cookie47

Bushfires Australia

cookie47

Just for those who may be interested, Bushfires in Australia are catastrophic. 

Penrith is sweltering .A short time ago, the mercury in Penrith (Outer Sydney) hit 48.6 degrees Celsius. Please look after yourselves in Panther country.

It is also the hottest day on record in Canberra, which hit 43.6 degrees not long ago.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/01/03/australia/australian-fire-inferno-intl-hnk/index.html

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

cookie47

A big thanks to ALL countries that have helped Australia with the bushfires,, however a special note to the American and Canadian members. 

Via Euronews: Australia bushfires: What countries have offered international aid?
https://www.euronews.com/2020/01/06/australia-bushfires-what-countries-have-offered-international-aid

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan

Glad we're helping our mates!

• Like 5

Salty Dog

Please keep the Politics and Climate Change discussion out of this News Thread...:cool_01:

• Like 1

SomeRandomGuy

Even Singapore is helping out too.  This is like the Amazon Fires by 10.  

Even we are doing a 1 dollar for each rig sold is going to St Vinnies on our online store. 

Thanks to all that are donating and helping out.  

Salty Dog

I heard on TV that they've arrest several people for intentionally starting some of the fires.

I was wondering what they do to people down under that cause such wanton destruction and loss of life...

• Like 2

ttmctoad
1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

Please keep the Politics and Climate Change discussion out of this News Thread...:cool_01:

A dead skunk is political and involves climate change nowadays. 
What we’re seeing in the U.S. probably doesn’t begin to accurately describe the devastation. A couple days ago I was wondering how these fires could have practically encircled the continent without it being arson.

• Haha 1

cookie47
2 hours ago, Salty Dog said:

I heard on TV that they've arrest several people for intentionally starting some of the fires.

I was wondering what they do to people down under that cause such wanton destruction and loss of life...

183 people have been arrested since the start of the fire season. The NSW government has increased the penalty to 25 years but that will never happen. 

4 years is a general average jail time. 

The issues are widespread from kids with matches to adult arsonists and unfortunately some with mental afflictions,and of coarse lightening strikes are very much up there. 

• Thanks 2

SkyMan
32 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

183 people have been arrested since the start of the fire season. The NSW government has increased the penalty to 25 years but that will never happen. 

4 years is a general average jail time. 

The issues are widespread from kids with matches to adult arsonists and unfortunately some with mental afflictions,and of coarse lightening strikes are very much up there. 

The people or their parents should be on the hook for the bill to put the fires out plus the damage caused.  Jail time for the murder of anyone killed plus the 25 years.  

cookie47

56 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

The people or their parents should be on the hook for the bill to put the fires out plus the damage caused.  Jail time for the murder of anyone killed plus the 25 years.  

Yeh I'm with you, however a really complex problem. 

This "issue" has been around for years and despite governments of all persuasions things die down when the fires are out. However, i think this year with the loss of 2000 homes, 30 deaths (or so depending on the news outlet) half a million livestock, and a complete town may prompt something. Another article points out that your next door neighbor could be an Arsonist,quite normal in character but enjoys the thought of starting a fire. Some years ago a Rural fireman was convicted of starting fires so he could be called up "so to speak" and put out the fire he started. In the aftermath you rarely get the info of who was jailed or what was the punishment as by the time it gets to court it may not be considered newsworthy... Sad,,, 

• Like 1