Jump to content

PH bars entry of US Senators; warns of Visa requirements for Americans


fred42

Recommended Posts

Perhaps this will take the form of retribution used at the barangay level.  Only US citizens who voted for the two senators will be banned.  
 

That’s similar to how it works at the barangay level.  Didn’t vote for the captain, then don’t expect to share in the benefits given to others who did take the cash and voted properly. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • SkyMan

    15

  • RogerDuMond

    13

  • Headshot

    9

  • wondersailor

    8

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an American living in the Philippines I am sick to death of the morons in Washington getting into other countries' internal affairs. Of course they only pick the easy marks. I see nothing nothing b

Apparently it was written into the 2020 budget.  Since the president doesn't have line item veto power, the whole bill would have to be vetoed and modified (or not) by the house and senate and voted o

No visa on arrival. If they go through with it, tourists would need to have a visa before coming here.   No, it is retribution against these two senators for threatening to blackball certa

Posted Images

MarinePride

For a country that is very reliant and encourages tourism, this would be a very counter intuitive move for sure, but then again, the Filipino Pride thing must be adhered to at all costs I guess.  i have a 13a, so I will not be affected in my travels to and from here.  Also, the less tourists from the USA here, all the better.  The price of everything is going up in the ten years I've been here.  I long for the days when things were cheaper, get rid of the tourists and things will get cheaper.  Supply and demand.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
wondersailor
54 minutes ago, MarinePride said:

For a country that is very reliant and encourages tourism, this would be a very counter intuitive move for sure, but then again, the Filipino Pride thing must be adhered to at all costs I guess.  i have a 13a, so I will not be affected in my travels to and from here.  Also, the less tourists from the USA here, all the better.  The price of everything is going up in the ten years I've been here.  I long for the days when things were cheaper, get rid of the tourists and things will get cheaper.  Supply and demand.

If you are interested in curbing tourism to the Philippines, may I suggest that you start with South Korea and China. Each, by themselves, had almost double the tourists to the Philippines in 2019 as did the USA.

  • Like 2
Link to post
SkyMan
4 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

While I respect your opinion to believe whatever you want Roger I stand by my stated opinion that it is all manipulative meaningless rhetoric and that there is no chance in hell that Americans will be denied entry into the Philippines unless they get visas first.   

Certainly 2 will.

Technically, the requirement for a visa before arrival is required of any foreigner.  It's just that citizens of most countries on a list are waived from that requirement.  Changing laws would take time but I imagine the list can be altered fairly quickly.

Link to post
RogerDuMond
47 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Changing laws would take time but I imagine the list can be altered fairly quickly.

Visa waiver is not a law passed by congress, it is governed by executive order. So, yes it could be altered quickly just by Duterte's pen.

Quote

The Philippine visa waiver program is governed by Executive Order No. 408, signed by President Carlos P. Garcia on November 9, 1960, and by subsequent executive issuances amending it. While visas are issued by the BI, the program itself is administered by the Department of Foreign Affairs, which maintains a list of countries eligible to participate in the program. In principle, nationals of countries which maintain diplomatic relations with the Philippines and whose nationals are not classified as restricted nationals by the DFA are allowed to enter the Philippines without a visa. Eligible nationals availing of visa-free entry must possess passports valid for at least six months beyond their contemplated period of stay.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_the_Philippines

  • Like 1
Link to post

Well, Duterte made it quite clear that he would impose visa requirements on US nationals should any representative be barred from the US.  That can  only mean a hard road ahead for those of us who have enjoyed the 36 month extensions.  And I believe the visas must be obtained outside of the RP.  The last thing I want to do is to have to return to the US in order to get a visa to stay here.  I refuse to marry here, but I may seek residency if I am eligible.  I am 72 and am able to put the required $20k in a bank account if that is what is needed.  Are there any other requirements that may be an obstacle to me getting a residency permit?  Thanks ahead.

Link to post

@Kreole assuming you have pension income of US$1000/month or more, your SRRV deposit would be $10k. If you have military service (or other qualifying work history), you might qualify for the Expanded Courtesy SRRV which requires no deposit. The PRA fee in all cases is $1400. You will need some authenticated documentation to accompany an application. This can be easier to obtain in your home country but I don’t think it’s impossible to get from here. There are a couple of SRRV threads you can review. 

