Sign in to follow this  
BossHog

Ssamjang

BossHog
Posted (edited)

Most foreigners probably get tired of the same old lechon baboy (I know I do!). So for today's holiday pig roast I decided to make a Korean meat dipping sauce: ssamjang. It's the stuff you put on your bbq at a Korean grill resto and wrap it and some rice up in a romaine lettuce wrapper. First time I used it with lechon and it went  perfectly and was a huge hit with the family. It's sweet and spicy with deep toasted sesame notes; the doenjang adds a strong umami hit. It's a no-cook sauce and takes five minutes to prepare.

ssamjang2.thumb.jpg.411e5f0aa66a91f7b9847475ed735bbd.jpg

Recipe from Maangchi: Ssamjang

¼ cup doenjang (fermented soybean paste)

1 tbs gochujang (hot pepper paste)

1 stalk of minced green onion

1 clove of minced garlic

¼ cup chopped onion

2 ts honey

2 ts toasted sesame seeds

2 ts sesame oil

We didn't have any green onion handy so skipped that but it would've added some needed color. Toasted the sesame seeds in a dry skillet for just a few minutes and that really deepened the flavor of the sauce. Added a little more honey to appease the local palette. Doubling the above recipe makes for a goodly amount  for 8-10 folks. Give it a whirl!

ps. If you got any vegetarians on your guest list, this makes a superb dipping sauce for a vegetable crudités appetizer platter.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

RogerDuMond
3 hours ago, BossHog said:

¼ cup doenjang 

1 tbs gochujang 

Just checked, and if you live in the province like I do where these wouldn't be available, both of these ingredients are available on Lazada.

• Like 1

BossHog

When I make this again, besides making sure I have sabuyas green onions on hand, I'll get in some quality Korean sesame oil/ Ottogi is a good brand. Only had some cheap Taiwanese brand today.

ottogi.jpg.187f6ccf04756b204a5d050a2f59d5ce.jpg

31 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

Just checked, and if you live in the province like I do where these wouldn't be available, both of these ingredients are available on Lazada.

True, but these ingredients are widely available in Cebu supermarkets, you wouldn't have to go to a Korean grocery.

Besides pork and beef, this sauce would go great with your goat meat.

RogerDuMond
35 minutes ago, BossHog said:

True, but these ingredients are widely available in Cebu supermarkets, you wouldn't have to go to a Korean grocery.

It is an hour and a half for us to Cebu City and it is a trip I don't make unless I absolutely have to.

37 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Besides pork and beef, this sauce would go great with your goat meat.

Besides the goat, I am thinking about trying it with rabbit.

• Like 1