Sign in to follow this  
SkyMan

Things you do to keep busy, hobbies etc.

SkyMan

My first priority right now is to weld a gate for my wall which is done with just finishing going on.  

But the other day it was raining so I decided to put new rear brake pads on my bike.  Should be an hour job because I have to remove the rear wheel.

First, thing I learned, and this is very nice, if I'm smart enough to remove the axle nut before jacking, I don't have to loosen the whole exhaust system to remove the rear wheel.  Yeah!

After that I got the wheel off and the brake guide/caliper out from the swing arm.  Then I found I couldn't get the old pads out without removing the caliper from the guide.  So, second thing learned was I didn't need to remove the wheel at all to change the pads though not quite as useful because i won't be doing this again for a long time.  The new pads came from AliExpress and not Genuine Yamaha parts but matched the old ones (And they were like $8, instead of $30 + shipping from the US.)  Still, I couldn't get them into the guide to save my life.  I had to break out my caliper and found the new pads about 1mm larger in overall length of the pads and in the width of the guide tabs.  Probably just the thickness of the powder coating.  A little grinding and they went in ok.  Putting the wheel back on without the caliper attached to the guide was much easier.  Then, with the pads in the guide and the disk in between, the brake caliper would not fit over the new pads.  I had the piston pressed all the way back in so not even a lip exposed but I ended up having to grind off 1/16th inch of each pad.  Then finally, the caliper went on.  So that's how you make a 1 hour project an all day affair.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

Walked this morning for about an hour in one of my favorite spots.  In bgy Carmelo from the national highway down the barangay road towards Molobolo springs, under the big Acacia tree.. between the cane fields..  past the beautiful private chapel..  Still almost dark when I started..  even though it was already 5:30..  gray and cloudy and humid today..  But by the time I reached the road into the Carmelo village it was light enough..  Turned not far from the nice house of the hill owned by Ma'am Laurel..  and down the barangay road towards the village.  The road feels a bit barren now..  after they cut the 66 trees that DENR approved to be removed to help widen the barangay road.  That's life..  and progress.  

And through the village..  maayong buntag..  and maayong pasko..  and good morning..  and kids coming to bless..  Feels good to be remembered. Past nay and tay Titings house..  still closed up..  they must be late getting up today..  He is 78.. she in her 80's.. and I notice he's been slower this year.  Not her..  very energetic.  And right again by the beach..  with a glance across to Negros.. invisible today in the haze.  and down to the barangay hall..  and right again..  .  I would have taken the short cut back today which would have taken me past Renato's place and back through the cane fields..  but the water pooled in places told me it would be muddy.. so take the long way back today..  back the way I came..  and a light mist of rain started falling..

And I made a mental note that I must go see Renato.. the bgy captain..  and Ma'am Laurel.. the landowner for much of this land I walked through.  I've volunteered to sponsor a tree planting along a 1.5 km section of road once the road widening is finished, and we've been trying to get a meeting to discuss what needs to be done.  Must get it done before Ma'am Laurel..  85 now..  goes back to New Jersey in March for the summer.   Almost all the trees will be on her land.  Fortunately she's in favour of it.  January will be a good time.. her son will be here from Davao as well.  We would have met last Monday..  but Renato was in Iloilo..  then Wednesday..  but he got sick.  So well try again after the holidays.  Trees likely won't be planted till rainy season starts in June 2020.. maybe even later..  so lots of time.  The seedlings them selves are already progressing..  100 narra and 50 tugas and 50 mahogany..  out back of my place now in a makeshift nursery.. we used to house chickens there.

Then back home..  wonder where Romeo is this morning.  He's 56..  and suffered a stroke about a year ago..  and for most of the last year he's been trying to walk himself back to good health..  along those same roads..  but it's been couple of weeks now since I've seen him..  Hope he's ok.  He speaks just a little English..  and me just a little Visayan..  But we both walk with a cane..  so it gave us a common bond from the beginning.

I was born of an English Protestant mother..  and an Irish Catholic father..  and was taught as a boy to work hard..  and to be proud of my work ethic..  and for the 50+ years I worked.. I was.. But damn it..  I'm retired now..  And I got a whole life of socializing and enjoying the day with-OUT work to catch up on. 

