Sign in to follow this  
Sibonga Simon

Overcharged for Bus Trip

Sibonga Simon

Had an interesting experience yesterday in Carcar City.  I recently moved to Perrelos (Carcar City) from Sibonga (a move I regret), mainly because I can't walk to the market, supermarket, seaside... well, you get the picture.

Carcar City is a smaller version of Cebu City, but I tend to think that the traffic is even worse, mainly due to it only having one main road (along the coast), and every mall, etc. situated on that road.  I ramble.... back to the point.

I got on the Ceres bus at the market in Carcar City heading home to Perrelos, the next barangay.  The driver tried to charge me 50p - even though I expressed my disbelieve using my Aussie vernacular.  Then to me the most surprising thing happened.  One of those vendors who sell cakes and treats on the bus jumped in and gave the conductor a earful.

The conductor retreated to the front of the bus, enlisted the aid of the driver, who confirmed that I would be charged 50p.  All hell broke loose.  The vendor, the driver, and the conductor started pushing and shouting and the bus pulled over.

By happenchance one of those Ceres supervisors got on and broke up the melee.  I was feeling really bad - it was over 20p difference - and I get ripped off by more than that most days.....

Well, the supervisor set the record straight.  I was to be charged 30p.  After a few minutes the conductor sheepishly comes up to me and hands me my ticket and change.  When I get off at my stop the driver apologises.  The vendor got off earlier, so I never got tho thank him.

Which got me wondering.....  Does the LTRB have roving inspectors for the bus companies, or do they just self regulate?

shadow
53 minutes ago, Sibonga Simon said:

Had an interesting experience yesterday in Carcar City.  I recently moved to Perrelos (Carcar City) from Sibonga (a move I regret), mainly because I can't walk to the market, supermarket, seaside... well, you get the picture.

Carcar City is a smaller version of Cebu City, but I tend to think that the traffic is even worse, mainly due to it only having one main road (along the coast), and every mall, etc. situated on that road.  I ramble.... back to the point.

I got on the Ceres bus at the market in Carcar City heading home to Perrelos, the next barangay.  The driver tried to charge me 50p - even though I expressed my disbelieve using my Aussie vernacular.  Then to me the most surprising thing happened.  One of those vendors who sell cakes and treats on the bus jumped in and gave the conductor a earful.

The conductor retreated to the front of the bus, enlisted the aid of the driver, who confirmed that I would be charged 50p.  All hell broke loose.  The vendor, the driver, and the conductor started pushing and shouting and the bus pulled over.

By happenchance one of those Ceres supervisors got on and broke up the melee.  I was feeling really bad - it was over 20p difference - and I get ripped off by more than that most days.....

Well, the supervisor set the record straight.  I was to be charged 30p.  After a few minutes the conductor sheepishly comes up to me and hands me my ticket and change.  When I get off at my stop the driver apologises.  The vendor got off earlier, so I never got tho thank him.

Which got me wondering.....  Does the LTRB have roving inspectors for the bus companies, or do they just self regulate?

The LTFRB only investigates if there are complaints, and then seldom.  However, Vallacar Transit, the owner of Ceres, WILL reprimand the driver and conductor if they find you story to be true. They are very interested in maintaining a good public image.

• Like 1

SkyMan

The vendor took a real risk for you.  He may not be picked up by that driver again.  And perhaps his friends.  I don't think I'd ever consider looking for a Ceres bus bus to go 1 brgy.  But they're always full anywhere I'd want to get on anyway.

• Like 1

Kabisay-an gid

Buses are required by law to display the driver's license info/photo of the operator, as well as the correct fares.

If you know what the correct fare is, and they demand more, simply refuse to pay the extra. If they then tell you that they're not going to transport you, stay calm and take note of the driver's info and the bus company/number, and tell them you'll be reporting them to their company headquarters and the national transportation board.

Don't get loud and cause a scene, or they'll use that as the excuse why they tossed you when their company investigates your complaint.

• Like 1

trthebees

Just a thought. Ordinary Ceres does low fares for virtually hopping on and off. But does Aircon have a minimum fare of 50p?  

Sibonga Simon
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

The vendor took a real risk for you.  He may not be picked up by that driver again.  And perhaps his friends.  I don't think I'd ever consider looking for a Ceres bus bus to go 1 brgy.  But they're always full anywhere I'd want to get on anyway.

He did, but I would like to think that I would do the same thing in my home country.  While one brgy may not be very far in many instances, in my case it is over 10km in distance. 

• Like 1

Sibonga Simon
27 minutes ago, trthebees said:

Just a thought. Ordinary Ceres does low fares for virtually hopping on and off. But does Aircon have a minimum fare of 50p?  

Here is the link to the LTFRB Fares for those interested.

I take the same route from home to office and home again pretty much every day and the most I have ever been charged is 30p, for an air conditioned bus.  I have been charged as low as 10p on an ordinary bus.  Neither fare is 'correct' as per the fares published, but life is not fair anyway.....

• Like 1

savarity

Hmmm, I've always been charged 50p for short trips. Both in Luzon and around Cebu, but then people do often take advantage. So, hard to say.

wondersailor
On 12/15/2019 at 4:00 PM, Kabisay-an gid said:

Buses are required by law to display the driver's license info/photo of the operator, as well as the correct fares.

If you know what the correct fare is, and they demand more, simply refuse to pay the extra. If they then tell you that they're not going to transport you, stay calm and take note of the driver's info and the bus company/number, and tell them you'll be reporting them to their company headquarters and the national transportation board.

Don't get loud and cause a scene, or they'll use that as the excuse why they tossed you when their company investigates your complaint.

Is the fare posting a local law? I have never seen it posted in any bus in my area of the Philippines.