of small earthquakes and heard a lot of thunder. Didn't think much about it until my landlord calle

found it on Utube...  

Posted Images

Headshot
1 hour ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

That is epic  send me this photo   please.  Stay safe mate.  If they said they were evacuating everyone at a 14km radius and I was 15 k away id be gone like donkey kong.  They have a habbit of over stating dangers when there is none and understating them when there is here.

It would be difficult to overstate the hazard that Taal is capable of presenting. It is one of a few super volcanoes in the Philippines, but it is, by far, the most likely to erupt violently (since it has been active in historical times but not catastrophically so). To put the size of the super volcano into perspective, the Taal caldera stretches from Tagaytay to San Jose and from Tanauan to Lemery. All of the material within that caldera was blown out during the last super eruption. It doesn't just include Lake Taal, but also everything up to the ridge lines in all directions. The unfortunate thing is that volcanologists don't know enough about super volcanoes to know how this one will behave. It could just build up Taal Island some more (like it did during the last eruption), or it could totally blow its top, which would probably wipe out anything within about a hundred kilometers of the caldera (if not more).

So, the question is ... is the super volcano in a rebuilding process, or is it getting ready to blow its top again? Nobody really knows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
rfm010

9:30pm returning to qc from a weekend in baler was getting word of the plume.  Daughter was getting pics from friends living near u. of phil (in qc) showing ashfall on car roofs.  Driving along commonwealth (main road through qc) we saw the ash swirling over the road surface similar to how a dusting of dry snow is wont to do.  Myself i'd rather have snow than a volcano.  word is that mercury drug is sold out of n95 face masks.  I have about 15 stashed away, may auction them off to wife's family.

janneo-- take the ashfall seriously as close as you are.  Really not good for the lungs.  Or car engines.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
17 minutes ago, Headshot said:

It would be difficult to overstate the hazard that Taal is capable of presenting. It is one of a few super volcanoes in the Philippines, but it is, by far, the most likely to erupt violently (since it has been active in historical times but not catastrophically so). To put the size of the super volcano into perspective, the Taal caldera stretches from Tagaytay to San Jose and from Tanauan to Lemery. All of the material within that caldera was blown out during the last super eruption. It doesn't just include Lake Taal, but also everything up to the ridge lines in all directions. The unfortunate thing is that volcanologists don't know enough about super volcanoes to know how this one will behave. It could just build up Taal Island some more (like it did during the last eruption), or it could totally blow its top, which would probably wipe out anything within about a hundred kilometers of the caldera (if not more).

So, the question is ... is the super volcano in a rebuilding process, or is it getting ready to blow its top again? Nobody really knows.

Wow! How do you know all of this… 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
rfm010

just took a walk on the upstairs terrace.   being past midnight it was dark, but it felt like i was walking on corn meal.  turns out everything is covered with a layer of black particles a bit bigger than a salt grain, a bit smaller than corn meal.  although it occurs to me i haven't actually seen corn meal in quite some time so maybe i'm getting that wrong.  but i'm impressed by the size of the pop that sent stuff that large some 60 km to us.  i suppose if it were a super pop we would have boulders on the roof.  or through the roof which doesn't sound all that bad considering i'm sort of needing to get up there and repaint it and could use an excuse not to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Janneo

It seems you have more problems with the ash up in QC than I have here. There is only a very thin layer of gray powder outside.

The lightning and thunder from above the volcano seems to have calmed down a lot. To dark now to actually see anything but one can hope the ash output has slowed down.

Soupeod
1 hour ago, Janneo said:

It seems you have more problems with the ash up in QC than I have here. There is only a very thin layer of gray powder outside.

The lightning and thunder from above the volcano seems to have calmed down a lot. To dark now to actually see anything but one can hope the ash output has slowed down.

Bud I would get the hell out of there.  If you want encouragement, watch some youtube videos of people melting from Mt. Pinatubo.

• Like 3
SkyMan

• Thanks 1

Beautiful. Ring of Fire alive and well

SkyMan
23 minutes ago, RR3 said:

Beautiful. Ring of Fire alive and well

I wonder if all those earthquakes will jiggle something loose in Legaspi or other nearby volcanoes.  Pinatubo?

SkyMan
9 hours ago, Janneo said:

Damn quakes are getting on my nerves. Less than 2 minutes between the ones I can feel and hear. Actually I am watching a key hanging from a hook and it rarely stops moving.

If you stop posting we'll assume the worst cause that's the way LinC is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
Goetz1965

Finally I can strike out that point on my bucketlist - "Flight cancelled due to volcano eruption" - lol

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-13 um 8.03.37 AM.png

• Like 2
rfm010
12 hours ago, Goetz1965 said:

Finally I can strike out that point on my bucketlist - "Flight cancelled due to volcano eruption" - lol

Bildschirmfoto 2020-01-13 um 8.03.37 AM.png

Ha!  But that's cebu pacific so you cant be sure the volcano is the real reason.

• Haha 3
MickyG

we are in south metro and schools are closed with the sh fall it is fine particle and started to arrive just about 18:00 last night. MIL has her aunty(94 years young) coming to stay from san nicholas on south side of the lake taal,where ash is up to their waists

no tremors or anything else at this time

• Like 2