TequilaSunset

Buying land and build vs. Buying home

smokey

One of the most basic western style conveniences... Seen it a thousand times car pulls up night time to house honk honk out come the helper run unlock gate car drives in.   Most helpers get up 5 am and many work 14 hour days so is it fair to wake them to open the gate ? Problem solved install electric garage door opener cost about 80.000 peso because it includes gate. But mine has been working 15 years only replaced motor once in 2012. Grwat investment and easy on house help and great in the rain no one gets wet

Edited by smokey
  • Like 5

to_dave007
34 minutes ago, smokey said:

One of the most basic western style conveniences... Seen it a thousand times car pulls up night time to house honk honk out come the helper run unlock gate car drives in.   Most helpers get up 5 am and many work 14 hour days so is it fair to wake them to open the gate ? Problem solved install electric garage door opener cost about 80.000 peso because it includes gate. But mine has been working 15 years only replaced motor once in 2012. Grwat investment and easy on house help and great in the rain no one gets wet

Damn..  What an idea..  If I had a live in house helper I wouldn't get wet..  Wife gets pissed if I make her come out in rain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

smokey
2 hours ago, to_dave007 said:

Damn..  What an idea..  If I had a live in house helper I wouldn't get wet..  Wife gets pissed if I make her come out in rain.

Well gee without helpers why live here .. Traffic sucks dealing with government sucks humidity sucks everything you want is out of stock gas cost more electronics more most foods more no parking . 

• Like 5

Bama
40 minutes ago, smokey said:

Well gee without helpers why live here .. Traffic sucks dealing with government sucks humidity sucks everything you want is out of stock gas cost more electronics more most foods more no parking . 

Sad but true.

Jack Rat
On 12/2/2019 at 10:12 AM, TequilaSunset said:

Is the cost difference huge? Most of you lifers here probably have a good idea which is most cost effective, and easier on the nerves overall. I am just curious... I am wanting possibly Northern Cebu in a province, next to the water or with a view of the sea. I understand building I can decide on options and design. I also understand how having a home being built can be very slow on Filipino time, and buying a built home makes moving in quicker, but can have all sorts of maintenance issues.

Thanks in advance...

I have resided in the Philippines for 20 years. In that time I have seen many foreigners come and go. I still cannot fathom why foreigners would want to build a house here if they can't own it outright. Many foreigners asume if they grab the first sweetie who winks at them, fund a housing project and marry a the sweet filipino, they will live here happily forever after . Wrong! 

The problem here is if the wife decides she wants you out, bingo, you are gone, quite simply it's bye bye! Your name might be on the legal documents but there is a good chance you will see none of your hard earned funds returned to you on the eventual ( if ever) sale of the property. Many guys living here who have unwittingly built a home in their partners name eventually realize they have been sucked-in, and believe me these boys are always on their best behaviour...Not all foreigner/Filipino relationships end in disaster, I am sure there are many successful happy relationships, but if one is thinking of moving here to reside, be aware of the many problems that 'will' occur along the way. My advice is to rent and look around, rents are affordable and if you have a neighbour who pisses you off, you can simply pack up and move on. 

• Like 4

smokey
57 minutes ago, Jack Rat said:

I have resided in the Philippines for 20 years. In that time I have seen many foreigners come and go. I still cannot fathom why foreigners would want to build a house here if they can't own it outright. Many foreigners asume if they grab the first sweetie who winks at them, fund a housing project and marry a the sweet filipino, they will live here happily forever after . Wrong! 

The problem here is if the wife decides she wants you out, bingo, you are gone, quite simply it's bye bye! Your name might be on the legal documents but there is a good chance you will see none of your hard earned funds returned to you on the eventual ( if ever) sale of the property. Many guys living here who have unwittingly built a home in their partners name eventually realize they have been sucked-in, and believe me these boys are always on their best behaviour...Not all foreigner/Filipino relationships end in disaster, I am sure there are many successful happy relationships, but if one is thinking of moving here to reside, be aware of the many problems that 'will' occur along the way. My advice is to rent and look around, rents are affordable and if you have a neighbour who pisses you off, you can simply pack up and move on. 

