Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SomeRandomGuy

What is the cost of living in the Philippines as an Expat

Recommended Posts

SomeRandomGuy

Hey hey all.

Yeah long time no see or chat.  Sorry been a bit busy.

I have started to do a series on the ol Youtube about the cost of living here and all the other questions people ask.

 

A fare few of you lads know me and I am posting this here to see what you guys think.

Here is the link and Merry Christmas.

I should be able to make it to cebu by about Feb so hope to catch up with a few of you lads by then.

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
10 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Hey hey all.

Yeah long time no see or chat.  Sorry been a bit busy.

I have started to do a series on the ol Youtube about the cost of living here and all the other questions people ask.

 

A fare few of you lads know me and I am posting this here to see what you guys think.

Here is the link and Merry Christmas.

I should be able to make it to cebu by about Feb so hope to catch up with a few of you lads by then

 

 

What is the cost of living in the Philippines

Hey I have a question for you,...

 

Are you the Doctor or the Bum?

 

Good to see you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SomeRandomGuy
1 minute ago, shadow said:

Hey I have a question for you,...

 

Are you the Doctor or the Bum?

 

Good to see you!

Ha Shadow I am the bum mate.

That is my partners youtube channel I pop my head up in it every now and then but it is mainly her thing.

Just realized the other day I should probably be helping out lads that are coming here and looking for advice and my take on how it is to live here.

 

Mate give me a yell next time you are on my side of the island

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shadow
2 minutes ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

Ha Shadow I am the bum mate.

That is my partners youtube channel I pop my head up in it every now and then but it is mainly her thing.

Just realized the other day I should probably be helping out lads that are coming here and looking for advice and my take on how it is to live here.

 

Mate give me a yell next time you are on my side of the island

I haven't been on that side any farther north than Sipalay in quite a while, but definitely will give you a buzz if I get that way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SomeRandomGuy
Just now, shadow said:

I haven't been on that side any farther north than Sipalay in quite a while, but definitely will give you a buzz if I get that way.

Yeah mate even myself I have not actually been out of Bacolod region for a long time.

Was in Cebu this time last year for a wedding and dropped around to El geckos to see a few lads but did not really get to catch up with anyone.

Then again a lot of lads are transient and come and go these days.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salty Dog

How about mentioning the forum and adding a link to the forum… :thumbsup:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SomeRandomGuy
3 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

How about mentioning the forum and adding a link to the forum… :thumbsup:

Good idea Salty.    Did not even think of that

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jawny

You may want to point out that you are making a video from an apartment which is furnished, so it appears.  The cost of living for many would include the cost of those furnishings. As well, the car you refer to was a cost to consider, in addition to the annual registration and insurance fees.  Mentioning Philhealth is useful, but there are a lot of copays and deductibles which may not be known to those who come without insurance if any kind.  The cost of living for some may include banking costs, depending upon what methods they use to obtain cash. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salty Dog

There are so many variables. Maybe a better title to your video would be:

"What is My Cost of Living in the Philippines as an Expat"

OR

"My Cost of Living as an Expat in the Philippines"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SomeRandomGuy
19 minutes ago, Jawny said:

You may want to point out that you are making a video from an apartment which is furnished, so it appears.  The cost of living for many would include the cost of those furnishings. As well, the car you refer to was a cost to consider, in addition to the annual registration and insurance fees.  Mentioning Philhealth is useful, but there are a lot of copays and deductibles which may not be known to those who come without insurance if any kind.  The cost of living for some may include banking costs, depending upon what methods they use to obtain cash. 

Yeah Jawny.  This is just the first part of a series that I will do.  The car will be next and I guess the furniture and stuff is not something I even considered as It is just stuff I have accumulated over time from living here.  

This was just what it costs for me month to month set up as I am.

But yes  that is a good point and I should probably not just add insurance, rego, emissions tests, stencils.  I will even explain what the deal is at the moment with buying a second hand car and the process to change it to your name or from a different island.   

