BossHog

I started using www.bookdepository.com last year and have been quite satisfied with their selection, prices, and delivery to the Philippines from London. I mean I love my Kindle and you can't beat it for long boat rides but there's a joy in physical books that's hard to beat.

Prices are mostly full retail (you won't get Amazon pricing) but they do have a lot on sale too. Additionally, they have frequent country specific discounts of 10% site-wide. Good idea to subscribe to their email list and/or follow them on Facebook to be aware of the sales. But basically, if you look around the 10% discount is usually available in some fashion. For example. 10% off your second order, etc.

They quote 7-10 business days for delivery to the Philippines and I've found this to be pretty accurate. I get mine at the post office but if you live in the city you'll get residential delivery,

One thing to note. They are a consolidator and get books from multiple sources and ship them when they get them. So for example, for Christmas gifts I ordered a dozen books for my daughter. They arrived in 8 different shipments. Each shipment is supposed to incur a post office fee of (I think) of 112 or 120 pesos.  The post office has been charging me 150 per delivery because PhilPost puts the wrapped parcels of books in a high quality water-proof delivery bag. I'm good with that.

Imported books are by Philippine law tax- and VAT- exempt.

The good news is that shipping is free. Yes, free shipping! Granted you're paying full retail but on a large order I compared two carts of identical books from Amazon and Book depository. With the free shipping and 10% discount code it worked out about the same or even cheaper.

For some reason, I couldn't get them to accept my Philippine bank-issued debit MasterCard. But I got the same card to work by paying through PayPal without an account through the link on the Book Depository site. You can opt to browse and select to pay in most currencies including PHP.

Happy reading!

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

BossHog

To give an idea of their pricing and selection this is from an order I placed today:

bd1.thumb.JPG.cfcfcf063f80baf6230dba7ba8fd53e8.JPGbd2.thumb.JPG.43a540edda005dddeff6920bccaeda48.JPGbd3.thumb.JPG.2440e26cbb96065c21112751a3b53acc.JPGbd4.thumb.JPG.04d6028c32085057eb5646fe96f3f706.JPGbd5.thumb.JPG.2251a89df37605b3ce5ec37822de005d.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

lamoe
18 minutes ago, BossHog said:

I started using www.bookdepository.com last year and have been quite satisfied with their selection, prices, and delivery to the Philippines from London.

Prices are mostly full retail (you won't get Amazon pricing) but they do have a lot on sale too. Additionally, they have frequent country specific discounts of 10% site-wide. Good idea to subscribe to their email list and/or follow them on Facebook to be aware of the sales. But basically, if you look around the 10% discount is usually available in some fashion. For example. 10% off your second order, etc.

They quote 7-10 business days for delivery to the Philippines and I've found this to be pretty accurate. I get mine at the post office but if you live in the city you'll get residential delivery,

One thing to note. They are a consolidator and get books from multiple sources and ship them when they get them. So for example, for Christmas gifts I ordered a dozen books for my daughter. They arrived in 8 different shipments. Each shipment is supposed to incur a post office fee of (I think) of 112 or 120 pesos.  The post office has been charging me 150 per delivery because PhilPost puts the wrapped parcels of books in a high quality water-proof delivery bag. I'm good with that.

Imported books are by Philippine law tax- and VAT- exempt.

The good news is that shipping is free. Yes, free shipping! Granted you're paying full retail but on a large order I compared two carts of identical books from Amazon and Book depository. With the free shipping and 10% discount code it worked out about the same or even cheaper.

For some reason, I couldn't get them to accept my Philippine bank-issued debit MasterCard. But I got the same card to work by paying through PayPal without an account through the link on the Book Depository site. You can opt to browse and select to pay in most currencies including PHP.

Happy reading!

Amazon Prime has fantastic deals on e-books

Have 4 box sets (25 books for free) and  Just downloaded 26 books (3 box sets) for $2.97 total

I prefer real books but can't bet the price

Also use US library online - maybe UK has same?

Edited by lamoe

BossHog
16 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Depending on what type you read Amazon Prime has fantastic deals on e-books. I prefer real books but can't bet the price.

Ebooks are free on PirateBay.

I've actually found myself ordering some books in hardcover that I've already read in eBook format or listened to as audio books. I like to have certain types of books that are easy to refer to and flip through.

Also, field guides for wildlife and atlases in particular sort of necessitate a tree-based medium. 

Book Depository also has the full range of Moleskine journals and notebooks that I use for taking notes in the field. Much better than the small over-priced selection at National bookstore.

bd6.thumb.JPG.a95ce00e44eaa85b5724611c6d7fb341.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2