Wall Switches for Appliances

I have never got my head around the fact that the majority of homes here have not got a simple on-off switch on the wall to turn off appliances. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lamoe

• Woolf

• Jack Rat

• cookie47

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Switched outlets in the US are common when those outlets typically have a lamp/light plugged into them; they turn on the lights. Otherwise, it’s for utilities like trash compactors (the outlet is belo

He was referring to this Australia UK

I live in the USA in a modern home and not a single one of my appliance has an on/off wall switch. That includes washer, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, range, oven, dishwasher, microwave, TVs, and comp

Posted Images

• Administrator
Salty Dog
1 hour ago, Jack Rat said:

I have never got my head around the fact that the majority of homes here have not got a simple on-off switch on the wall to turn off appliances. 

I live in the USA in a modern home and not a single one of my appliance has an on/off wall switch. That includes washer, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, range, oven, dishwasher, microwave, TVs, and computers...

• Like 4

I have never seen a switched outlet in USA

Some many many years ago (25?) the requirement for switched outlet was dropped in denmark

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

I live in the USA in a modern home and not a single one of my appliance has an on/off wall switch. That includes washer, dryer, refrigerator, freezer, range, oven, dishwasher, microwave, TVs, and computers...

The majority of first world countries I have resided in have an appliance off-on switch located on the wall, makes sense.

1 minute ago, Woolf said:

I have never seen a switched outlet in USA

Some many many years ago (25?) the requirement for switched outlet was dropped in denmark

Why?

• Administrator
Salty Dog
1 minute ago, Jack Rat said:

The majority of first world countries I have resided in have an appliance off-on switch located on the wall, makes sense.

Why does it make sense… 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Salty Dog said:

Why does it make sense… 

Because why have to pull the plug every time you want to disconnect the power from the appliance. Then one has to fumble around plugging in the appliance again, it makes more sense to just flick the switch. I have seen fans that were seemingly turned off on the appliance (but plug not pulled at the wall ) overheat. Of course you yanks often do things that don't make sense.:biggrin_01:

• Haha 1
Kahuna

I suppose if you're paying your own electric there'd be a fusebox/circuit breaker box you could shutdown the works from there if need be.. 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

Of course you yanks often do things that don't make sense.:biggrin_01:

Make sense  ????????

Sweden Norway, Germany and France  none switched outlet

and that is just the ones I checked right now

• Like 4
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
20 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

Because why have to pull the plug every time you want to disconnect the power from the appliance. Then one has to fumble around plugging in the appliance again, it makes more sense to just flick the switch. I have seen fans that were seemingly turned off on the appliance (but plug not pulled at the wall ) overheat. Of course you yanks often do things that don't make sense.:biggrin_01:

Why would I need to fumble around to unplug an appliance? I didn't need to unplug my appliances. Many appliances have electronics with clocks, not having one for a refrigerator is obvious, my lights are controlled by devices that need an active home network to work properly which need power to work. Seven of my appliances have delayed start features that require power... 

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Woolf said:

Make sense  ????????

Sweden Norway, Germany and France  none switched outlet

and that is just the ones I checked right now

I guess you guys will have to smarten up, just flicking the switch is much easier, less complicated ?

1 minute ago, Jack Rat said:

I guess you guys will have to smarten up, just flicking the switch is much easier, less complicated ?

much less complicated  just to leave the appliance plugged in  all the time

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Salty Dog said:

Why would I need to fumble around to unplug an appliance? I didn't need to unplug my appliances. Many appliances have electronics with clocks, not having one for a refrigerator is obvious, my lights are controlled by devices that need an active home network to work properly which need power to work. Seven of my appliances have delayed start features that require power... 

So have mine in Aussie, but it is piece of mind when I go out I can just flick the switch and know my appliances are simply disconnected from the power source..a no brainer!

• Like 1
Just now, Jack Rat said:

So have mine in Aussie, but it is piece of mind when I go out I can just flick the switch and know my appliances are simply disconnected from the power source..a no brainer!

oooh sure,  just flip the min breaker   :rolleyes:

• Administrator
Salty Dog
2 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

I thought you said you lived in a first world country... :lol:

How many switches do you need to flip… 

• Haha 2
shadow

Each connection, and each switch you put in a circuit, increases the risk of a bad connection and heat created by it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1