Thanks heaps mate for your input really appreciated 

14 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

There are so many variables. Maybe a better title to your video would be:

"What is My Cost of Living in the Philippines as an Expat"

OR

"My Cost of Living as an Expat in the Philippines"

that is a damn good idea too and yeah mate I added the link to the forum also

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot

That video is a very realistic statement of your costs (although you didn't really consider a lot of expenses some of us need for living here), and they might even be considered typical. The thing that anybody coming to the Philippines (or anywhere else in the world for that matter) is that every persons needs, wants and budgets are going to be different. If somebody is satisfied living in a small nipa hut, their costs will certainly not be the same as somebody who would rather live in a large house built to western standards (if such a thing can actually be had in the Philippines). I know you didn't include food in your video, but the same goes there. Some people are satisfied with a completely local diet, while others insist on a western diet (at least some of the time). And of course, you have people all over the spectrum between those points. What you can live with determines what your budget will look at.

Most expats who move to the Philippines are, for the most part, fairly healthy. However, if you live here long enough, your health will decline, and you will need medical care that you never thought about when you were younger. If you have nothing else, Philhealth is nice, but it won't cover your medical expenses. At best, it will cover about 15% of your costs if you have to stay in a hospital. You still have to find a way to cover the rest. Philhealth is a supplemental insurance. In other words, it helps you to cover your costs, but it won't completely cover them. Philhealth WILL get you into an emergency room, and it WILL get you admitted into a hospital, but a credit card will do the same thing (without paying the government 17,000 pesos a year). Basically, everybody needs to have a financial buffer if they plan to live here. Otherwise, a medical emergency could bankrupt you.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SomeRandomGuy
48 minutes ago, Headshot said:

That video is a very realistic statement of your costs (although you didn't really consider a lot of expenses some of us need for living here), and they might even be considered typical. The thing that anybody coming to the Philippines (or anywhere else in the world for that matter) is that every persons needs, wants and budgets are going to be different. If somebody is satisfied living in a small nipa hut, their costs will certainly not be the same as somebody who would rather live in a large house built to western standards (if such a thing can actually be had in the Philippines). I know you didn't include food in your video, but the same goes there. Some people are satisfied with a completely local diet, while others insist on a western diet (at least some of the time). And of course, you have people all over the spectrum between those points. What you can live with determines what your budget will look at.

Most expats who move to the Philippines are, for the most part, fairly healthy. However, if you live here long enough, your health will decline, and you will need medical care that you never thought about when you were younger. If you have nothing else, Philhealth is nice, but it won't cover your medical expenses. At best, it will cover about 15% of your costs if you have to stay in a hospital. You still have to find a way to cover the rest. Philhealth is a supplemental insurance. In other words, it helps you to cover your costs, but it won't completely cover them. Philhealth WILL get you into an emergency room, and it WILL get you admitted into a hospital, but a credit card will do the same thing (without paying the government 17,000 pesos a year). Basically, everybody needs to have a financial buffer if they plan to live here. Otherwise, a medical emergency could bankrupt you.

100% true.    But in saying that if people are on a fixed income and that is the best they can afford then that is it.

yeah there are a lot of variables and I have lived from a beach bum in a nippa hut to living it large in the city and I am just sharing what I spend and how I live here which i think is  just a reasonable middle class type life

Edited by SomeRandomGuy
i suck at spelling apparently
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Headshot
2 hours ago, SomeRandomGuy said:

100% true.    But in saying that if people are on a fixed income and that is the best they can afford then that is it.

yeah there are a lot of variables and I have lived from a beach bum in a nippa hut to living it large in the city and I am just sharing what I spend and how I live here which i think is  just a reasonable middle class type life

I hope you didn't take my comments as a criticism of anything you said in your video. They certainly weren't intended to be taken that way. I was just basically adding what I know to what you said. Very few people have a realistic view of what it will be like to live as an expat in a third-world country long-term. The more information they can learn upfront, the more likely they will be able to plan properly for what they will find. Your video was a pretty good primer for that.

