Helpers, Wages or Anything Else Off Topic

to_dave007

shadow
24 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

When was the last time you tipped a minimum wage employee at a McDonalds or Burger King or Walmart?

Or a worker picking grapes?!?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• TheMatrix

• Kabisay-an gid

• Jack Rat

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or a worker picking grapes?!?  

When was the last time you tipped a minimum wage employee at a McDonalds or Burger King or Walmart?

I had a steak here so rough it must of been used by rocky balboa in his movie when paulie took him to the meat plant

Posted Images

9 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

I don't want the entire world to make $10.29, but agree there should be some equalization.  The western world needs to come down, and the rest of us come up :-)  I believe that is what has been happening over the last 20 years, however slowly, but moving in the right direction.

I disagree about the illegals are the only ones with lower wages.  I know it's difficult finding citizens to do hard back breaking work such as picking grapes, for $13/hr in my area, so we are forced to hire "legal" immigrants.  There is lots of competition for those immigrants from surrounding farms which are forcing wages up.  There is seriously a severe labor shortage.

Should producers also lower their standards of living / reduce the cost of their products to reflect this wage reduction?

The wine industry, along with other stoop labor products, are in the same boat as cotton prior to the Civil War.

Relied on cheap labor to minimize cost to produce and are now faced with a big problem and must change to survive or perish.

https://www.registerguard.com/special/20191001/bluechip-mechanical-grape--harvesting-finds-its-way

The choice has been a no-brainer for Nuclo and King Estate. “It costs us about $900 per acre to hand-pick. Mechanically, labor is $150 an acre.”

SkyMan
12 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

I know it's difficult finding citizens to do hard back breaking work such as picking grapes, for $13/hr in my area,

I would if I didn't have something better.  I think a lot of college students would too depending on the timing.    But I wouldn't do it if I had to learn Spanish.  

shadow
2 hours ago, lamoe said:

Should producers also lower their standards of living / reduce the cost of their products to reflect this wage reduction?

The wine industry, along with other stoop labor products, are in the same boat as cotton prior to the Civil War.

Relied on cheap labor to minimize cost to produce and are now faced with a big problem and must change to survive or perish.

The machinery investment required for mechanical harvesting is likely too cost prohibitive for smaller vineyards.

SkyMan
23 minutes ago, shadow said:

The machinery investment required for mechanical harvesting is likely too cost prohibitive for smaller vineyards.

Perhaps a coop with other small vineyards in the area would work?

• Like 2
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Helpers & Wages in the Philippines.

While a comparison with other countries is to be expected, let's not get too afar of the Philippine related topic...

TheMatrix
48 minutes ago, shadow said:

I don't know how to answer this without going off topic, but I'll make it quick.  Due to labor shortage, we started mechanical harvesting three years ago but 25% of our vineyard is flop terrace style and can't be machine harvested.  I wish I could import a couple hundred Philippines worker from the province to live onsite and take care of the farm.  All expenses paid, living in paradise... no wages though :-)

• Like 1
Headshot
8 hours ago, lamoe said:

My sister has a wine vineyard in central California. She and her husband used to have laborers (probably mostly illegals working for contractors) come in to harvest the crop (along with all of the other work that must be done throughout the year), but then they switched over to mechanical sprayers and mechanical harvesters. None of the machine operators are making only minimum wage. My sister got a much better harvest from her vineyard for less money. I doubt there are many vineyard owners in the US who are still using immigrant workers. Machines simply do the work better, faster and cheaper. Pruning is just about the only thing that must be done by hand, and they do most of that themselves. The fact is that a lot of the jobs that "Americans won't do" in agriculture that illegal immigrants filled have gone away, and have been replaced by machines. There isn't much need for illegal immigrants coming in to do those jobs anymore.

smokey
2 hours ago, Headshot said:

My sister has a wine vineyard in central California. She and her husband used to have laborers (probably mostly illegals working for contractors) come in to harvest the crop (along with all of the other work that must be done throughout the year), but then they switched over to mechanical sprayers and mechanical harvesters. None of the machine operators are making only minimum wage. My sister got a much better harvest from her vineyard for less money. I doubt there are many vineyard owners in the US who are still using immigrant workers. Machines simply do the work better, faster and cheaper. Pruning is just about the only thing that must be done by hand, and they do most of that themselves. The fact is that a lot of the jobs that "Americans won't do" in agriculture that illegal immigrants filled have gone away, and have been replaced by machines. There isn't much need for illegal immigrants coming in to do those jobs anymore.

