S&R vs Landers Cebu

Buko Beach

I've been a member of S&R for almost a decade and use it every trip to buy a few food items but I haven't been to Landers (yet) but wanted to know from the members that might have both memberships which one do they prefer and why? How does the pricing compare? What about the food court quality, which one is better? The S&R combo pizza was pretty good for the price.

When I first started buying from S&R it was great, things were usually in stock, not too busy and the food court was deserted in the afternoons and usually able to check-out in under a few minutes. The last time I went there (late 2017) it was packed (average weekday afternoon and no sale), not alot of selection and some of the more popular food court items were "sorry sir out of stock". The check-out lines stretched back 8-10 carts deep and It looked to me there was increased house-ware product floor space and reduced fresh food items, has the selection of fresh food items improved at S&R? I usually bought deli meats, cheese, imported snacks, frozen steaks and burgers, occasionally imported ice-cream, yogurt and fresh milk.

I watched a couple of vlogger videos on Landers Cebu and the store looks newer, cleaner with better lighting. How is the availability of products? The Landers website is pretty good for a Philippine website... it actually lists the price and availability of items in the store and they update it seems like almost every day for members who want to order online and have it delivered. That's unheard of with the S&R website. 

Does Landers allow potential members to look around before I sign up? Has anyone here tried the online delivery option... and how did it work out?

TimL

I am a member of both and was in S&R on the 27th of Dec. I didn’t pay much attention to the right side of the store as I was only in there for food. Everything that I was looking for was in stock except for broccoli which I didn’t find at Landers either. I think that the meats and fresh vegetables are better at S&R, just my opinion of course. The dry foods are pretty much a wash I think. They both carry similar but there are some things that I find at one over the other so we tend to use both.  On the 27th, just my luck, Sorry Sir, no cold bags and no carry bags either available for purchase. Boxes only, which is a bit of a struggle sometimes when I have a lot of items which I did that day since we had just gotten back from a 3 week trip out of town.   

Food courts @ both are okay. I prefer S&R’s pizza over Landers and Landers hot dogs over S&R. Haha. 

Landers delivery is good for non-fresh foods. I’ve been using it since they started it in Landers and I almost always get garbage meats and fruits. I think that they take their “on it’s way out of date” and pass it off to delivery customers who wouldn’t dare buy it if they were in the store and picked it out for themselves so that they can get rid of it. I have complained a few times about it but you know how complaining is received here. <_<
I generally use them now only to deliver stuff that isn’t very date sensitive and also for bulky or heavy items that I don’t want to have to carry home walking or in a taxi ie. Laundry and dish detergents, bulks paper towels and toilet paper, garbage bags, ziplocks, a case of UHT milk, canned goods, 12 packs of soft drinks, etc. 

Check out lines can be ugly @ both depending on days/times/sales. I refuse to go on sale days. The thing that draws my ire the most @ both is, 1 cardholder bringing their whole family clan, stands in the line and when they’re almost to the front, their clans to all come running ahead of you and join them with their stuff or in case of the food court, to give their order thus, pushing you further and further back in the line. Chaps my a$$ but, WTH are you gonna do? It’s more fun in the Philippines, right?

I find them both about the same, just some differing items like S&R doesn’t have Nestle milk and Landers doesn’t have the good “all beef” corndogs that I like. 

Edited by TimL
  • Thanks 3
Goetz1965

After what you tell I still don't understand why people pay extra for shopping there for goods they get regularly at any grocery in the malls. 

smokey
2 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

After what you tell I still don't understand why people pay extra for shopping there for goods they get regularly at any grocery in the malls. 

Because we like the cool pictures of ourselves on the cards now does that help you understand ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
Buko Beach
2 hours ago, TimL said:

I am a member of both and was in S&R on the 27th of Dec. I didn’t pay much attention to the right side of the store as I was only in there for food. Everything that I was looking for was in stock except for broccoli which I didn’t find at Landers either. I think that the meats and fresh vegetables are better at S&R, just my opinion of course. The dry foods are pretty much a wash I think. They both carry similar but there are some things that I find at one over the other so we tend to use both.  On the 27th, just my luck, Sorry Sir, no cold bags and no carry bags either available for purchase. Boxes only, which is a bit of a struggle sometimes when I have a lot of items which I did that day since we had just gotten back from a 3 week trip out of town.   

