MTip87

Beach Resort Advice

MTip87

Hello

It's been 10 years since I've visited the Philippines, the wife has been back to visit her family on a couple of occasions . 

We are looking to visit this coming April (wife 6yr old son and myself ) after Holy Week and we want to go to a beach resort and we plan on bringing some family members with us

On previous visits, we have been to Plantation Bay, Moal Boal, Bohol and Dumaguette 

We will be flying most likely into Manila and hopefully taking just one flight to another resort.  Our needs/requests/preferences are as follows

Beachfront a necessity, relaxing atmosphere

White beaches and calm waters that are good for swimming.  My wife did her diving exam in Dumaguette and she found the currents there a little exhausting

I was not impressed with Mactan or Moal Boal . Palawan looks great but beachfront location for 3 rooms would prove very expensive

Price range of $150-$200 per night is fine.  We would like somewhere quiet, night life is not important.  Both my son and I love swimming so calm waters are preferred.

We would prefer somewhere small rather than a large beach resort, we looked at some places in boracay which were nice but with 600-700 capacity that is not what we are looking for.  

Catered, good restaurants and supermarkets nearby would all be helpful

We don't want to do too much traveling, one onward flight from Manila and a bus/taxi ride to the resort would be perfect.  We could fly into 
Cebu if it is more convenient

Any ideas would be really appreciated

Thank you

Kabisay-an gid

Check out Siquijor on TripAdvisor. They have a number of reasonably priced small to medium-sized beach resorts, but the selection of restaurants and supermarkets would be weak. 

• Like 2

MTip87

what about getting there?  From Cebu or Manila?

Thanks

Salty Dog
11 minutes ago, MTip87 said:

what about getting there?  From Cebu or Manila?

Thanks

Flights from both into Dumaguete where you catch a boat to Siquijor.

You can also take a bus or boat from Cebu to Dumaguete.

There are some nice resorts near Dumaguete as well.

@shadow has lived in the Dumaguete area for years and is probably familiar with all of the local resorts.

Kabisay-an gid

I recommend the flight from Cebu to Dumaguete, booking in advance and checking in online will save lots of time. 

Grab a cab from the airport to the ferry port, they're not far apart, where you'll board the ferry for Siquijor. 

to_dave007

Sipalay Negros.  There is local airport.

BossHog
5 hours ago, MTip87 said:

Beachfront a necessity, relaxing atmosphere

White beaches and calm waters that are good for swimming.  

Price range of $150-$200 per night is fine. 

Fly into PP (Puerto Princesa) on Palawan. They have resorts there that fit your criteria.

shadow
2 hours ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I recommend the flight from Cebu to Dumaguete, booking in advance and checking in online will save lots of time. 

Grab a cab from the airport to the ferry port, they're not far apart, where you'll board the ferry for Siquijor. 

LOL, there still are no cabs in Dumaguete, to get from the airport to the pier one must pile into a tricycle and pay premium prices (or walk to the highway for regular fare trike to the pier).

Or, hire a van.

As Salty implied, there are many very nice resorts near Dumaguete. Mike's Dauin Beach Resort checks all your boxes, and at half or less of your budget. Family operated small place, with great food and atmosphere.  http://mikes-beachresort.com/

If your entourage intends to do any diving, it would be pretty hard to beat Mike's overall.

However as your wife found out the currents in the area can be quite strong.

Coco Grove Beach Resort on Siquijor would be a good choice too;

https://www.cocogrovebeachresort.com/ 

Siquijor has been growing in leaps and bounds, and there is plenty of food options there now for a  week or two vaca.

Another good Siquijor option would be Coral Cay, just down the beach from Coco Grove;  https://www.coralcayresort.com/index.html

If you are up for a 4 hour bus ride, Sugar Beach at Sipalay has many options, and is very nice. Sugar Beach is very quiet and secluded with a gorgeous 1 KM long white sand beach with 8 or 10 small resorts scattered along it., but Sipalay is a little hard to get to/from, 4 hours by bus only from Dumaguete or Bacolod, then a short boat ride.

It's well worth the trip.

https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/Attraction_Review-g651660-d4002499-Reviews-Sugar_Beach-Sipalay_Negros_Occidental_Negros_Island_Visayas.html

Happy trails!

• Thanks 2

mikewright

You might like to consider Port Barton in Palawan, it seems to meet your requirements.

