PH bars entry of US Senators; warns of Visa requirements for Americans

fred42

Looks like they sneaked this into a stack of 100`s of papers and hoodwinked Trump into signing it.
Who looks over this stuff for him before he signs?
Very bad show!

• Like 2
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SkyMan

• RogerDuMond

• Headshot

• wondersailor

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As an American living in the Philippines I am sick to death of the morons in Washington getting into other countries' internal affairs. Of course they only pick the easy marks. I see nothing nothing b

Apparently it was written into the 2020 budget.  Since the president doesn't have line item veto power, the whole bill would have to be vetoed and modified (or not) by the house and senate and voted o

No visa on arrival. If they go through with it, tourists would need to have a visa before coming here.   No, it is retribution against these two senators for threatening to blackball certa

Posted Images

Jim_in_Jax
1 hour ago, fred42 said:

Looks like they sneaked this into a stack of 100`s of papers and hoodwinked Trump into signing it.
Very bad show!

Apparently it was written into the 2020 budget.  Since the president doesn't have line item veto power, the whole bill would have to be vetoed and modified (or not) by the house and senate and voted on again to override the veto.  Not likely Trump would hold up the budget for this one thing.  It is how so many BS things end up getting passed into law.

Edited by Jim_in_Jax
Left out something
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
Headshot
1 hour ago, fred42 said:

Very bad show!

I don't believe that Trump has a line-item veto power on a continuing resolution (a document which basically extends last year's budget into the next year). The article says 2020 budget, but it was my understanding that this was a continuing resolution. He would have two choices ... sign it and let the bad language like this go through ... or let the government shut down until Congress can come up with a new continuing resolution. The Senate should have seen the language and deleted it before they voted to pass it.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
RogerDuMond
35 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I don't believe that Trump has a line-item veto power on a continuing resolution (a document which basically extends last year's budget into the next year). The article says 2020 budget, but it was my understanding that this was a continuing resolution. He would have two choices ... sign it and let the bad language like this go through ... or let the government shut down until Congress can come up with a new continuing resolution. The Senate should have seen the language and deleted it before they voted to pass it.

The continuing resolution ended Dec. 20, the day that Trump signed the one year spending bill and the National Defense Authorization Act. Both bills gave raises to employees, which would not be allowed under a continuing resolution.

Headshot
10 minutes ago, RogerDuMond said:

The continuing resolution ended Dec. 20, the day that Trump signed the one year spending bill and the National Defense Authorization Act. Both bills gave raises to employees, which would not be allowed under a continuing resolution.

OK. Good to know. Nevertheless, Trump has no line item veto power. Clinton was granted a line item veto by Congress in 1996, but the US Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional in 1998. No president before or since has had a line item veto.

Edited by Headshot
liquido
52 minutes ago, Soupeod said:

I read this is Fake news! 

Well im in Chicago right now on a holiday visit ..I dont think its fake because it was reported on last nights news about the Illinois senator...

1 hour ago, Soupeod said:

Quite possibly is but lets see how it plays out.
Frankly I was a bit shocked to hear DT would have signed such a document.

The story about the supposed entry ban on Senator De Lima’s supposed persecutors is, for the lack of a better term, more f*cked up than you think it is.

Over the past week, each major Philippine news outlet ran a story on the supposed amendment to the United States Fiscal Year 2020 State and Foreign Operations Appropriations Bill that includes a prohibition on entry to United States soil of “foreign government officials about whom the Secretary has credible information have been involved in the wrongful imprisonment” of Senator Leila De Lima.

As expected, the Liberal Party and its supporters eagerly vocalized their abject happiness over the supposed development, while many administration members and their allies denounced it.

But here’s the problem: all of the jubilation and condemnation was for nothing.

Why? Because the said provision is NOWHERE to be found in the final version that was signed by US President Donald Trump on 20 December 2019.

The US FY 2020 State and Foreign Operations Appropriations Bill started as the following proposed measures:

H.R. 2740: Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, Defense, State, Foreign Operations, and Energy and Water Development Appropriations Act, 2020.

H.R. 2839: Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2020.

S. 2583: Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs Appropriations Act, 2020.

None of these three proposals became stand-alone laws as parts of them were incorporated in the 2020 US National Budget Bill, more formally known as “HR 1865: Further Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2020.”

An official copy (called an “enrolled bill”) of the final version of H.R. 1865, which Trump signed on December 20th, can be found in the official website of the United States Congress.

Despite multiple news reports attesting to the existence of such an entry ban, the entire bill did not mention the character strings “De Lima,” “wrongful,” “imprisonment,” i.e., no provision in the signed HR 1865 contains the text as described in the various Philippine news reports published over the past week.

The nearest thing related to the De Lima issue that can be found in the final text is in Section 7031(c)(1)(A), which reads:

“Officials of foreign governments and their immediate family members about whom the Secretary of State has credible information have been involved in significant corruption, including corruption related to the extraction of natural resources, or a gross violation of human rights shall be ineligible for entry into the United States.”

This sounds quite similar to what the news reports indicated. This exact clause, however, is also present in the US Consolidated Appropriations Acts of 2015[2], 2016[3], 2017[4], and 2018[5].

If that exact clause was present in previous budgets anyway, then what amendment were Senators Leahy and Durbin, along with the rest of the 3% of the Philippines, raving about?

