• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Salty Dog

• M.C.A.

• liquido

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Generally Pizza is not served spicey hot,the flavor would be messed up completely...There are some people that like to sprinkle a small amount of red pepper flakes on there slice though..And yes the m

About 15 years ago, we had a bakery in the back woods of Masbate, selling the usual sugar bread snacks. One trip home from Saudi, I decided to try and introduce a little culture by making pizza. Broug

Posted Images

Deep dish

Chicago has 2 styles deep dish / thin crispy crust

Both can run up to $30 - depending on toppings

• Like 1
liquido
48 minutes ago, lamoe said:

Deep dish

Chicago has 2 styles deep dish / thin crispy crust

Both can run up to $30 - depending on toppings

May I add there is also Stuffed, in which I will enjoy next week..

• Like 1
cookie47

Non franchised, corner store Pizza shop, Got to be thick crust, Topping generous, (not chilli however, not brought up with hot stuff) Got to be a meal,otherwise plenty of cheese and anything else.. Yum.. 

• Like 3
jtmwatchbiz

fuggettaboutit youse guys don't know what your talkin about.

everybody knows new haven Napolitano is da best.  

nevermind the touristy traps like pepe's, modern or sally's.   when yus wanna feckin real ahbeetz  ya gotta go to Tolli's or Depalma's.   they're the first and been in business like freakin forever.  

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0091.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
liquido
27 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

not chilli however, not brought up with hot stuff)

Generally Pizza is not served spicey hot,the flavor would be messed up completely...There are some people that like to sprinkle a small amount of red pepper flakes on there slice though..And yes the ma&pa are the best by FAR...

• Like 5

I have a few to list but its from back home. 1 before when my friend work there He told me to call him early so he can throw the dough and let it rise. But best about this place was they would put the topping under the cheese and cook it. Lots of flavor 

We had one place that took everything they had water and all, took it to Italy to have it all analysed to get everything as close to true Italian food. Many people didnt like it, but lots more did.

And last how about a pastrami pizza pickles, mustard and all. Looks sick but did really taste good

• Like 2
jtmwatchbiz

even the cooking throw down boy himself Bobby Flay agrees about Tolli's.   however he woulda prolly picked Depalma's had he gone there but it's a bit too dimly lit and wise-guy-friendly for the Hollywood types.  

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0831.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
3 minutes ago, menehune said:

I have a few to list but its from back home… 

Go for it. By all means list your favorite styles… 

cookie47

Hope not too far off topic... 

Portofino,s Was the go too Pizza place in Western Melbourne in the early 70,s.

A small 4 customer shop run by Italians.(as was the whole area ) However after the clubs, pubs, bars, strip joints (yes we had them) threw us out at 11.0pm onwards, off to get a FAMILY size huge Margareeta. Had to wait outside on the footpath it was so busy. 

Grab the Pizza and  a few  beers and mates, go home and watch the midnight movie, usually A John Wayne cowboy in Black and white, yes i remember black and white TV, 

Ahhhhh. Pizza.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Headshot
7 hours ago, jtmwatchbiz said:

fuggettaboutit youse guys don't know what your talkin about.

everybody knows new haven Napolitano is da best.  

nevermind the touristy traps like pepe's, modern or sally's.   when yus wanna feckin real ahbeetz  ya gotta go to Tolli's or Depalma's.   they're the first and been in business like freakin forever. 

That's interesting. I thought you would mention your wife's pizza in Cebu City as the best pizza around.

Edited by Headshot

1960's we lived above Italian restaurant (1st & 2nd gen owners - grandma's recopies, grandpa was front man) - would help out after school / weekends - no pay - got food for mother, brother and I and left overs that didn't sell.

They made Detroit style in a huge pan - still remember the wonderful smells even after they closed for the day (8 pm week days - 10 weekend)

Went back 20 years later - sold  - almost empty on a Saturday night - grandkids didn't want to put in the effort :sad_01:

• Like 1
HongKongPhooey

Both about pizza and nostalgia: Growing up near Chicago, I have to admit, I rarely ate deep dish pizza as a kid. It really wasn’t the thing it has come to be. To us, the ultimate pizza was what they now call “tavern style”, which makes sense because the best place to get it was down at the local tavern (bar, pub etc.). It’s a super thin crispy crust cut into squares, not wedges.  Apparently, back then, it was perfectly acceptable for men to have a few beers together after work. It was also acceptable for mom to bring you to the pub on payday Fridays to empty dad’s pockets of change for pinball, stuff your face in a smokey bar, and “try”  dad’s beer.  Mom and dad would probably be in prison nowadays for the smoke and beer, plus mom might have been there partially to make sure part of the paycheque made it home, but that was the best pizza.  

Most of the old local taverns have closed or switched over to fufu menus. Never ate at any of the places linked but explains the pizza: https://www.google.com.hk/amp/s/chicago.eater.com/platform/amp/maps/best-chicago-thin-crust-pizza-restaurants-tavern-style

Edited by HongKongPhooey
  • Thanks 2