Sign in to follow this  
softail

P10K/$200 ideal Filipino cost of living in the Philippines 2019

softail

P10K/$200 ideal cost of living in the Philippines 2019

Around P10,000 or $200 is the ideal cost of living in the Philippines for 2019.

Philippine Statistics Authority (PSA) said a family needs P10,727 monthly income to meet the home’s expenses.

PSA Assistant Secretary Rosalinda Bautista said this amount could already support a family of five (parents and three children).

Asec. Bautista said a huge percentage of P10,727 monthly salary would be for food items, which costs up to P7,528.

She said this was enough to set the aforementioned monthly threshold for food from breakfast to dinner. The food allocation could also cover snacks.

The rest or remaining P3199 are expenses for non-food items such as clothing, house maintenance or rent, water and electricity, medical care, and more.

The official added that the P10,727 monthly income does not include the recreation and drinking for those with vices.

Currently, a minimum wage worker in Metro Manila earns around P9,000 ($176), which is P453.16 for 20 working days.

Cost of living in the Philippines 2019

Expatisan meanwhile reported a family of four needs P122,373 or around $2,400 to live comfortably in the Philippines. This includes monthly rent, dining in restaurants, internet, beer, branded clothes, and regular consumption of fruits and vegetables. You can check out the full list of expenses here.

A single person meanwhile will have estimated monthly costs of P63,185 or $1,240 to live comfortably in Manila. The website also says the cost of living in the Philippines is cheaper than in 64% of countries in Asia (9 out of 14) and 68% of countries in the World (68 out of 100).

The Philippines is also included in “The Cheapest Places to Live in the World – 2019” article by noted travel writer Tim Leffel.

“Easy Living in the Philippines — The current president of the Philippines makes Trump look like a stable genius by comparison, and Manila is one of the most traffic-choked cities in the world, but get past those factors, and this can be a desirable place to live for less. There’s a deep bench of smiling workers who have a native speaker level command of the English language. So this is probably the cheapest country in the world that’s English speaking, ideal for those who don’t want to learn a new language. Beer is often a buck in a bar, and you can order a round of cocktails for the table without breaking the bank,” Leffel said.

https://philippineslifestyle.com/p10k-200-ideal-cost-of-living-in-the-philippines-2019/

user333

Where did you get the word "ideal" from? Everything I've read say it was the minimum, basic, and no frills number. 

• Like 1

RogerDuMond
50 minutes ago, user333 said:

Where did you get the word "ideal" from? Everything I've read say it was the minimum, basic, and no frills number. 

I assume that he got the word from Margaret Fermin, the author of the article.

• Like 4

smokey

Well smoky requires more i spend about 3000 a month and i have no vices 

jtmwatchbiz
8 hours ago, softail said:

Around P10,000 or $200 is the ideal cost of living in the Philippines for 2019.

at first I assumed this was daily, which still falls short of my wife's "ideal" amount.      

• Like 2

Cgu

I think the article, or better expatisan, is quite accurate. Of course, everybody has different needs, but the list of expenses is quite accurate  (some items are off...but most are acceptable) and so is the total (for expats to live "comfortably" is around 1250 (single) and 2400 (family). Comfortably for me means you do not struggle by the end of the months, but do not either splurge (branded clothes once a year etc.) and your appartment is not really big (rather small 85sqm.

And there are still at least 32 cheaper countries😁

• Like 1

to_dave007
7 hours ago, smokey said:

Well smoky requires more i spend about 3000 a month and i have no vices 

Mmm..  Would vanity and braggadocio be considered vices?

• Haha 2

smokey
4 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Mmm..  Would vanity and braggadocio be considered vices?

No bragging would be if i said i spent 3000 a month and saved the other half .. I am saying (((( I )))))) would not want to live on less if possible and i am sure others spend more then that to live in the style they choose

Edited by smokey
  • Like 2

SkyMan
8 hours ago, Cgu said:

and your appartment is not really big (rather small 85sqm.

That's over twice the size of my house.  :cry:

• Like 1

smokey

So lets see what got you thinking living in philippines was for you? Cost.  Having been born poor i knew cost was important and doing my research i find a site called living in the philippines and the draw??  I LIVE IN A 4 BEDROOM HOUSE WITH POOL IN BEVERLY HILLS FOR 15.000 PESO A MONTH..i lived in california and everyone knows what beverly hills means.  I came for 8 days second trip 14 days.   3rd trip another 14 days all in 3 months time .... Well gee guess i should of received the darwin award ..these reports to me fit one person and that is the one writing it ...

user333
On 12/12/2019 at 6:08 PM, RogerDuMond said:

I assume that he got the word from Margaret Fermin, the author of the article.

Margaret Fermin just made up her own opinion about the data and presented it like it was the government's statement. Ideal? That means perfect or most suitable. The Assistant Secretary said it was the minimum amount. She never said ideal. It sounds like PhilippinesLifestyle is spinning fake news. 

Philippine Statistics Authority Assistant Secretary Rosalinda Bautista on Wednesday said P10,727 is the minimum amount that could get a family basic food and non-food items.

https://cnnphilippines.com/news/2019/12/11/Poverty-minimum-wage.html

How do they define the poverty threshold? 

According to the PSA, the P10,727 is the poverty threshold, or "the minimum income required to meet the basic food and non-food needs such as clothing, fuel, light and water, housing, rental of occupied dwelling units, transportation and communication, health and education expenses, non-durable furnishing, household operations and personal care and effects."

“That is known as basic needs so 'no frills'. No fancy items there [and] I’m sure many families are subsisting with that kind of budget,” Pernia explained at a press briefing in Malacañang on Wednesday. 

Read more at https://www.philstar.com/headlines/2019/12/12/1976509/p7528-monthly-no-frills-food-budget-unrealistic-government-told#Q826iD3TRzlXCoj7.99

Also, is this in Manila, Cebu, or the province? Probably the province. 

rrider
22 hours ago, Cgu said:

(for expats to live "comfortably" is around 1250 (single) and 2400 (family).

My expenses for the month, for a family of 5, and 2 helpers is PHP 36000,  (and that includes a few bottles of beer/month)

wondersailor

Living expenses in the Philippines is dependent.on where in the Philippines you live. Manila is the most expensive, Cebu is a bit less, and where I live (outside Davao) is cheaper then Cebu. The article referenced refers to Manila.