What's Your Favorite Pizza Style

Salty Dog

9 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

Apparently, back then, it was perfectly acceptable for men to have a few beers together after work. It was also acceptable for mom to bring you to the pub on payday Fridays to empty dad’s pockets of change for pinball, stuff your face in a smokey bar, and “try”  dad’s beer.  Mom and dad would probably be in prison nowadays for the smoke and beer, plus mom might have been there partially to make sure part of the paycheque made it home, but that was the best pizza.  

Nice---real nice--- thanks for the link and the trip down nostalgia lane ^^^^^^^.

How did any of us survive such abhorrent child abuse back in the day !!!! LOL

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• M.C.A.

• liquido

• BossHog

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Generally Pizza is not served spicey hot,the flavor would be messed up completely...There are some people that like to sprinkle a small amount of red pepper flakes on there slice though..And yes the m

About 15 years ago, we had a bakery in the back woods of Masbate, selling the usual sugar bread snacks. One trip home from Saudi, I decided to try and introduce a little culture by making pizza. Broug

Posted Images

liquido
10 hours ago, HongKongPhooey said:

Most of the old local taverns have closed or switched over to fufu menus. Never ate at any of the places linked but explains the pizza: https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/chicago.eater.com/platform/amp/maps/best-chicago-thin-crust-pizza-restaurants-tavern-style

You really know how to hurt a guy...

BossHog

For personal consumption I like a really basic pie that isn't overloaded as heck. About half the cheese you see on newer offerings.

Watching NFL you see all these ads from places like Pizza Hut with garlic knot stuffed cheese crust gut bombs. Ugh. A simple pie at its best lets the quality of the crust and sauce play the starring role. Too many ingredients are a distraction.

For homemade pies in the Phils I like Zamboanga sardines packed in olive oil as a topping on a thin crust with chili flakes. Works for me,

• Thanks 1
shadow
33 minutes ago, BossHog said:

For personal consumption I like a really basic pie that isn't overloaded as heck. About half the cheese you see on newer offerings.

Watching NFL you see all these ads from places like Pizza Hut with garlic knot stuffed cheese crust gut bombs. Ugh. A simple pie at its best lets the quality of the crust and sauce play the starring role. Too many ingredients are a distraction.

For homemade pies in the Phils I like Zamboanga sardines packed in olive oil as a topping on a thin crust with chili flakes. Works for me,

So from this one could assume you would prefer canned sardines and magic flakes over a real pizza?

;)

• Haha 1
BossHog

de gustibus non disputandum est

You and a few others know that I own several pizza restos in d'Phils. My personal tastes in pizza don't reflect what we sell. lol. Did you know that Hawaiian pizza with drizzled honey is a 'thing' now?

But yeah, a good simple pie with a minimal amount of high quality seafood is a preference. Hint: you need to be spending over 200 on a small jar of sardines. The local clams and shrimp work too.

• Like 1
shadow
5 minutes ago, BossHog said:

de gustibus non disputandum est

You and a few others know that I own several pizza restos in d'Phils. My personal tastes in pizza don't reflect what we sell. lol. Did you know that Hawaiian pizza with drizzled honey is a 'thing' now?

But yeah, a good simple pie with a minimal amount of high quality seafood is a preference. Hint: you need to be spending over 200 on a small jar of sardines. The local clams and shrimp work too.

Well here the new thing is french fries on pizza. Beats the honey, I guess, I cant' stand the abhorrently sweet stuff most locals put out as "pizza".

• Like 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I love all styles of pizza. Thick or thin crust, regular or pan. NY and Chicago style. 

When I'm buying a pizza though, one or two toppings don't do it for me. I want some meat and veggies. One of each just wouldn't make it.

I'm not a pizza snob though. I can enjoy pizza from just about every pizza place. Well except for Greenwich Pizza… 

• Like 2
Headshot

Greenwich doesn't sell pizza. They sell something that resembles pizza, but has no real pizza ingredients in it. I'm similar to you. I have liked most pizzas that I have tried in my life. My favorite pizza in the Cebu metro area is Shakey's hand-tossed pizza. It is probably closer to New York pizza than the other styles, but I doubt that anybody from New York would agree that it is very close at all. You can get pretty much any topping you want on them. If you are a purist, and you want a margarita pizza or a cheese pizza, they can do that, or they can add whatever toppings you like. Personally, I like the combination pizzas, with tons of meats and veggies on the pizza. I will forego putting fish on my pizza. I think it must be an acquired taste.

• Thanks 2

Earlier this year a Dominoes pizza opened up not to far from us and now there are many chained stores in the Philippines but they only seem to be on Luzon and that was a welcomed change because we also had a Shakey's open up two years ago but their prices are high for what you order or what you get the chicken seems small and the waitresses and food service is not only sluggish but lackadaisical at best as compared to Dominoes... We can sometimes (always a promo) get two hand tossed large Pizza's and 1.5 liter Coke for under 700 pesos eating inside their small restaurant it is fully air conditioned with a modern bathroom, really nice so it appears Dominoes continues to move south because we live near Sta Cruz Laguna, hopefully they'll begin to show up in Cebu.

I agree with Greenwich.. yuck and no thanks, the citizen seems to like it though they claim it's a juicy pizza lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

I always buy my pizza on sale. Usually can get as much as 50% off regular price.

My wife brought home a pizza the other day from a small Italian restaurant in town. It was $22 and some change. I was like, WTF. She said, but it's really good. Well she was right. It was great. But then I hadn't eaten all day, so maybe anything would have tasted great...

2018-12-17-1-e1545322546785-768x704.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrator
Salty Dog

Where are the rest of the Pizza lovers out there. Lets hear from some more of you. Maybe take our minds off of the virus for a little while…

Paddy

Anything with real mozzarella on it!!!

reading some of the prices quoted, you can perhaps understand our “lack” here in Masbate when I tell you a Hawaiian from Papa J’s (the nicest ive had so far here) is like 85pesos...

• Like 2
Soupeod

Regular crust, lots of fresh homemade sauce, mozerella, fungi, yellow and orange pepper, black olive.

cooked in a brick oven with wood.

• Like 1
mikecon3

New York style, lots of toppings...just keep the fish off it!

• Like 1
JohnSurrey

The large plain Margherita we had in an Italian place in Greenbelt/Ayala mall last week - came with 4 large chicken wings, spaghetti for 2 and a bottle of red wine 4 just P1099

Wish I could remember the name of the place.

• Like 1