First human composting site set for Seattle

softail

SEATTLE — Recompose is building its first human composting location in SODO. 

The company will be the first of its kind in the world and is set to open in spring 2021. 

Katrina Spade, the CEO of Recompose, came up with the idea more than seven years ago when she was contemplating her future. “We have a ton of interest. It’s really exciting,” Spade said. 

She realized livestock have been composted by farmers for years. She was looking for an alternative for humans, so she teamed up with the WSU Soil Science Department. They used the bodies of six human donors and proved it is safe and effective for humans, as well. 

The law she helped pass goes into effect in May 2020. 

Spade worked with Alan Maskin at Seattle design firm Olson Kundig to create the space for Recompose. 

Olson Kundig just finished the $100 million remodel of the Space Needle. 

Creating a space for human composting is a new kind of first. “I’ll be honest with you. I was shocked. It was the craziest idea I had ever heard,” said Alan Maskin of Olson Kundig. Maskin went on to say he was quickly won over by the idea so much so he’s interested in it for himself.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/monday-530-first-human-composting-site-set-seattle/RKX4K3DL4NENLDE3QVJNNNZO5Y/

Makes me feel proud to be a former Seattle resident. NOT

Edited by softail
to_dave007

Shades of Soylent Green.

• Like 1
Sibonga Simon

I checked out their website -  Recompose  -  and it actually sounds pretty cool.  I kinda like the idea of being turned into something useful.  It may make up for the life I have led so far!

• Confused 1
to_dave007
1 hour ago, Sibonga Simon said:

I checked out their website -  Recompose  -  and it actually sounds pretty cool.  I kinda like the idea of being turned into something useful.  It may make up for the life I have led so far!

If it doesn't work out you can donate your body to the local taxidermist to make a good scarecrow to keep the birds away from the rice paddies.

SkyMan
2 hours ago, Sibonga Simon said:

I kinda like the idea of being turned into something useful.  It may make up for the life I have led so far!

In that case I recommend the US Congress for immediate inclusion.  Perhaps some other members would like to add their MPs?  I suppose the composting process would go faster if they were already dead but it'll sort out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Headshot
9 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

In that case I recommend the US Congress for immediate inclusion.  Perhaps some other members would like to add their MPs?  I suppose the composting process would go faster if they were already dead but it'll sort out.

When you run them through a grinder to make small bits that will compost quickly, that doesn't really matter too much.

• Like 1
Jester

When you try to run them through the grinder they will scream and yell that they are still alive,  pay no attention they lie about everything!    I imagine the political compost will be useless and nothing will grow in it. 

• Like 1