fordtech

13A Probationary to Permanent?

fordtech

I have to soon get mt Prob 13A upgraded to Perm. I have been searching the internet and it looks to me about the same steps as getting the prob one except my spouses letter will state perm and not prob. Is that basically the only difference? Still need NBI clearance, folders, letters, passport pictures,marriage contract? Same costs at around 11500p?

BossHog
15 minutes ago, fordtech said:

Is that basically the only difference? Still need NBI clearance, folders, letters, passport pictures,marriage contract? Same costs at around 11500p?

That sounds about right. I'm just about to do the same in early 2020. Curious which office you're using. We did the probationary process in Cebu and it took three round trip flights. We've seen more of Cebu than we ever wanted. So going to do the conversion in Tacloban for a change of scene.

The only thing missing from your list that I can see is you need to factor in the scheduling of the interview. Also make sure the NBI clearance is a new one as they're only valid for 12 months.

Edited by BossHog
  • Haha 1

SkyMan
16 minutes ago, BossHog said:

Also make sure the NBI clearance is a new one as they're only valid for 12 months.

I think only 6 months but either way, you probably need a new one.  And yes, it's pretty much the same BS over again which is why I recommend folks get their 13A in their home country if they can.  Obviously, it's not worth the flight, etc. just for that but if the timing works out right, that's the way I'd do it.  (Should have done it that way but didn't know it was possible.)

BossHog
5 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

I recommend folks get their 13A in their home country if they can

This is solid advice. And there's the added benefit of getting your permanent status straight away without the one year probationary period.

But if you already live here and have already started the process then the conversion needs to be done here in country.

Edited by BossHog
  • Thanks 1

SkyMan
1 minute ago, BossHog said:

This is solid advice. And there's the added benefit of getting your permanent status straight away without the one year probationary period.

That's really the only reason or only significant reason anyway.  I think it might be a little more expensive to do it out of country but only doing it once it ends up cheaper.  In my case, I went back to the US within 6 months of getting married but didn't know I could do it there and only have to do  it once.  That's why I let people know they can.

• Thanks 1

fordtech
10 hours ago, BossHog said:

That sounds about right. I'm just about to do the same in early 2020. Curious which office you're using. We did the probationary process in Cebu and it took three round trip flights. We've seen more of Cebu than we ever wanted. So going to do the conversion in Tacloban for a change of scene.

The only thing missing from your list that I can see is you need to factor in the scheduling of the interview. Also make sure the NBI clearance is a new one as they're only valid for 12 months.

Yes I use the Tacloban office. They are great imo

• Thanks 1

BossHog
On 12/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, fordtech said:

Is that basically the only difference?

Working on one last piece of paper before applying for the amendment to permanent next week.

It's #3 on the BI checklist, Joint affidavit of continuous cohabitation of applicant and the petitioning spouse.  Don't recall having to submit this affidavit during the initial application last year.

Not having any luck finding a good template so just having my lawyer draw one up as I think it needs notarized anyways.

Edited by BossHog

Jawny

"Joint affidavit of continuous cohabitation of applicant and the petitioning spouse"......type that into google and many examples pop up.  

• Like 1

Paddy

If you have an attorney already involved and that attorney needs a supplied affidavit template.....I’d get another attorney!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BossHog
1 hour ago, Paddy said:

If you have an attorney already involved and that attorney needs a supplied affidavit template.....I’d get another attorney!😀

Nah, I just got lazy looking for online templates and had someone do it for me. Like I said, he's gotta notarize it anyways so I figured might as well have him do all the work.

edit: Actually, they're overdoing this affidavit. The legal secretary keeps calling me this morning asking for names of marriage witnesses, date and location of 'first cohabitation', birth certificate of child, etc. A bit of overkill; had to tell 'em to keep it simple. He's an excellent real estate attorney but doesn't usually do paperwork for the BI.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 1

Dafey
1 hour ago, BossHog said:

The legal secretary keeps calling me this morning asking for names of marriage witnesses,

I'll be your witness!

Amazing what a free beer and pizza can produce!

• Haha 2

BossHog
4 hours ago, Dafey said:

I'll be your witness!

Amazing what a free beer and pizza can produce!

I wouldn't even trust you as a character witness; you've seen me in full BossHog mode!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

BossHog
On 12/14/2019 at 7:20 AM, fordtech said:

Same costs at around 11500p?

6740+2500 Express lane fees=9240

SkyMan
4 minutes ago, BossHog said:

6740+2500 Express lane fees=9240

Does that include the cost for a new ACR-I card?

BossHog
18 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Does that include the cost for a new ACR-I card?

Yep. Just checked the receipt. 2530 of the 6750 was for the ACR I-Card.

• Like 1