Senior Citizen discount on Philippine Airlines

Has anyone actually claimed this discount? 20% off any domestic flight, I had always assumed this was for Filipinos only, but just took a look at the fare conditions and saw this. 

"Government-issued identification card (ID) which reflects on its face the name, picture, date of birth and nationality of the senior citizen which includes any of the following:"  So a driving license or ACR card should be acceptable. I need to go to Manila early next month so will ask if I am eligible.

https://www.philippineairlines.com/TravelInformation/BeforeYouFly/SpecialDiscount/SeniorCitizen

'

• Like 2

Senior Citizen

Philippine Airlines PAL Experience Before You Fly Passenger Acceptance and Handling For Special Discounts Senior Citizen

Definition:

Resident Filipino Citizen of the Philippines at least 60 years old as of the date of advanced booking.

Guidelines:

Senior Citizens’ Privileges in Domestic Air Transport and Other Services of Philippine Airlines.

1. The 20% discount is applicable to Regular Domestic Fares only and NOT applicable to International and Promotional fares.

2. The VAT exemption is applicable to Domestic Fares only.

3. Re-issuance of Ticket

For re-issuance of ticket with normal fare to a higher booking class or re-issuance of ticket with promotional fare to a normal fare, the senior citizen is entitled to the following, as applicable:

a. For totally unused ticket, the senior citizen is entitled to the 20% discount and exemption from VAT on the fare of the re-issued ticket.

b. For partially used ticket, the senior citizen is entitled to the 20% discount  and exemption from VAT on the fare of the  new unused route of the re-issued ticket.

4. For special medical supplies and equipment such as oxygen tank including oxygen fare and stretcher fare provided on board the aircraft, the senior citizen is entitled to 20% discount  and exemption from VAT.

5. Other Passenger and Cargo Sales Related Activities

The senior citizen is NOT entitled to 20% discount and exemption from VAT on the following Philippine Airlines’ services:

a. Excess baggage

b. Cargo and cargo related fees/penalties

c. Taxes, penalties and fees (e.g. aviation security fee, terminal fee, ticket extension fee, rebooking fee, rush processing fee, non-user’s fee, buy miles, transfer miles, reinstatement of expired miles, sports plus subscription)

d. Tickets claimed as prize or rewarde

e. Other non-fare related transactions

Requirements for Availment of Senior Citizen Privileges

Online/Telesales Ticket Purchase

Airport Check-In Requirements:

CAB Resolution No. 41 mandates Senior Citizens availing the 20% discount and VAT exemption online or via telesales to present at the Airport Check-in counter the following:

Office of Senior Citizen Affairs (OSCA) ID  in combination with any of the following:

a. Philippine passport; OR

b. Any government-issued ID indicating Date of Birth  (E.g. Driver’s License, voters ID, SSS/GSIS ID, PRC card, postal ID)

Per CAB Resolution 41 failure to present at check-in the required IDs will result, subject to the terms and conditions of the ticket, in either the:

Collection at the airport of the amount of 20% discount and 12% VAT based on the current applicable fare at the time of check-in in accordance with the fare restrictions applicable to the ticket, PLUS a fine of Php1,500.00; OR

Forfeiture of the ticket.

Over the Counter Ticket Purchases

In the availment of the  20% discount and exemption from VAT, if applicable, the senior citizen, or his duly authorized representative, must present a copy of any of the following:

OSCA ID provided that the identification card issued by the particular OSCA where the senior citizen resides shall be honoured nationwide as proof of entitlement;

Philippine passport of the senior citizen concerned; or

Government-issued identification card (ID) which reflects on its face the name, picture, date of birth and nationality of the senior citizen which includes any of the following:

a. Digitized Social Security System ID

b. Government Service Insurance System ID

c. Professional Regulation Commission ID

d. Integrated Bar of the Philippines ID

e. Unified Multi-Purpose ID (UMID)

f. Driver’s Licence

Note: Currently, discount is available for sales/ticketing in the Philippines thru PAL ticket offices and accredited travel agents due to system limitation. Subject to fare rules and restrictions.

Go Back to Passenger Acceptance and Handling For Special Discounts

• Like 1
smokey

Well even if you live here 100 years you will never be qualified i did hear of a guy who became a citz. But must not of been for the 20% because i heard it cost him close to 1 million peso ..  Many countries go on the theory that if your there legally your treated the.same as a citz. Ive been here now about 16 years 

15 hours ago, MickyG said:

Perhaps, they are asking you to prove your pinoy nationality to qualify? 

