PH bars entry of US Senators; warns of Visa requirements for Americans

fred42

wondersailor
32 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Trying to avoid politics here but I believe the measure was slipped into the last budget?  And now the issue has been handed over to the POTUS who has 120 days to investigate if the matter requires further investigation or something like that. 

That's if the US did indeed cancel the visa.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• RogerDuMond

• Headshot

• wondersailor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an American living in the Philippines I am sick to death of the morons in Washington getting into other countries' internal affairs. Of course they only pick the easy marks. I see nothing nothing b

Apparently it was written into the 2020 budget.  Since the president doesn't have line item veto power, the whole bill would have to be vetoed and modified (or not) by the house and senate and voted o

No visa on arrival. If they go through with it, tourists would need to have a visa before coming here.   No, it is retribution against these two senators for threatening to blackball certa

Posted Images

1 hour ago, wondersailor said:

That's if the US did indeed cancel the visa.

As far it is publicly known, the visa was cancelled. The reason is not known. It is the US right to grant, deny or cancel visas. It happens to Filipinos every day.  I think it is blown out of proportions and the Philippines side makes a huge thing out of it ( maybe because here normally the rules do not apply depending who you are or who you know...once it does, they cannot understand and think something fishy must be going on..,the US did not confirm any reasons).

SkyMan

Sounds like Du30 has figured out that inconveniencing Americans by requiring them to get visas would not concern the US Gov't in the least (and perhaps the tourism board has pointed out the loss of income.)  Perhaps his military wheels will have a talk with him about shooting himself in the foot.

wondersailor
24 minutes ago, Cgu said:

As far it is publicly known, the visa was cancelled. The reason is not known. It is the US right to grant, deny or cancel visas. It happens to Filipinos every day.  I think it is blown out of proportions and the Philippines side makes a huge thing out of it ( maybe because here normally the rules do not apply depending who you are or who you know...once it does, they cannot understand and think something fishy must be going on..,the US did not confirm any reasons).

I will wait for the US State Dept to confirm or to see a printed copy of the letter. I believe very little that a politician says, any politician.

fred42

Cut off nose to spite face!!
Next will be new visa requirements for U.S citizens IMO.
Interesting to see if the U.S. President reacts one way or the other!
He could in theory either reinstate the visa status of these clowns OR declare the P.I as a terrorist state,remove US aid and stop remittances to P.I from the U.S.
Nightmare scenario for the Philippines!

The government has started the process of terminating the Visiting Forces Agreement with the United States following President Rodrigo Duterte’s order, a day after the Chief Executive lashed out at Washington for cancelling the visa of Senator Ronald dela Rosa.Presidential Spokesman Salvador Panelo said Friday the termination of the joint military pact with America was prompted by an “accumulation” of previous incidents.“I asked him last night [Thursday], when will the process start?” Panelo said, referring to the VFA’s termination.“Tonight,” Panelo said, quoting the President. “The process of starting it has commenced or will commence today.”
https://manilastandard.net/mobile/article/315711

wondersailor

I have wondered about China's role in all this. It is completely out of character for the U.S. Administration to cause big waves over a relatively small incident ( globally speaking) especially when it was pushed by only Democrats. I have my doubts. China would love to have all of the US out of the Philippines.

9 hours ago, wondersailor said:

I have wondered about China's role in all this. It is completely out of character for the U.S. Administration to cause big waves over a relatively small incident ( globally speaking) especially when it was pushed by only Democrats. I have my doubts. China would love to have all of the US out of the Philippines.

Well, we all other than the chosen people done visa all the years... China did that too???

• Confused 1