My first thought on people who are living close to the edge in their home country is that they should probably stay where there is a safety net. Otherwise, when things turn bad for them at some point in a third-world country (and they will), they won't have any good options. In the Philippines, if you don't provide your own safety net, you can be sure that nobody else will either (especially the government ... either your home country's government or the Philippine government). Options are very limited if you have no money. It is why so many Filipinos die of diseases that would be survived in western countries. They have no money, they have no care.

However, I have been around long enough to know that many people will make the jump anyway ... because they have heard stories about how cheaply you can live (like a king) in the Philippines. They come with barely enough to make it on a month-to-month basis, with no thought of what the future will bring.

Edited by Headshot
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SomeRandomGuy
31 minutes ago, Headshot said:

I hope you didn't take my comments as a criticism of anything you said in your video. They certainly weren't intended to be taken that way. I was just basically adding what I know to what you said. Very few people have a realistic view of what it will be like to live as an expat in a third-world country long-term. The more information they can learn upfront, the more likely they will be able to plan properly for what they will find. Your video was a pretty good primer for that.

My first thought on people who are living close to the edge in their home country is that they should probably stay where there is a safety net. Otherwise, when things turn bad for them at some point in a third-world country (and they will), they won't have any good options. In the Philippines, if you don't provide your own safety net, you can be sure that nobody else will either (especially the government ... either your home country's government or the Philippine government). Options are very limited if you have no money. It is why so many Filipinos die of diseases that would be survived in western countries. They have no money, they have no care.

However, I have been around long enough to know that many people will make the jump anyway ... because they have heard stories about how cheaply you can live (like a king) in the Philippines. They come with barely enough to make it on a month-to-month basis, with no thought of what the future will bring.

Headshot mate not at all.   Sorry if it came across like that.  I assure you that was not my intention and yes basically the series of videos on this topic I am going to do will be around exactly that, realistically what people can expect on a certain amount living here.   I will try to find lads I know that live close to the edge of about 15 to 20 k  a month here but they tend to either live really rural and do farms and such or are really weird alcoholics.

 

The Philhealth thin I kept saying is purely from the Mrs Somerandomguy and what she sees very often here with expats that live here.  No phil health and no treatment unless credit cards and when they get maxed out the dude is screwed.  

 

Funnily enough I am currently about to  change my insurance as I have always used philhealth as it has always just been a in case of emergencies type deal but with the increase that it is now 17 k for us foreingers I know I can get basic coverage for just myself for now a bit more than that from a actual HMO.

I meet a lot of lads that come from the UK, Australia and canada here though and they have never had HMO in their countries because of free medical insurance that is already paid for by their taxes so when they are at 65 onwards trying to get coverage from a HMO is just not going to happen so I really do think that phil health is their best option.

Hell a lot of these lads are living so close to the line even that is not an option at times and c/c are not even a consideration as they do not qualify regardless some of the lads I have met over the years.

 

Mate please never be afraid to be critical at all of anything I post or do.  I think the amount of variables and what you wrote was a good point.. to the point I will also mention it in a future video.   I am just trying to help lads out as much as possible before they throw caution to the wind and dive in here.

And too right mate they will do it anyway because of all they have read and seen on the internet and then expect something that is hard to find here or is here but takes a lot of hardwork to set up and maintain.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
lamoe

Some time back there was a rather lengthy thread about the various costs to live here - detailing location / accommodations / food / utilities / extras

Eventually you might consider having LINC members PM you (to avoid extraneous comments in this thread) with their COL and if you have Excel or some other type of program a simple chart for each submission

Me - fixed monthly income which is my budget amount less 10% (for big extras) and "do not touch savings"

I draw from one account in US so I have a very firm handle on when I go over budget  or under

I know my monthly major  expenses -  condo, water, electricity, internet, etc -  but it's the extras that can kill you - 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Sailfish Bay Fishing Charters

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..