Typhoon Phanfone - Ursula (18 Dec 2019)

hyaku

Just back online here in Biliran. We had no power for 8 days. In some ways this one was worst than Yolanda. Steel poles that carry power cables bent in two. The power lines to a globe tower is still lying on our land. Repairs are temporary. There will be months of  12 hour brown outs until they fix all this. 

pole.jpg

• Sad 3
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BossHog

• shadow

• SkyMan

• Paddy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

https://westernpacificweather.com/2019/12/18/two-tropical-areas-to-watch-near-the-philippines/ He says it better than I can... "Two invest areas are located east of the Philippines today and

We have just had some good news - everyone is accounted for and ok The village didnt fare too well though The first pic is whats left of the pier at Astorga, and pics two and three are whats

Do you think he could scare it away with his Arnis sticks?

Posted Images

Jester
1 hour ago, hyaku said:

Just back online here in Biliran. We had no power for 8 days. In some ways this one was worst than Yolanda. Steel poles that carry power cables bent in two. The power lines to a globe tower is still lying on our land. Repairs are temporary. There will be months of  12 hour brown outs until they fix all this. 

pole.jpg

One would think that they would install hurricane proof poles.  But it is life in paradise!  Good luck.

Sibonga Simon
11 hours ago, hyaku said:

pole.jpg

We were lucky down South, but we did our turn with Yolanda.  it is a reminder that we live on a hostile planet, and we are just 'guests' for a time.  I wish you well for the coming months of brownouts - time to read those books you wish you had time to read.....

hyaku
On 1/1/2020 at 9:40 PM, Jester said:

One would think that they would install hurricane proof poles.  But it is life in paradise!  Good luck.

It's not really the poles although it not a good idea to plant them in rice paddy without a concrete base. It's trees! Most grow from a seed on the ground, they are not planted. They get big and just fall over, usually on somebody else's property or a power line. I spent seven hours the first day cutting somebody else's trees and banana that grow a good 4/5 meters tall that smash down on walls and fence. I have kept a meter clear around the perimeter fence but it needs to be wider.

HTM

I was in Isabel Leyte that time, hard wind but not any big problem. No power from 6pm to 2pm next day. I use Smart and had Internet the one us Globe no signal at all.

Paddy
On 1/1/2020 at 8:20 PM, hyaku said:

pole.jpg

I was going to comment on the pole’s fitness for purpose - until I zoomed the pic and saw the coco tree underneath. 

As an American comic once said “it’s not THAT the wind is blowin’, it’s WHAT the wind is blowin’”

• Like 1