Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

How to Get a Postal ID as a Foreigner

BossHog

Why a postal ID? You don't need one to pick up packages at the post office after all . But it's a handy official government-issued ID that can be used for domestic travel by ferry or plane, banking, and conducting business at government offices etc.

Also a good ID for your partner/spouse to have since as of July 2019 it's now recognized as official ID by the DFA when applying for a passport.

For foreigners you will need to have been in-country for at least six months at the time of application. 

Application requirements for foreign residents:

1. Two (2) copies of duly-accomplished application form
2. PROOF OF IDENTITY
             a. Passport – must be valid for at least six (6) months prior to application
             b. Any one (1) of the following documents valid for at least six (6) months prior to application:
                          •Alien Certificate of Registration Identity Card (ACRI-Card)
                          •Long Stay Visitor Visa Extension (LSVVE)
                          •Temporary Resident Visa (TRV)
                          •Diplomatic Visa
                          •Special Resident Retiree’s Visa (SRRV)
3. PROOF OF ADDRESS - Submit any one (1) of the following:
           •Barangay Certificate of Residency – issued within three (3) months prior to PID application
           •Certification or statement of account from hotel, transient home or any temporary residence within three (3) months prior to   application
           •Certification from hotel, transient home or any temporary residence within three (3) months prior to application
           •Notarized, if applicable, Land, House or Condominium Lease Contract
           •Bank statement
           •Credit card statement
           •School billing statement
           •Utility bill (cable, electric, internet, landline, telephone, water)

https://www.postalidph.com/faqs1.html

They said all applications now have to be processed in Manila and I was variously quoted 10-15 and 15-20 days turnaround time. They didn't appreciate it when I jested "it might take much longer if coming by PhilPost!" Looks like one month might be more realistic:

• In Metro Manila - Approximately fifteen (15) working days from application
• Other major cities and municipalities – Approximately twenty (20) working days
• Island provinces and remote barangays - Approximately thirty (30) working days

As a foreigner, if you qualify make sure you specify the three year and not one year validity:

"The Improved PID shall be valid for three (3) years for Filipinos and for foreign residents with Special Retiree’s Resident Visa (SRRV). For the rest of the foreign residents, it will be valid for one (1) year."

Bio-metrics included a webcam photo captured on site as well as electronic thumb and index fingerprints. Took them ten minutes to get a usable photo because the software kept saying "invalid pose". Turns out I was too fat tall for the Lilliputian photo booth, lol.

Fee Particulars                                        Amount

Postal ID Card + Delivery Fee                          Php 450.00

12% VAT                                                                       Php 54.00

Total PID Payment                                                 Php 504.00

For Cebu City residents you don't even have to visit a post office. There's a 'mall capture site' at SM City Cebu 2/F Gov't Services Express, Juan Luna Avenue, Mon - Sat         10:00 AM - 5:00 PM

As always, doing your own photocopies beforehand and having exact change is appreciated.

I'll post a photo when I get the PID in a month (or two).

ps. Due to the holidays and the storm there's been no mail delivery whatsoever to this island for two weeks since December 20th. The post office staff was consequently bored silly and all watching YouTube videos on their phones. They were super glad to have something/anything to do when I applied yesterday and I had six (6) postal clerks eagerly attending to my application, lol.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

SkyMan

Looks much easier than it used to be.  11 years ago I took my wife to get one and there was a list of acceptable IDs so I asked how many she needed and they said all 13.  So when it got stolen from her backpack I took her to get a DL.

BossHog

Only took two weeks to get the card. Have used it a dozen times since for hotels, boats, and banking. I don't really like handing over my ACR card or passport in those situations so this is a great alternative. 504 pesos a year is well worth it.

Jay
Posted (edited)

Does anyone know if a 13A permanent resident/non-quota immigrant visa is acceptable? BoI lost my ACR card so I don't have one even though I'm in their computer as having a valid one (which is why I'm going to need a postal ID until I can get the ACR replaced which takes 3 months.)

Edited by Jay
fix typo

SkyMan
On 3/8/2020 at 11:16 AM, Jay said:

Does anyone know if a 13A permanent resident/non-quota immigrant visa is acceptable? BoI lost my ACR card so I don't have one even though I'm in their computer as having a valid one (which is why I'm going to need a postal ID until I can get the ACR replaced which takes 3 months.)

Looks like from the above you need an ACR-I card to get the postal ID.  And you probably also need the ACR-I card to get a DL so I'm not sure what you can do but wait for the replacement ACR-I.

Jay

Huh. If I have my ACR card I won't need the postal ID anyway.  Thanks for replying though.

Meanwhile I went to BIR this morning to get a TIN and TIN ID card but the card won't be ready for pickup until the 30th. I went and got a barangay clearance this afternoon. Tomorrow I have to go to City Hall and get a cedula, then armed with these and my passport I can get a police clearance which is also a valid ID. I'm just trying to receive and encash a check. Lots of work and running around in the heat. :(

• Like 1