Taal Volcano erupted today! (12 Jan 2020)

Janneo

My view today.

175xx.thumb.jpg.5f4e0ca81d2c7f2c476f3c209fc49dcc.jpg

I have been playing computer games all afternoon and felt a multitude of small earthquakes and heard a lot of thunder.

Didn't think much about it until my landlord called and asked if I am ok. Then I stepped outside and saw the reason for the shakes and thunder, wohaa :o .

Feels like the shakes are getting more powerfull as I type this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Janneo

• SkyMan

• Woolf

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks to Taal I found my new desktop background. Too bad about the powerlines, but it's Philippines after all. From  ABS-CBN website.

My view today. I have been playing computer games all afternoon and felt a multitude of small earthquakes and heard a lot of thunder. Didn't think much about it until my landlord calle

found it on Utube...  

Posted Images

Be safe!!

Hopefully it will not blow up. Take a short break and see how it develops.

• Like 1
Janneo

Thanks! I'm not too worried about the volcano , it's about 14 km's (9 miles) away. Might get some ash falling down.

The earthquakes are more worrisome.  There has been too many to count, but no big ones so far. A bit unnerving when they come, strangely my dogs doesn't seem to care.

As far as I know there has only been ash and no magma so they have hopefully evacuated the Island (a few people are living there on the volcano) and surrounding places around the lake.

It's quite a display watching the lightning in and outside of the plume, almost like a second new year fireworks but with loud thunder to top it up.

• Like 2
KID

Stay safe brother, Exit strategy in place ?

• Like 1
Janneo

TAAL VOLCANO BULLETIN 12 January 2020 07:30 PM

This serves as notice for the raising of the alert status of Taal from Alert Level 3 (magmatic unrest) to Alert Level 4 (hazardous eruption imminent). As of 5:30 PM PST (1730H), eruptive activity at Taal Volcano Main Crater intensified as continuous eruption generated a tall 10-15 kilometer steam-laden tephra column with frequent volcanic lightning that rained wet ashfall on the general north as far as Quezon City. Volcanic tremor was recorded continuously since 11:00 AM and two volcanic earthquakes of magnitudes M2.5 and M3.9 were felt at Intensity III in Tagaytay City and Alitagtag, Batangas were recorded at 6:15 and 6:22 PM PST, respectively.

In view of the above, DOST-PHIVOLCS is now raising the alert status of Taal from Alert Level 3 to Alert Level 4.  This means that hazardous explosive eruption is possible within hours to days. DOST-PHIVOLCS strongly reiterates total evacuation of Taal Volcano Island and additional evacuation of areas at high risk to pyroclastic density currents and volcanic tsunami within a 14-kilometer radius from Taal Main Crater. Areas in the general north of Taal Volcano are advised to guard against the effects of heavy and prolonged ashfall. Civil aviation authorities must advise aircraft to avoid the airspace around Taal Volcano as airborne ash and ballistic fragments from the eruption column pose hazards to aircraft. DOST-PHIVOLCS is continually monitoring the eruption and will update all stakeholders of further developments.

Janneo
7 minutes ago, KID said:

Stay safe brother, Exit strategy in place ?

Uhm, not really. :-)

But just because of your post i have put important stuff and some clothes in a backpack just in case.

• Like 4
SkyMan

That ash plume may raise hell with NAIA flights depending on the wind.

SkyMan

Ergo... All flights to NAIA suspended until further notice.....

Taal – Manila Airport just issued this NOTAM:

B0093/20 NOTAMN Q) RPHI/QFAXX/IV/NBO/A /000/999/1431N12101E005 A) RPLL B) 2001121104 C) 2001121500 EST E) ALL ARR FLT TO NINOY AQUINO INTL AP (NAIA) ARE SUSPENDED DUE VA IN THE VCY OF AP.

This means:

B0093/20 NOTAMN Q) RPHI/QFAXX/IV/NBO/A /000/999/1431N12101E005
A) RPLL  (ICAO code for Manila Airport)
B) 2001121104 (Date: 2020-01-12 @ 11:04 (UTC)
C) 2001121500 EST (same at EST time zone)
E) ALL Arrive, Arrival FLT TO NINOY AQUINO International Airport (NAIA) ARE SUSPENDED DUE to Volcanic Ash in the vicinity of  Airport . 

Headshot
13 minutes ago, Woolf said:

I think you can see the ash plume here

https://www.windy.com/-Satellite-satellite?satellite,15.966,119.960,7

select infra+ if not already showing

If the ash plume is covering the whole island of Luzon (as it appears from the satellite photo), Clark IAP will be closed as well

Janneo
17 minutes ago, Woolf said:

I think you can see the ash plume here

https://www.windy.com/-Satellite-satellite?satellite,15.966,119.960,7

select infra+ if not already showing

Wow! it's that big already? There is almost no wind at all here so I'm surprised it has reached that far.

I'm west of the volcano just south of the ash area. The wind usually are from the north east, but not today, lucky me.

Damn quakes are getting on my nerves. Less than 2 minutes between the ones I can feel and hear. Actually I am watching a key hanging from a hook and it rarely stops moving.

SomeRandomGuy
14 minutes ago, Janneo said:

Thanks to Taal I found my new desktop background. Too bad about the powerlines, but it's Philippines after all.

From  ABS-CBN website.

20200112-taal-lightning-185953_872-dc.thumb.jpg.f727e3d78f602c23db9a580ea2befb53.jpg

That is epic  send me this photo   please.  Stay safe mate.  If they said they were evacuating everyone at a 14km radius and I was 15 k away id be gone like donkey kong.  They have a habbit of over stating dangers when there is none and understating them when there is here.

• Like 1
Janneo
4 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

That is epic  send me this photo   please.  Stay safe mate.  If they said they were evacuating everyone at a 14km radius and I was 15 k away id be gone like donkey kong.  They have a habbit of over stating dangers when there is none and understating them when there is here.

I got it from https://news.abs-cbn.com/news/multimedia/photo/01/12/20/fiery-taal-generates-lightning. It's kinda low res but probably best to save it from there so not to worsen the quality. If I find a higher resolution somewhere I will let you know.

You might be right about the danger zone, but for now I'm staying put. It is after all a once in a lifetime experience. :-)

Ooooh crap, biggest quake so far just now. I might reconsider leaving ... 

• Like 2