BossHog

Petron Gasulette with Lantern

BossHog
Posted (edited)

So yesterday I was filling up at the Petron station with my driver and we spotted their little gas tank and accessory shop. They had the usual 11kg tanks for home cooking and the tall ones for resto use. Then I saw these little 2.7 'Gasulette' tanks. The salesman says they're for little one burner cooking stoves "for bachelors". 

But then I spy these  lantern attachments (I really like lanterns, lol). We bought a set and tried it out this evening and it's pretty nifty. Cost was 2,500 for the tank, its contents, and the lantern.

Advantages over a kerosene pressure lantern:

1. Super easy to light. Just turn the valve open to low, wait a second or two, and then put a lit candle near the bottom and, woomph, it's on.

2, Very stable on a table. This isn't likely to get knocked over by accident or any other than monster typhoon winds.

3. Cheap to use and the big tank means you could go a very long time before swapping it for a full tank at the gas station. I forget what he said tank re-fills cost but something in the 200-300 peso range.

4. No kerosene smell and no messy refilling a small tank with a funnel.

Disadvantages:

1. It comes with a handle for hanging but I can't see using this on anything but a table due to the weight of the tank.

2. Wouldn't use it indoors as there's no regulator.

3. Not particularly portable. You wouldn't take this out night-time crabbing on a small boat or walk around with it for illumination like you would with a kero lantern.

I can see getting a half dozen of these and spreading them around the yard on tables for a late night party.

Here it is this evening before and on low after lighting....

nh.JPG.22e5eaac667d67556a85be583f76c079.JPG

gs4.jpg.cebc2f076d89f0134a7d643d4200d652.jpg

Oh, and the bright lantern light attracted a lemur who came to eat some jack-fruit tree leaves by newfound illumination.

gty.jpg.f0f5ab88b743a297203d04c1cffa8962.jpg

The lantern came with two cheap mantles. I went to a hardware store and got a pack of a dozen quality Coleman 500 C.P. (candlepower) mantles. They are more substantial and are brighter than the included ones.

12-4.thumb.jpg.62327a33491d35171014b21df80d5ab9.jpg

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 7

Jawny

Is there a regulator used?  

SkyMan

I can see my wife wanting me to get one of these for blackouts or when she and her friends hang out in the yard night.  It's often a little too breezy for candles to work.

Is that valve on the tank or the lantern?  It might be cool to get a few of the lanterns and run them off a single tank, plumbing them together with rubber hose to put up on the porch but I think you'd need to have some kind of valve on each lantern.

cookie47

Very nice,,,,, Over the years I've had a few. 

Very common in Australia with the camping fraternity.. 

37 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Is that valve on the tank or the lantern? 

The ones I've been involved with in Australia have had a separate valve on the lamp to make it easier to control brightness. 

• Like 2

KID

yep, kerosene lanterns are almost considered antiques in the states

• Like 1