My brown/black brethren...how has your experience with the ladies been?

Leeroy

Particularly...how you are received, relative to those of fairer complexion. 

Be honest 

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Don't expect too many answers. I'm not aware of very many (as you say) brown/black members.

We've had a few over the years, but I'm not sure if there are currently any active members of color.

There could always be some members who just never let it be known for any number of reasons.

user333

YouTube has quite a few videos with black guys sharing their experience dating/marrying Filipinas 

to_dave007
8 hours ago, Leeroy said:

Be honest 

The SIL of my screwed up Canadian friend married an African American.  They live in the states..  Never met him.  Apparently he and my Canadian friend never got along very well..  but then my Canadian friend is pretty much a screw up.

The sister of my wife's Dumaguete sister lived with an African American partner in Chicago somewhere for some years.  She was there..  is still there..  as a caregiver. They never married.  They are not together any more.

The word "Negro" doesn't quite mean the same here as it does in US.. At least in the minds of children.  I think.  Let me illustrate with a story..  It's quite common here that some Pinoy have naturally darker complexion than others..  Don't know the details but I suspect some indigenous tribes are simply darker.  Add on top of that the fact that some people..  like farmers and fishermen..  must naturally spend more time outside in the sun..  and some people are much darker than others.  One day my wife and my son..  about 4 at the time.. were passing through the checkout line in Prince when my son sees a dark skinned man..  and blurts out..  rather loudly..  "Look Mum..  A Negro".  Course..  at the same age he would also blurt our "Look Mum..  a Bayot"..  

My wife's daily efforts for the past 10 years to lighten her skin....  with a constant procession of whitening products..  especially that orange soap that melts all over the CR..  are a complete and utter failure.  I love her anyway.

Once people know you..  I think they'll be more interested in the strength of your character than the colour of your skin.  

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 2
Paddy

I’ll be honest. In my opinion, an ordinary Filipina, despite her use of skin whitening products and desire for a baby with a gwapo Caucasian, will appreciate a flying purple people-eater - if he is respectful, resourceful and responsible and does videoke with Tagalog songs...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
SkyMan
36 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

My wife's daily efforts for the past 10 years to lighten her skin....  with a constant procession of whitening products..  especially that orange soap that melts all over the CR..  are a complete and utter failure.  I love her anyway.

Anyway?  My wife is not allowed to buy that carp and she knows I prefer dark.  After a day at the beach she'll say, "I'm so dark."  And I'll say, "yes, baby, I love it.  More, more."

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
RogerDuMond

The Philippines is like any culture, there are some Filipinas who are prejudiced, but you can't judge a whole society on the actions of a few.

• Administrator
Salty Dog

Let's not get to far off the OP topic. He appears to be asking about dark skinned men's experiences with Filipinas. Not about your Filipina's skin color...

• Thanks 1
Daddle
16 hours ago, RogerDuMond said:

The Philippines is like any culture, there are some Filipinas who are prejudiced, but you can't judge a whole society on the actions of a few.

As a datapoint, my observation, worth what you paid for it, that might be relevant to the discussion: Several filipinas I have known well have said they would never ever date a dark skinned man. Seemed to include asians as well as all other dark-skinned foreigners. Their aversion seemed irrationally strong. However none showed any animosity towards dark-skinned men we met. This is prejudice, certainly. But equality, to a point. And respectful tolerance apparently. Seemed quite unlike the typical white racism I have known.

RogerDuMond
On 1/4/2020 at 6:54 AM, to_dave007 said:

The word "Negro" doesn't quite mean the same here as it does in US..

Don't know the details but I suspect some indigenous tribes are simply darker. 

The word Negrito in the Philippines is the Spanish diminutive of the English word Negro. Negrito was coined in the sixteenth century by Spanish missionaries as a designation for several hunter/gatherer tribes. The meaning of the word is "little black people", as they are dark skinned and very short with the average male height being four foot three inches tall. They appear to still be segregated to this day, but mainly by their own choice. 

10 hours ago, Daddle said:

Several filipinas I have known well have said they would never ever date a dark skinned man.

If I were to guess, there may be several reasons for this, and I have no idea how wide spread it is.

1. Could be the segregation of the Negrito tribes and the fact that they were relatively poor.

2. Could be the fascination of some Filipinas with light skin. The centuries of Spanish and American presence here and the appeal of mestizo, or "tisoy" babies probably has something to do with this.

Personally I don't see the allure of light skin.

• Like 2
newtocebu
On 1/4/2020 at 12:43 AM, Leeroy said:

Particularly...how you are received, relative to those of fairer complexion. 

Be honest 

You will be fine mate

I know a few guys that are in long term relationships and a few others that prefer 'short term' relationships and they dont ever seem to be struggling for companionship

A nice attitude goes a long way

Davaoeno
2 hours ago, newtocebu said:

A nice attitude goes a long way

Especially when accompanied by a goodly amount of US dollars!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
Daddle
10 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

Especially when accompanied by a goodly amount of US dollars!

Pesonality!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Paddy
5 hours ago, Daddle said:

Pesonality!

I like that word!😀

Irenicus
On 1/4/2020 at 6:54 AM, to_dave007 said:

The word "Negro" doesn't quite mean the same here as it does in US.

I have also heard Filipinas use the term "ni&&er-man" in much the same way they use "German-man" and Canada-man."  They don't say it with animosity, but it's still jarring nonetheless.

Actually, I have heard my fellow Americans use the term more than Filipinos.  But that is due to hanging around foreigners a lot.

That, said, I know more than a few brothers that are in happy relationships.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1