Sign in to follow this  
rrider

Balikbayan Privilege

rrider
Posted (edited)

Ya I know, this has been gone over many times, but I can't find the info I need. So,  my wife's cousin and her husband are going to the philippines, they'll get the BB stamp for one year.  He will be returning home without her. I know  the BB stamp is for foreigners that are traveling with their spouse, but what happens when the foreigner leaves without his spouse? I was under the impression that you had to enter and leave with your spouse with the BB stamp. Where can I find official rules on this, that I can show him?

Edited by rrider

HeyMike

I do not know the official rule on this, but I always get a BB when I arrive in Cebu with my wife. My wife always returns to America while I stay in Cebu. I then meet up with my wife in America months later. Sometimes immigration asks why I am not with my wife, and I explain that she left before me. Usually that is enough. If they ask for anything specific, I explain that my wife leaves for medical treatments.

I have never had any problems leaving Cebu alone while I was on a BB. 

• Thanks 1

user333

I got a BB stamp on arrival and left the PH after 7 days by myself. When leaving, the immigration officer asked if I was marred to a Filipina. I said yes and he stamped my passport. 

• Thanks 1

to_dave007

I have been in PI on BB bias several times and have ALWAYS left the Philippines alone, BEFORE the BB visa expires, without any issue.  You need spouse with you at ENTRY, but not at EXIT.  Never had any issue.

• Thanks 2

SkyMan
5 hours ago, rrider said:

Where can I find official rules on this, that I can show him?

You're not going to find anything that specifies that it's ok to leave on a BB visa without your spouse because there's no rule one way another.  No problem leaving without her or vv.

• Thanks 1

to_dave007

One thing to keep in mind is that the BB Visa is for 12 months..  then it expires..  If your wife's cousin and her husband want to leave BEFORE that..  no problem..  whether together or not.  A nd if they want to leave AFTER that then the foreigner husband must get tourist visa for any remaining time.

NO ECC (exit clearance certificate) needed if on BB Visa..  but if on Tourist visa for 6 months or more there is a need for ECC clearance.