Part of that is here at LINC..  where I've made some good friends over the years..  and though @SkyMan don't know it yet.. I made a mental note to try to go have a coffee with him one day.  up at his castle in the sky.  Just depends if I can get close enough with my 4 wheels to be able to walk the rest.  Other than Liloan.. high up somewhere..  no idea just how accessible the place is.  But it gives you an idea how I intend to fill my remaining days. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Paddy

I like being retired - it gives me plenty of time to wash the car (a job I have always enjoyed). Here in Masbate, if the car goes out in the rain, it needs a wash. If the car goes out in the sun it gets dusty - so needs a wash. If it sits in the carport for two days - it also gets dusty (and covered in spiders) so it needs a wash. All those washes....have to redo the polish from time to time - and the tire black. 

I’m slowing down though. I used to be able to spend all day getting my car to near showroom state. These days, I just spread it out over a couple of days - between car washes! 😀

Oh, and I read a lot. If we ever get our cellular internet back (just about 3 weeks since the typhoon took it out), I’ll be able to read some more. 

And I’m starting to think that maybe I should do more of the house maintenance and upgrade jobs myself...

• Like 4

SomeRandomGuy

I started a fishing rig business as a hobby and it has turned into almost a full time job so that has been interesting.

I am also a bit of a gamer so I get into computer games and what not.

I gave up drinking and smoking awhile back so packed on the weight after that so i guess joining a gym is going to be the next new hobby as rainy season has proved to be a pain in the butt with my walking regime I did have .

I just started doing some Vlogging.  Not for coin but just for a bit of fun and wanted to share a bit of my personal life, opinions and stuff I get up to around the Philippines. 

I am also the housewife in my relationship so that apparently takes up a small amount of time and I also love cooking and make everything from scratch.

In all honesty I have barley enough time to scratch myself with all the other stuff I do here. 

Though I am still on the look out for a pump boat as I want to start doing a bit of catch and release fishing around guimaras and the likes but money always seems to run short of late to even consider an additional expense so will see how next year goes as we are going to be selling the two units we have and moving to a small house.  

Considering buying a lot and designing a greek style/filipino house but with an open roof to allow for a garden/bagoda to give a bit of extra room on the small lots here.    Though I would I guess have to make sure that was allowed in the subdivisions first.

• Like 5

smokey

Allowed sure why not i think only 20%of the houses have off street parking yet its required

Salty Dog
5 hours ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

I gave up drinking and smoking a while back so packed on the weight after that so i guess joining a gym is going to be the next new hobby...

funny-treadmill-fail.gif

• Haha 2

SomeRandomGuy
51 minutes ago, smokey said:

Allowed sure why not i think only 20%of the houses have off street parking yet its required

Depends on the Subdivision.   

Ha  need to sell my condo first before I even think about it.   

I am at still two minds as I have an awesome place that is comfortable and quiet ish for here but with the possibility  of breeding in the future I might need more space.

I have also learnt long term to stick to the laws and the requirements here.  Less issues.

• Like 1

softail
4 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Depends on the Subdivision.   

Ha  need to sell my condo first before I even think about it.   

I am at still two minds as I have an awesome place that is comfortable and quiet ish for here but with the possibility  of breeding in the future I might need more space.

I have also learnt long term to stick to the laws and the requirements here.  Less issues.

May  I ask where The condo is located 

SomeRandomGuy
Just now, softail said:

May  I ask where The condo is located 

Mate I am in Bacolod not Cebu

softail

Sorry, am in Santa Rosa Lugna. 

Paddy

Santa brought me a different car polish for Christmas - so time to try it out 😀

C7D12CB4-C2E7-4A5E-89C1-BF3C848EF971.jpeg.5807c7ed525109f7533c401ceb28eb36.jpeg

• Like 1

Headshot
3 hours ago, Paddy said:

Santa brought me a different car polish for Christmas - so time to try it out 😀

C7D12CB4-C2E7-4A5E-89C1-BF3C848EF971.jpeg.5807c7ed525109f7533c401ceb28eb36.jpeg

If you had been on Santa's good list, he would have brought you a car polisher instead of giving you more work.

Paddy
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

If you had been on Santa's good list, he would have brought you a car polisher instead of giving you more work.

Too many brownouts while I was doing the polishing 😀

Headshot
2 hours ago, Paddy said:

Too many brownouts while I was doing the polishing 😀

Oh, you thought I meant a mechanical (electric) polisher? No ... I was talking about a helper polisher. Someone who does the polishing for you.

Paddy
45 minutes ago, Headshot said:

helper polisher

I’ve thought about it and so far, decided against it. I enjoy doing this. I just wish I could get my “regular” auto care products here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1