Kreole

Smart load scam

Kreole

I  wrote a post some 6 years ago about how Smart was ripping off my load.  Each time I loaded 100 p, Smart would drain it off within a few days by sending "promo" texts that each deducted 5 or 10 pesos from my load.  After deleting all texts whose origin I did not know, Smart began sending the promos txts via friends in my address lists, so as to trick me into opening them, and then deducting the 5 or 10 pesos.  I was in Cebu and the Smart office was just a few blocks away, so I went there to find out why this was happening.  The staff member just smirked when I complained and denied any such scam.  I never bought Smart load again.   Has anyone else experienced this scam or heard about it?

I live on Siquijor island and have been using SUN, which worked fine in my barangay until recently.  The signal is now very weak to non existent, so I have to make the difficult decision to go back to Smart since that signal is apparently strong here.  What I need to know is what is the best way to avoid another Smart scam?  I use only talk and text, no internet.  I would have to buy a Smart sim and then buy load, but there are different ways to purchase Smart load.  You can buy a Smart card for 100p or have some independent outlet load your phone for 100p.  What is the difference in the way they utilize text or talk?  Are you deducted for each text you send and receive from Smart and different networks?  Or is there just limited days to use up the load before it disappears?  I really have no idea how this works.

With the SUN card Text Unlimited which costs 200p for 30 days of use and includes unlimited texts to SUN and other networks and 500 min of talk within the SUN network.  If you load a new card at the end of 30 days, the talk minutes just keep being added, like another 500 min to the remaining talk minutes on your card from the last upload.  It really is a great card and has served me well in all locations, until now, and I am being forced to use Smart and hope to limit the  scams.  Thanks ahead for any advice.

Kabisay-an gid

Does Globe have good reception where you're at? I use Globe in Cebu, Leyte & Metro Manila - I have no significant complaints. Reception can vary from place to place, but my cell service in the US varies also.

shadow
1 hour ago, Kreole said:

I  wrote a post some 6 years ago about how Smart was ripping off my load.  Each time I loaded 100 p, Smart would drain it off within a few days by sending "promo" texts that each deducted 5 or 10 pesos from my load.  After deleting all texts whose origin I did not know, Smart began sending the promos txts via friends in my address lists, so as to trick me into opening them, and then deducting the 5 or 10 pesos.  I was in Cebu and the Smart office was just a few blocks away, so I went there to find out why this was happening.  The staff member just smirked when I complained and denied any such scam.  I never bought Smart load again.   Has anyone else experienced this scam or heard about it?

I live on Siquijor island and have been using SUN, which worked fine in my barangay until recently.  The signal is now very weak to non existent, so I have to make the difficult decision to go back to Smart since that signal is apparently strong here.  What I need to know is what is the best way to avoid another Smart scam?  I use only talk and text, no internet.  I would have to buy a Smart sim and then buy load, but there are different ways to purchase Smart load.  You can buy a Smart card for 100p or have some independent outlet load your phone for 100p.  What is the difference in the way they utilize text or talk?  Are you deducted for each text you send and receive from Smart and different networks?  Or is there just limited days to use up the load before it disappears?  I really have no idea how this works.

With the SUN card Text Unlimited which costs 200p for 30 days of use and includes unlimited texts to SUN and other networks and 500 min of talk within the SUN network.  If you load a new card at the end of 30 days, the talk minutes just keep being added, like another 500 min to the remaining talk minutes on your card from the last upload.  It really is a great card and has served me well in all locations, until now, and I am being forced to use Smart and hope to limit the  scams.  Thanks ahead for any advice.

I've been using Smart prepaid for over 15 years, never had this issue. 

Headshot
8 minutes ago, shadow said:

I did. That was why I switched to Globe. Not that Globe doesn't have problems, but Smart was stealing my load, and the only thing I could do to prevent it was to switch to Globe. Smart kept telling me that they didn't do that, but I could see it with my own eyes.

• Like 1

Jawny

I had a dual sim android phone with Smart and Globe sims. The Globe was continuously using load, but I think it had to do with how I set up the phone.  I think I had some app that was updating frequently. I doubt it was Globe that was the source of the usage. I now use an iPhone with one sim, Smart.  I make sure data is turned off at all times.  I have apps that update, but they only use Wifi to do so.  I never use any of the promos which offer so much free data or text.  When I load, I’m usually using a ₽300 or ₽500 load and I get a specified number of "free" texts.  After those are used, I pay the going rate for texts. I avoid promos entirely, especially the "free" ones such as Facebook and such. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kreole
1 hour ago, shadow said:

Lucky you.  Are you using a smartphone or a cheap talk and text phone like mine?  Also do you use a Smart sim and buy Smart cards to load your phone or just streetside load it? 