Beachfront resorts at reasonable prices. The resort below where we stayed, for example, is on the beach and is currently advertising deluxe double rooms for AUD $48 per night for April.

PB2.jpg.0951c62767a19be1aa3e7245a5ca300c.jpg

Port Barton has a very long white beach, with calm waters for swimming.

PB3.jpg.e764ce8395349dc02d82e372ad0a903c.jpg

Port Barton also has some excellent island-hopping nearby, great snorkelling with clear waters, corals, turtles, small fish.  I didn't dive there, but it does have some dive shops.

639573752_PB1.jpg.5d266fbbe7d7030a08881ebd53744b10.jpg

1311025449_PB4.jpg.0d32fbe5e92fbde316dcff6f9e5f47d8.jpg

The town is very small, and nightlife is pretty quiet. The resorts have their own  restaurants, and there are a few bar/restaurants, where people tend to congregate at sunset. A few good restaurants, Jambalaya on the beach springs to mind, and good seafood places, but mostly resort restaurants. I can't recall seeing a supermarket, it was mainly general stores.

Travel there is by flight to Puerto Princesa, then several hours by van or jeepney to Port Barton.

A good day trip to consider if staying in Port Barton is a day trip to the Underground River in Sabang, but probably best to organize through an agent in Puerto Princesa.

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Headshot

I would suggest either El Nido or Coron in Palawan. There are plenty of resorts that will meet your criteria at both, and both have direct flights from Manila. They are the best beach and diving locations I have found.

MTip87

Thanks for all the information

Will spend this weekend looking at my choices

Really appreciate all the help

• Like 1

mikewright
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

I would suggest either El Nido or Coron in Palawan. There are plenty of resorts that will meet your criteria at both, and both have direct flights from Manila. They are the best beach and diving locations I have found.

Bill, I guess you are referring to the islands visited on day trips? The islands around El Nido, Palawan and Coron Town, Busuanga are truly spectacular, but are I wouldn't recommend either town itself as suitable if the OP is looking for beachfront with a relaxing atmosphere.

We had a hotel next to the pier in El Nido, and after seeing and smelling what was flowing directly into the water there decided to give swimming a miss :(. El Nido beach also gets a tad crowded these days:

EN11.jpg.3a55c6705bd067e3816d49cd7e58f7ae.jpg

Can't comment on a sand beach at Coron Town as we didn't find one, but the town shoreline is pretty built up  and water quality not so hot:

C2.jpg.6bcbac8e8293869322b465b9adbce5a7.jpg

The islands around Coron Town can get a bit crowded at times, as all the tour boats tend to go to the same place.  Here's the queue to get out of Cagayun Lake

C.jpg.074ec9e97b18acd7af961fdb2234770a.jpg

Port Barton is definitely quieter!

Edited by mikewright
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

RR3

I know a perfect place with great beaches affordable resorts  diving and all. But I wont publish where on public forum :cool: :drink:

• Like 1

Davaoeno

I know a 6 star place owned by a guy who is so rich he will pay you to stay there- but I will only disclose it to you in the Ayala underground parking lot on a full moon ! 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Headshot
4 hours ago, mikewright said:

Bill, I guess you are referring to the islands visited on day trips? The islands around El Nido, Palawan and Coron Town, Busuanga are truly spectacular, but are I wouldn't recommend either town itself as suitable if the OP is looking for beachfront with a relaxing atmosphere.

We had a hotel next to the pier in El Nido, and after seeing and smelling what was flowing directly into the water there decided to give swimming a miss :(. El Nido beach also gets a tad crowded these days:

Can't comment on a sand beach at Coron Town as we didn't find one, but the town shoreline is pretty built up  and water quality not so hot:

The islands around Coron Town can get a bit crowded at times, as all the tour boats tend to go to the same place. 

Port Barton is definitely quieter!

There are resorts in the outlying areas of both El Nido town and Coron town that can fill the OP's needs. If you need to stay in the center of El Nido and take the crowded group tours, then you get what you pay for, but with the price range that he gave ($150 to $200 per night), he has a lot more options than what you suggested. There are also private resorts on some of the outlying islands around El Nido and Coron that have it all right on their property. I suggested those two resort areas because there is a good diversity in the types of resorts available. It gives the OP a good selection to choose from. If he just wants quiet, there are thousands of resorts in the Philippines that can offer that. but most people get pretty bored after just a few days if there is nothing to do other than just lay around.

• Like 2