I have had a few illegals worked for me and it was common that they would have a ranch or farm in mexico with a wife and children and live with a mistress in a section 8 apt collect food.stamps and she would have a few children collecting ssd for add a common ailment 3 kids on ssd is 2400 us plus 800 month food stamps  a 4 bedroom apt 60 dollars a month free medical and and dental and a free cell phone with 400 min a month and his under the table wages oh and claim on taxes child earned credit a nice 7000 a year boost from her part time 15 hour a week government paid job

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, smokey said:

I have had a few illegals worked for me and it was common that they would have a ranch or farm in mexico with a wife and children and live with a mistress in a section 8 apt collect food.stamps and she would have a few children collecting ssd for add a common ailment 3 kids on ssd is 2400 us plus 800 month food stamps  a 4 bedroom apt 60 dollars a month free medical and and dental and a free cell phone with 400 min a month and his under the table wages oh and claim on taxes child earned credit a nice 7000 a year boost from her part time 15 hour a week government paid job

Zackly.

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid
16 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

There are no minimum wage employees to tip at any of those corporations.

The federal US minimum wage is $7.25, Walmart employees START at $11 per hour. Throw in their annual bonuses and the monetary value of their benefits package, and they're actually making about $14.40 an hour, right at about double the minimum wage. Not bad for unskilled labor.

McDonald's employees START at over $10 per hour, and again factoring in such things as bonuses and benefits, they're making a respectable wage for unskilled labor.

And why would anyone in their right mind tip a fast food restaurant employee anyway? The customer has to walk to the cash register to place their order, wait on it and carry it to their seat, then place their trash in a receptacle on the way out.

Sorry, but I have no intention of tipping the cashier for taking my money or the person in back for flipping my burger.

Tips in the restaurant industry are intended for employees who work in sit down restaurants with table wait staff and busboys/girls.

TheMatrix
10 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

There are no minimum wage employees to tip at any of those corporations.

The federal US minimum wage is $7.25, Walmart employees START at $11 per hour. Throw in their annual bonuses and the monetary value of their benefits package, and they're actually making about $14.40 an hour, right at about double the minimum wage. Not bad for unskilled labor.

McDonald's employees START at over $10 per hour, and again factoring in such things as bonuses and benefits, they're making a respectable wage for unskilled labor.

And why would anyone in their right mind tip a fast food restaurant employee anyway? The customer has to walk to the cash register to place their order, wait on it and carry it to their seat, then place their trash in a receptacle on the way out.

Sorry, but I have no intention of tipping the cashier for taking my money or the person in back for flipping my burger.

Tips in the restaurant industry are intended for employees who work in sit down restaurants with table wait staff and busboys/girls.

Untrue!  Most of those establishments do indeed pay minimum wage.  Minimum wages are typically set by the State and can not fall under the Federal minimum.  For example, here in Arizona, minimum wage is $11.00 ($12.00 starting in 3 weeks from now) and McDonald's, Burger King and Walmart do start their employees at the minimum.  Same in Oregon.  Each market varies depending on labor competition.  We need more immigrants or else even these inner city markets such as Phoenix will be FORCED to increase starting wages.

• Like 1
Kabisay-an gid
4 minutes ago, TheMatrix said:

Untrue!  Most of those establishments do indeed pay minimum wage.  Minimum wages are typically set by the State and can not fall under the Federal minimum.  For example, here in Arizona, minimum wage is $11.00 ($12.00 starting in 3 weeks from now) and McDonald's, Burger King and Walmart do start their employees at the minimum.  Same in Oregon.  Each market varies depending on labor competition.  We need more immigrants or else even these inner city markets such as Phoenix will be FORCED to increase starting wages.

I was clearly referring to the FEDERAL minimum wage, Einstein, not STATE minimum wages which vary significantly.

And apparently the part about the bonuses and monetary value of benefits packages blew well over your head.

Also, I listed just STARTING pay, which employees at those companies don't stay at for very long. They receive fairly regular raises based on time at the company and satisfactory work performance, so the AVERAGE employee is making well above federal minimum wage.

TheMatrix
1 minute ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

I was clearly referring to the FEDERAL minimum wage, Einstein, not STATE minimum wages which vary significantly.

And apparently the part about the bonuses and monetary value of benefits packages blew well over your head.

Also, I listed just STARTING pay, which employees at those companies don't stay at for very long. They receive fairly regular raises based on time at the company and satisfactory work performance, so the AVERAGE employee is making well above federal minimum wage.

The Federal minimum wage is a moot point if nobody can pay it.  But I suppose you might be able to locate a jurisdiction that doesn't have a State mandated wage.  

Kabisay-an gid
13 hours ago, TheMatrix said:

I wish I could import a couple hundred Philippines worker from the province to live onsite and take care of the farm.  All expenses paid, living in paradise... no wages though :-)

Sounds like you want to be a slaveowner, not an employer. 

41 minutes ago, TheMatrix said:

For example, here in Arizona, minimum wage is $11.00 ($12.00 starting in 3 weeks from now) and McDonald's, Burger King and Walmart do start their employees at the minimum.

But many states have a minimum wage below $11 an hour, yet the minimum nationwide starting pay at all Walmart stores is $11, so their starting pay is ABOVE the minimum wage in many states.

So once again you gave us bad/bogus info.

Edited by Kabisay-an gid
  • Thanks 1