Kreole
1 hour ago, Headshot said:

I did. That was why I switched to Globe. Not that Globe doesn't have problems, but Smart was stealing my load, and the only thing I could do to prevent it was to switch to Globe. Smart kept telling me that they didn't do that, but I could see it with my own eyes.

Unfortunately, Globe does not provide a good signal in my barangay either, so I am stuck with Smart.  The problem started when a new internet service tower was installed here.  My Sun worked fine until then, so I am sure the internet signal is somehow interfering.  The provider who installed the internet tower said that for 5000p he would install a signal booster for my cp.  However, he was the one responsible for interfering with my cp signal in the first place, so I definitely was not going to give him more money.

• Like 1

shadow
16 minutes ago, Kreole said:

Lucky you.  Are you using a smartphone or a cheap talk and text phone like mine?  Also do you use a Smart sim and buy Smart cards to load your phone or just streetside load it? 

I have a smart phone, but all I have ever done with it is text and the very occasional call. I buy load off Lazada, or get pasaloads from the local sari2.

Like Jawny, I have never signed up for a promo or even opened their messages, or activated data.

• Like 1

to_dave007
1 hour ago, Jawny said:

I had a dual sim android phone with Smart and Globe sims. The Globe was continuously using load, but I think it had to do with how I set up the phone.  I think I had some app that was updating frequently. I doubt it was Globe that was the source of the usage. I now use an iPhone with one sim, Smart.  I make sure data is turned off at all times.  I have apps that update, but they only use Wifi to do so.  I never use any of the promos which offer so much free data or text.  When I load, I’m usually using a ₽300 or ₽500 load and I get a specified number of "free" texts.  After those are used, I pay the going rate for texts. I avoid promos entirely, especially the "free" ones such as Facebook and such. 

I'm almost exactly the same..  except I DO occasionally sign up for 6 days all text promo for 60 peso if I know I'll be texting quite a bit in the next few days..  which does happen some times.

Dumbest dumb phone..  not even a camera.  99.9% text 0.1% calls.  Using SMART..  Load 500 peso at a time in local store every few months.  Never see signs of load leakage. 

Edited by to_dave007
  • Like 1

Woolf
7 hours ago, Kreole said:

Are you deducted for each text you send and receive from Smart and different networks?  Or is there just limited days to use up the load before it disappears?  I really have no idea how this works.

For all networks in Philippines, it is always the originator that pays for call and txt

receiver does not pay 

For all networks  all loads are now valid for 1 year

https://www.yugatech.com/news/all-globe-smart-prepaid-loads-now-valid-for-one-year/#sthash.fRnbauIv.dpbs

All Globe, Smart prepaid loads now valid for one year

Edited by Woolf
  • Thanks 1

Woolf

How to lose 5 peso load

anyone who knows your number can do this:

How to Ask a Load in Smart?

Syntax:

Just dial *808+<11 digit SMART mobile number of your friend> and press call to ask for P5 load.

Who knows your number ?

the sari sari where you went to get load ????

maybe not so good idea to go to a sari sari for load ?????

Edited by Woolf
  • Like 1

SkyMan
14 hours ago, Kreole said:

I buy load through the SMART dashboard using my US CC.  I was finding that impossible until I found I had to allow popups during the process.  Since then it's worked fine.  I buy p1K load which is good for a year and that also gives me 250 free txts.  Then I pass 250 to my wife who loads the Mega250 plan giving her unlitxt and 4 hours voice and some data for 1 month.  She used to txt mega250 to 9999 but now she does something else.  I think it's like dial #123 and then select the plan.  Anyway, I do that for 3 months and during that time the 250 txts and the rest of the load are plenty for me.

She never actually has any load and I always keep data turned off so no load gets stolen.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 1

Woolf
31 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I buy load through the SMART dashboard using my US CC.

Do you get 5% discount that way ?

I use lazada to buy load,  5% discount

https://www.lazada.com.ph/mobilerecharge.html

I buy load  2x 300 for my wife, then she buy UCT600,  (Unlimited Call & Txt)

gives you 60 days unlimited txt to all networks, unlimited calls to sun, smart & TNT

SkyMan
21 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Do you get 5% discount that way ?

Well, with the 250 free anynetwork txts it's like a 20% discount.

21 minutes ago, Woolf said:

UCT600,  (Unlimited Call & Txt)

gives you 60 days unlimited txt to all networks, unlimited calls to sun, smart & TNT

The MEGA250 done twice would give 60 days unlimited txt to all networks.  And 4 hours voice to Sun Smart TNT twice.  Plus some data.  For p500.  Depends on how much voice you want I guess.  Plus you can let it run out for a few days in between the 2 30 day periods and take a break for longer coverage.

My wife talks to her family mostly over wifi so voice isn't that useful.

Edited by SkyMan