Kreole

Root canal in Cebu?

Kreole

I made a post a few months ago seeking a qualified dentist to do a root canal.  I got some response and went to a couple of clinics.  However, the dentist said that it would take several different appointments, which seemed ridiculous to me.  In the US it can be done in one appointment, so why the difference here?

Jawny

I can’t explain fully, but a dentist in Korea, US trained and very skillful, required several visits. It was a single price, so the only issue was inconvenience for the multiple visits. If I recall, the entire process, time wise, required an hour or two....can’t be certain of that. He was a popular dentist and would schedule a fixed time so other patients could be treated. Made sense to me at the time. 

Jester

I have bad teeth and had several root canals,  never were they done in one visit.  I had a great dentist who would never gouge anyone! 

Salty Dog

Had one done in Florida. First visit was xrays and evaluation. Second visit did the root canal. Well most of it. There was some issue about rather the tooth could be saved. Last visit was to prepare the tooth for a cap, that would be done by my regular dentist. Four years later and it's still there. Total cost was over $3,000. Glad I had insurance. Still had to pay some though… 

savarity

I could understand a small dentist office requiring 2 or 3 visits to complete a root canal and crown.

In Thailand, all my root canals were done in one day, but in the US, it took 3-6 visits to complete root canals/crowns for some of my relatives.

Independent dentists in TH would have required 2 visits, because the crown would be made in a lab, but the dental hospital I went to in Bangkok had a lab in-house and the crowns were ready by the afternoon. Only took one day, but was spread out over the full day, sort of 2 visits in 1 day.

They were back maulers, but durability and workmanship has been great. All the dentists ive gone to in the Philippines since have seemed genuinely impressed when noting the crowns... which has partially made me worried about the quality of PI dentists. That and so far 80% of the restoration work ive had done in PI (at different dentists) has fallen out/broken in about a year. Cheap though, so not too concerned about having to keep re-doing it.

• Thanks 1

Davaoeno
8 hours ago, savarity said:

Cheap though, so not too concerned about having to keep re-doing it.

you obviously like going to the dentist more than I do  !! hehe

• Haha 2

easy44
On 1/5/2020 at 12:12 PM, Davaoeno said:

you obviously like going to the dentist more than I do  !! hehe

My dentist in Hawaii used nitrous oxide. When I got a root canal I was disappointed when it was over. Enjoyed every minute. 

• Haha 3

Gus

Just had one in Thailand .. required 2 visits ..

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

HTM

Root canal treatment removes all infection from the root system of the tooth. Most root treatments involve at least two visits to your dentist. At the first appointment, the infected nerve tissue is removed and the tooth dressed. This usually alleviates any pain from the tooth. On the second visit the root canal is cleaned, disinfected, shaped, measured and filled to prevent any further infection. Root canal treatment is a skilled and time-consuming procedure and this is reflected in the cost of treatment. It is always quicker, easier and cheaper to extract the tooth but this is rarely the preferred option

Root Canal Treatment

• Thanks 1

mikewright

Recently had root canal treatment done in India, as part of a total dental reconstruction. First visit was for the scans and assessment, second was for the endodontist to drill the tooth, clean the cavity and place a temporary tooth, third visit for the crown to be fitted. Very professional, even taking an x-ray with a hand-held device during the procedure.

• Thanks 1

lynette

A year ago, I have  my 19  years old daughter wisdom teeth (2) pulled by Dr. Lynette Chu.  If I remember it right, she gave her a checked up and then scheduled to have it pulled within that week.  Two wisdom teeth pulled on the same afternoon.  My daughter didn't have any complained at all.  In fact, I wish I took some videos after that procedure because she just keep humming.  I guess the effect of the medications.

You can just google Dr. Lynette Chu if you want to get more information about her and her clinic.

• Like 2

Jester

I did not remember,  usually a tooth that needs a root canal is infected,  the first visit would be for medication to stop the infection and then maybe 2 more visits to complete the work.

• Like 2

hyaku
24 minutes ago, Jester said:

I did not remember,  usually a tooth that needs a root canal is infected,  the first visit would be for medication to stop the infection and then maybe 2 more visits to complete the work.

Same here. My dentist in Ormoc wont do work if there is an infection. Usually its one visit to do the canals. Second to do the pillars and temporary crown. Then a last visit to fit the porcelain. They wont do it all one in case an infection might set in.

No complaints here. XRay's and a complete explanation of what he will do on a large flat screen TV in front of you

• Like 1

Jester

It usually starts with a tooth ache that sends us to the dentist.  Which is an infection, first the infection must be controlled before any work can be done. 

mikewright

Root canal treatment is sometimes prescribed for treatment of sensitive teeth, even though there is no infection. In my case it was a back tooth which had become very sensitive to cold food or drinks.

• Like 1