Its an anti foreigner thing nothing to do with wife really ..  Fastest way to change that law would be if all countries made land ownership a natural born citz. Only deal and the reason it never changes i think is it only affects foreigners ...  

• Like 1

lv2play
7 hours ago, smokey said:

Its an anti foreigner thing nothing to do with wife really ..  Fastest way to change that law would be if all countries made land ownership a natural born citz. Only deal and the reason it never changes i think is it only affects foreigners ...  

Got a WOODSTOCK flashback :D

Will never happen, a foreigner will stay a foreigner even with a permanent visa. I must say the privileges that we ( or is it only i ?) are receiving in Philippines are more then fair and i,m treated far better then any foreigner ( or local)  in Europe or America. Advise to all newcomers, go with the flow and don't get upset when you you see the craziest and most inefficiënt things happen, don' t hang on to a western way of living and thinking. 

• Like 2

TequilaSunset
Got a WOODSTOCK flashback 
Will never happen, a foreigner will stay a foreigner even with a permanent visa. I must say the privileges that we ( or is it only i ?) are receiving in Philippines are more then fair and i,m treated far better then any foreigner ( or local)  in Europe or America. Advise to all newcomers, go with the flow and don't get upset when you you see the craziest and most inefficiënt things happen, don' t hang on to a western way of living and thinking. 

This.... I cringe when I witness American anger when visiting. It's like you had a choice to come here, you have a choice to leave. Like I tell the illegals here, don't like it, GTFO! go back where you came from. I'm not the typical gringo, adapting to the Philippines is easier for me... living in Kalifornia has helped! LoL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 4

smokey

Or you can think of it as a warm welcome. Please come in welcome to my home we are happy your here please come in.    Oh but dont sit on the furniture 

• Like 4

SkyMan
On 12/2/2019 at 11:27 AM, to_dave007 said:

I know guys who have built their own houses for anywhere from 400,000 peso to 20 million+, and guys who found building a house stressful..  and not stressful..  some even found it fun.

Actually, you know one guy that built his house for less than p50K.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

BossHog
49 minutes ago, SkyMan said:

Actually, you know one guy that built his house for less than p50K.

There's a lot to say in support of this choice. Some of us have bigger families and more accumulated stuff that makes that impossible. But for a guy like Tequila starting out on settling in d'Phils then buying a piece of land and building a (very) modest home is a good option.

Takes a while to learn about building and buying here and doing so while undergoing the learning curve is a very good option, in my opinion.

You don't want to sink a big lump on your first attempt. Since he mentioned the northern part of Cebu province I bet he could get a decent piece of tax-dec land and throw up a habitable building without breaking the bank. Or turning gray prematurely.

One important thing that hasn't been mentioned is to gauge your partner's expectations; building a home involves emotional as well as financial strain. It can be a great joy as a couple too.

Wishing you luck pard.

Edited by BossHog
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Soupeod
17 hours ago, BossHog said:

You don't want to sink a big lump on your first attempt. Since he mentioned the northern part of Cebu province I bet he could get a decent piece of tax-dec land and throw up a habitable building without breaking the bank. Or turning gray prematurely.

One important thing that hasn't been mentioned is to gauge your partner's expectations; building a home involves emotional as well as financial strain. It can be a great joy as a couple too.

I agree with BossH 100%.  You can also rent for a year or so, watch facebook and catch a good deal. (What I did).   Do whatever you and your partner comfortable with.  I always checked with my Asawa on her expectations as well. 

Cebu has more skilled labor there, I would hook up with Smokey's guy if you can hire him and use Smokey, Headshot, Skyman etc.. all those guys who built houses.

• Like 4

smokey

I think its risky to allow wife or partner to pick location as most having never been foreigner rich tend to pick by family thinking the family will be happy for her and some will but many family members will say great she married a foreigner our troubles are over and you will not be happy

• Like 8

to_dave007
Just now, smokey said:

many family members will say great she married a foreigner our troubles are over and you will not be happy

what's not to like about having random family members drop over for dinner and breakfast every couple days?

• Haha 5

Salty Dog
2 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

what's not to like about having random family members drop over for dinner and breakfast every couple days?

Must be a Canadian thing… :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1