ahoy53

Bucket List 2020 recommendations

ahoy53

I am starting my bucket list in 2020, want to buy  a motor bike new or used and island hop,down to Cebu.

My first stop, will be Mindora. I would like members input on where the best place in Luzon to buy motor, and where would they recommend,some must see islands and sites.

Paddy

My partner’s brother is an area sales manager for Motortrade. I think his area goes up as far as Naga. I’m sure he’d be happy to sell you a motor. He might even come up with a discount!😀
Motortrade do sell used bikes. The ones I have seen here in Masbate are usually repos - so likely poorly maintained - but it gets you to the 25k range from 45k ish new (for a Bajaj) if that’s a factor. 
If you know the type of motor you’re looking for, I can ask him if you wish. 

Dafey

@ahoy53, I love your idea. A great way to see the Philippines is on the back of a 'Motor'. A few questions though:

How big are you?

Will you carry your wife/girlfriend?

How much cargo space will you need for luggage. (are you a light traveler or do you need the kitchen sink?)

Do you plan on driving toll roads? You need a 400cc minimum for that.

Will you buy new or used? and what's your budget?

Headshot

Good idea. However, you need to know that you won't be able to transport a motorbike on a ferry until the bike is registered and you have the registration paperwork in hand. That can take several weeks (or more).

• Like 1

streak03

I've been half-ass planning a driving trip from Bacolod up to northern Luzon using the western nautical highway and coming back on the eastern or central nautical highway for a while now, might happen in 2020!

Salty Dog

I'm curious how many member's bucket list is for 2020 to be their last year living in the Philippines… 

Goetz1965

1 hour ago, Salty Dog said:

I'm curious how many member's bucket list is for 2020 to be their last year living in the Philippines… 

I guess you're top of that list now ...  lol

• Confused 1

ahoy53
18 hours ago, Headshot said:

Good idea. However, you need to know that you won't be able to transport a motorbike on a ferry until the bike is registered and you have the registration paperwork in hand. That can take several weeks (or more).

Thanks for the Info,but really sucks.I guess I could just drive from Luzon to Samar,and Leyete .Drop my bike at my nephews place and have him get the paper work for it.

I don't have the time to hang out in Luzon waiting for who know how long.

19 hours ago, Dafey said:

@ahoy53, I love your idea. A great way to see the Philippines is on the back of a 'Motor'. A few questions though:

How big are you?

How much cargo space will you need for luggage. (are you a light traveler or do you need the kitchen sink?)

Do you plan on driving toll roads? You need a 400cc minimum for that.

Will you buy new or used? and what's your budget?

Am 220,probably get 150 to 250 cc,will be by myself,with one small waterproof bag.

ahoy53
20 hours ago, Paddy said:

My partner’s brother is an area sales manager for Motortrade. I think his area goes up as far as Naga. I’m sure he’d be happy to sell you a motor. He might even come up with a discount!😀
Motortrade do sell used bikes. The ones I have seen here in Masbate are usually repos - so likely poorly maintained - but it gets you to the 25k range from 45k ish new (for a Bajaj) if that’s a factor. 
If you know the type of motor you’re looking for, I can ask him if you wish. 

If you can please get price for new 150 cc honda ,suzuki,or really any brand name japanese ,would probably work.

Probably mostly 3,or 4 hours driving a day.

Dafey
4 hours ago, ahoy53 said:

Thanks for the Info,but really sucks.I guess I could just drive from Luzon to Samar,and Leyete .Drop my bike at my nephews place and have him get the paper work for it.

I don't have the time to hang out in Luzon waiting for who know how long.

On top of the ferry you really only have a week free pass on a new bike to drive as you have to wait for the registration to come in. This could actually take weeks or even months depending on the dealers. What this means is if you drive before your registration comes in and you get stopped at a checkpoint, they will confiscate your bike until a fine is paid, (could be 5-10 K).

However, if you purchase a used bike the registration comes with it so you are good to go!

Paddy mentioned MotorTrade who sells new bikes but has literally thousands of repos on their books. I would guess that if you gave @Paddy a list of what you want that his Partner's Brother could dig through the stockpile of Honda 150 repos and pick one in descent shape.

I would also suggest you try for a bigger bike. I'm right at 200lbs and when I ride a 150 I feel like the bear on the bicycle at the circus! I certainly wouldn't want to do a long haul on one.

The Maxi-Scooters that are being sold are a really nice option for the Philippines and they often have a more spacious seat and riding position.

Dafey

Kymco 300 MaxiScooter 220K new, repo should be under 200K

image.thumb.png.7899ec5f1058dad2d4fbaac82673c48a.png

Yamaha Aerox 155, bigger 150 scooter at 125K new, repo should be right around 100K

image.thumb.png.b83eb7bd33c41ad83188174e1608e395.png

Paddy
5 hours ago, ahoy53 said:

please get price for new 150 cc honda ,suzuki,or really any brand name japanese ,would probably work.

Will do

Gus
Really ??
Personally ..I'm looking at a return to PI ( after 3 yrs in Thailand) ..
Bucket list scooter ..
Kymco super maxi

Sent from my Mi A2 Lite using Tapatalk

to_dave007
On 12/30/2019 at 8:45 AM, Dafey said:

How big are you?

Some steep hills in Mindoro aren't there.