Global Magnitsky Act

This entire hullabaloo traces its roots to US Public Law 112–208, the “Russia and Moldova Jackson-Vanik Repeal and Sergei Magnitsky Rule of Law Accountability Act of 2012,” which targeted mainly Russian government officials.

This law was expanded in 2016 and was informally called the “Global Magnitsky Act of 2016” and the first implementation is in President Trump’s 2016 Executive Order No. 13818, which banned entry to a former Gambian president, a Nicaraguan official, and several others.

As shown above, the clause on entry bans is the standard text in US Budget Laws since 2015 at the latest. In the absence of any provision that specifically pertains to the detained Senator De Lima, along with the lack of any new Trump executive order similar to the one in 2016, it logically follows that no such ban as reported over the past week exists.

I didn’t find these out until now because I have been busy in Japan since December 20th. But what I find more shocking is that some news agencies even bothered to include my friend Sass Sasot and I, Rey Joseph Nieto, in the supposed targets of the fictional amendment, on three grounds:

First, the supposed amendment is fake news published by supposedly reputable news outlets.

Second, the Global Magnitsky clause in the annual US Budget Laws has been there since 2015.

Third, I have traveled to the United States multiple times since 2014, with two visits in April and July of 2019.

But more importantly, whatever happened to the hordes of lawyers in Malacanang who seem to have forgotten to check the actual text of the 2020 US Budget before advising the Palace to comment on the issue?

And even more importantly, whatever happened to the supposedly legitimate journalists who failed to do the same?

As a side note, let me thank GMA News for taking the effort to get my side of the story, but still…

Dear Philippine Mainstream Media, please don’t interrupt my peaceful vacation with your fake news.

Thank you.

https://news.mb.com.ph/2019/12/28/sen-de-lima-official-docs-show-us-entry-ban-is-as-fake-as-fake-news-gets/?fbclid=IwAR1uAMluv29wWL9f-U8rQltZelf2JVDci10jOv4BxTXRlc3j4B1z5SF_aO0

Edited by fred42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
RogerDuMond
3 hours ago, Soupeod said:

It really doesn't matter whether the amendments of Durbin and Leahy made it into the final budget or not. The fact is the language exists in the budget that could be used to prevent Filipino officials from entering the U.S. and both Senators have suggested that it should be used. That is why they have been banned from entry here. It would be a safe bet, that if such action was taken against Philippine officials, there would be repercussions from the Philippine government. Guess who is going to bear the brunt of those repercussions.

• Like 1
liquido
1 hour ago, RogerDuMond said:

Guess who is going to bear the brunt of those repercussions.

Im arriving back to Mactan jan 3...I hope I do not encounter any hassles..

Davaoeno
4 hours ago, liquido said:

Im arriving back to Mactan jan 3...I hope I do not encounter any hassles..

I believe that your chances of encountering hassles due to this matter are somewhere between none and zero !  Its just the usual rhetoric between Duterte and the USA.   

• Like 3
RogerDuMond
4 hours ago, Davaoeno said:

I believe that your chances of encountering hassles due to this matter are somewhere between none and zero !  Its just the usual rhetoric between Duterte and the USA.   

True, but if Durbin and Leahy have their way, all bets are off.

Davaoeno
13 hours ago, liquido said:

Well im in Chicago right now on a holiday visit ..I dont think its fake because it was reported on last nights news about the Illinois senator...

It's a warning - as told to media. It is not a law or even a proposed law. There is no need for it to be fake. This is fairly common stuff in this country! It gets the locals juices flowing. Nobody else takes it seriously! Hehe

Well maybe except some on Linc! :rofl:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
RogerDuMond
16 minutes ago, Davaoeno said:

It's a warning - as told to media. It is not a law or even a proposed law. There is no need for it to be fake. This is fairly common stuff in this country! It gets the locals juices flowing. Nobody else takes it seriously! Hehe

Well maybe except some on Linc! :rofl:

It doesn't need to be law for Durbin and Leahy to be refused entry, it can all be done by presidential order. The written order has not yet come from Malacañang. All the BI has to this point is verbal confirmation from the presidents spokesperson.

While the Department of Justice (DOJ) has yet to receive a formal order from Malacañang on the entry ban of Senators Durbin and Leahy to the Philippines, Justice Secretary Menardo Guevarra said that, through the BI, they are ready to implement it but that the requirement for Americans to obtain Philippine visa will be “subject to a suspensive condition.”  

“The requirement to obtain Philippine visas is subject to a suspensive condition, but the travel ban on the two US senators is effective immediately, according to a written statement from the Office of the Presidential Spokesperson,” Guevarra added.  

The BI is an attached agency of the DOJ.  

BI spokesperson Dana Sandoval also confirmed to The STAR that the bureau has yet to receive the formal order from Malacañang as far as the entry ban of Durbin and Leahy to the Philippines is concerned. Sandoval, however, said the BI “will follow and implement the instructions in the order.”

https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/12/28/1980256/philippines-bars-2-us-senators-new-visa-rules-eyed

Davaoeno
On 12/27/2019 at 3:07 PM, fred42 said:

While I respect your opinion to believe whatever you want Roger I stand by my stated opinion that it is all manipulative meaningless rhetoric and that there is no chance in hell that Americans will be denied entry into the Philippines unless they get visas first.