Food courts @ both are okay. I prefer S&R’s pizza over Landers and Landers hot dogs over S&R. Haha. 

Landers delivery is good for non-fresh foods. I’ve been using it since they started it in Landers and I almost always get garbage meats and fruits. I think that they take their “on it’s way out of date” and pass it off to delivery customers who wouldn’t dare buy it if they were in the store and picked it out for themselves so that they can get rid of it. I have complained a few times about it but you know how complaining is received here. <_<
I generally use them now only to deliver stuff that isn’t very date sensitive and also for bulky or heavy items that I don’t want to have to carry home walking or in a taxi ie. Laundry and dish detergents, bulks paper towels and toilet paper, garbage bags, ziplocks, a case of UHT milk, canned goods, 12 packs of soft drinks, etc. 

Check out lines can be ugly @ both depending on days/times/sales. I refuse to go on sale days. The thing that draws my ire the most @ both is, 1 cardholder bringing their whole family clan, stands in the line and when they’re almost to the front, their clans to all come running ahead of you and join them with their stuff or in case of the food court, to give their order thus, pushing you further and further back in the line. Chaps my a$$ but, WTH are you gonna do? It’s more fun in the Philippines, right?

I find them both about the same, just some differing items like S&R doesn’t have Nestle milk and Landers doesn’t have the good “all beef” corndogs that I like. 

How much does Landers charge for delivery... and how long do they take (on average) to deliver? Ever have items missing or opened/damaged?  I'm just kind of skeptical about ordering online and things getting to me in one piece... customer service in the Philippines is often just a shrug and the blank stare when things don't go well and I complain. But I guess like you said it works well with larger/heavier items.

TimL

Delivery fees start at p99 for orders under p2000 , p49 if you spend at least p2000, free if you spend p6000. All orders also have a p89 shopper fee for someone to put your order together.  Either way, cheaper then taking a taxi to get there and back for me. 

Short of the remaining shelf life’s that I mentioned in my previous post, I’ve never had anything arrive damaged. Once out of 12 deliveries, only half of my order arrived, it seems the driver forgot one of the boxes. He went back to the store and I had it within the hour. 
For cold items, they carry a cooler so for butter, cheese, etc, I’ve never had a problem. You choose an available delivery slot at checkout.
There are 3 hour delivery windows starting  between 7am-10am, 9am-12pm, 1pm-4pm, 3pm-6pm, 5pm-8pm and 7pm-10pm.

Almost every order without fail, they call and tell me that one or more items that I ordered is not in stock. They either offer a substitute item or you can just wipe that item(s) off your list and they’ll move on with the rest of your order. Lots of items not in stock on a regular basis online. You can subscribe to any out of stock item and be notified when it’s back in stock. 

Edited by TimL
  • Thanks 2
SkyMan
On 1/8/2020 at 1:15 PM, Goetz1965 said:

There's only a few things I buy at S&R. Probably the most important is 40kg bags of dog food which saves the cost of membership in a couple bags. We also like the large bags of pancake mix and the big bottles of honey. Grey Poupon is about half the price Rustans charges and Tobasco brand Srirachi sauce if they have it. That's about all we get there. 

I'll probably go this weekend as my membership expires soon and then I won't go back for a couple months before I renew.

RogerDuMond

We prefer Landers to S&R because of selection, and you can now get S&R pizza at a stand alone S&R restaurant. You don't need an S&R card for the restaurant, although there is a discount with the card.

• Like 1
lamoe

Ease of getting to each is a factor for me - Landers maybe 10 min by car - S&R - depends

Landers reminds me of Target a little - S&R = Sam's