Link to post
wondersailor
On 12/29/2019 at 4:54 AM, Kreole said:

Well, Duterte made it quite clear that he would impose visa requirements on US nationals should any representative be barred from the US.  That can  only mean a hard road ahead for those of us who have enjoyed the 36 month extensions.  And I believe the visas must be obtained outside of the RP.  The last thing I want to do is to have to return to the US in order to get a visa to stay here.  I refuse to marry here, but I may seek residency if I am eligible.  I am 72 and am able to put the required $20k in a bank account if that is what is needed.  Are there any other requirements that may be an obstacle to me getting a residency permit?  Thanks ahead.

I would not jump into anything before something happens. I am in the same.boat as you and I doubt anything will come of this immediately, if ever. The Philippines and the United States need each other too much right now to let this get out of hand and cause a rift between the two nations. I plan on waiting to see what happens.

Link to post
RogerDuMond

I doubt that anything will happen. I think that the only way something would happen is if the administration retaliated against Philippine officials for blacklisting them and Durbin and Leahy aren't real popular with the current American administration now either.

  • Like 2
Link to post
SkyMan
5 hours ago, Kreole said:

That can  only mean a hard road ahead for those of us who have enjoyed the 36 month extensions.  And I believe the visas must be obtained outside of the RP.  The last thing I want to do is to have to return to the US in order to get a visa to stay here.

If your here as a tourist, you already have a visa which you are probably extending.  As I read it now, the threat to is to make future US tourists get a visa before coming.  So, after your 36 months is up you'd have to leave and get a 9A visa before returning but as far as I know that could be done in Thailand or wherever and not necessarily the US.

Link to post
liquido
2 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

If your here as a tourist, you already have a visa which you are probably extending.  As I read it now, the threat to is to make future US tourists get a visa before coming.  So, after your 36 months is up you'd have to leave and get a 9A visa before returning but as far as I know that could be done in Thailand or wherever and not necessarily the US.

Can that be done online or do you have to go to a Philippine consulate?

Link to post
SkyMan
1 minute ago, liquido said:

Can that be done online or do you have to go to a Philippine consulate?

Can be done by mail because you have to send in your passport to get the visa put in.  If I were here and had to do a visa run I'd just go to the Phils Embassy in the visa run country and get it in person.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
HongKongPhooey
On 12/29/2019 at 6:50 AM, wondersailor said:

The Philippines and the United States need each other too much right now to let this get out of hand and cause a rift between the two nations.

Duterte has already sold his soul to the devil. I’m visiting after a few months and seeing all this new construction in Davao. It looks great but when I ask, “what it is?”: it’s “Chinese warehouses”.

The US doesn’t need the Philippines. The Philippines lost any leverage it had when they kicked the US forces out.

I don’t agree with how this was handled by these legislators; however, they have a right to raise their concerns. I know this won’t be popular with the forum, but the US should double down: our people are persona non grata? so are yours, and any US visas won’t be issued or renewed to Filipinos.  Philippine national’s bank accounts in the US are frozen until proof of source of income is proven. 

Also, Philippine citizens are no longer allowed to own property in the US or a majority ownership in a US corporation. Let’s make it all equal. 

Call this guy out on his BS

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post

I’m not certain of the accuracy of the link I’ve included.  It was just from a quick google search.  However, I do know many countries already require foreign tourists to obtain some form of a visa prior to entry.  Some countries allow for an online process which does not require passport entries.  Others allow for tourists to obtain a visa upon arrival, along with the associated bureaucratic red tape.  

https://www.afar.com/magazine/7-surprising-countries-where-us-citizens-need-an-advance-visa

Seems like the Philippines has has the right to demand foreign visitors to meet their own entry requirements, similar to other sovereign nations.  Whether this would actually occur is doubtful.  A fair amount of of the tourist industry would balk at such a process.  
 

This reminds me of how some Filipino drivers express their dissatisfaction with my driving.  As they pass me they will give a loud and long honk (not a warning) to let me know just how stupid a driver I am.  For myself, the honk is a clear sign that my driving had the intended outcome.  Loud yelling and carrying on about restricting tourist entries is a lot like honking to show your anger. 

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..

adblock_message_value
adblock_accept_btn_value