Possibly, but I read the part "nationality of the senior citizen"  as being an acceptance of any nationality. I will find out in January.

• Like 1
SkyMan
13 hours ago, Slammer said:

Senior Citizen

Philippine Airlines PAL Experience Before You Fly Passenger Acceptance and Handling For Special Discounts Senior Citizen

Definition:

Resident Filipino Citizen of the Philippines at least 60 years old as of the date of advanced booking.

Besides the above.  The discount includes a VAT exemption.  While the airline can give whatever discounts to whoever it wants, I think they would get into a lot of trouble giving a VAT exemption to foreigners.

7 minutes ago, rizla said:

Possibly, but I read the part "nationality of the senior citizen"  as being an acceptance of any nationality. I will find out in January.

It should probably read proof of Philippine Nationality.  If any nationality was ok, why would they ask?

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2
smokey

You get caught doing stupid you will be deported if the reward is worth the risk. Good luck

Kabisay-an gid

"Senior Citizen… 

Definition:

Resident Filipino Citizen of the Philippines at least 60 years old as of the date of advanced booking."

I believe the above spells it out very clearly - foreigners are not eligible for the discount. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
SkyMan
17 hours ago, rizla said:

So a driving license or ACR card should be acceptable.

It does say any gov't ID, blah, blah, but specifically does not list the ACR-I card which no Pinoy would have.  

23 minutes ago, smokey said:

You get caught doing stupid you will be deported if the reward is worth the risk. Good luck

Normally I'd say no harm in asking.  But in this case, if you somehow get a discounted ticket (online or whatever) and are denied at check-in, it looks like you will pay the difference between what you paid and the current fare plus the full 12% VAT on that.  Or you don't go at all.  Suppose you find a flight for p3K so you pay p2400 and then go to check-in and they say no but the current rate is now p7k so you have to pay an additional p4600 for the ticket and then p840 VAT.  Nice.  Your p960 discount lost you p4480 as you would have paid p3360 without the 'discount'.  A better idea would have been to buy the ticket without the discount and then ask at check-in if you qualify.  They say no.  You say ok and board your flight.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Slammer said:

1. The 20% discount is applicable to Regular Domestic Fares only and NOT applicable to International and Promotional fares.

discounted fares could be lower

• Like 1
  • Administrator
Dafey
59 minutes ago, Woolf said:

discounted fares could be lower

With most retail, including services, you cannot receive a 'double discount'. This means you could have a 'Senior discount' off the full fare, (which nobody flies for full fare as it is extremely expensive), or you can avail of one of the airlines discounts. Doubtful you can get both.

• Thanks 1
smokey
2 hours ago, SkyMan said:

It does say any gov't ID, blah, blah, but specifically does not list the ACR-I card which no Pinoy would have.  

Normally I'd say no harm in asking.  But in this case, if you somehow get a discounted ticket (online or whatever) and are denied at check-in, it looks like you will pay the difference between what you paid and the current fare plus the full 12% VAT on that.  Or you don't go at all.  Suppose you find a flight for p3K so you pay p2400 and then go to check-in and they say no but the current rate is now p7k so you have to pay an additional p4600 for the ticket and then p840 VAT.  Nice.  Your p960 discount lost you p4480 as you would have paid p3360 without the 'discount'.  A better idea would have been to buy the ticket without the discount and then ask at check-in if you qualify.  They say no.  You say ok and board your flight.

Lets say you get the ticket then some anti american local turns you in no problem just collect a few hundred peso to delay your case if you are going to do this best you dont put it on internet ..

The airlines or any busineess that honours a discount card will send the name and card and number to the BIR when they file their quarterly taxes. BIR then verifies that the card holder is valid and will allow credit against tax due if a fake card is used the 20% discount will not be allowed and the tax credit will be disallowed.

If it is issued to non-filipino a report will be sent to BI of the card holders name etc it may take a year or two but next time you visit immigration you may be buying a one way ticket home 

• Like 1

It was my understanding the OSCA card was not a requirement any more.  A senior citizen could get the discount applied by presenting valid government issued ID.  The OSCA issued card was a feature for citizens who did NOT have a valid ID.  Common sense seemed to prevail.  Also, it was explained to me that the retail establishments were required to maintain records, hence seniors often had to have the ID and sign a document, usually some sort of roster.  This was subject to audit.  The check and double check process was onerous and served little purpose unless fraud was suspected. 

• Thanks 1

I contacted Philippine Airline who confirmed the discount is only applicable to a Filipino Citizen of the Philippines over the age of 60.  So the question has been answered, thank you for all comments. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4