TequilaSunset

Buying land and build vs. Buying home

TequilaSunset

Is the cost difference huge? Most of you lifers here probably have a good idea which is most cost effective, and easier on the nerves overall. I am just curious... I am wanting possibly Northern Cebu in a province, next to the water or with a view of the sea. I understand building I can decide on options and design. I also understand how having a home being built can be very slow on Filipino time, and buying a built home makes moving in quicker, but can have all sorts of maintenance issues.

Thanks in advance...

smokey

Well build yourself because if not you will be remodeling a lot and provience its a givin it should be till death do us part investment.         Having built you pick size of cr you pick how many outlets you pick windows you could even use a hot water heater central if your building standard local building is very often lacking.    Cement want 1.2.4 mix or standard weak.  Steel bar ?  Size?  Roof anoidezed or not insluation on and on.  Doors real wood or hollow with wood grain tissue paper skin.  Tile yes or no color of grout ..  Think your getting idea.    Best is find a foreigner built and remodel

Edited by smokey
  • Like 4

TequilaSunset
3 minutes ago, smokey said:

Well build yourself because if not you will be remodeling a lot and provience its a givin it should be till death do us part investment.         Having built you pick size of cr you pick how many outlets you pick windows you could even use a hot water heater central if your building standard local building is very often lacking.    Cement want 1.2.4 mix or standard weak.  Steel bar ?  Size?  Roof anoidezed or not insluation on and on.  Doors real wood or hollow with wood grain tissue paper skin.  Tile yes or no color of grout ..  Think your getting idea.    Best is find a foreigner built and remodel

Thanks... that's how I was leaning, but I never really gave the thought about remodeling. I would definitely be doing that if something annoyed me enough. I was also thinking it would give me more options in the search with a built home, verses open land, but you comments make far more sense.

• Like 1

lamoe
Just now, TequilaSunset said:

Thanks... that's how I was leaning, but I never really gave the thought about remodeling. I would definitely be doing that if something annoyed me enough. I was also thinking it would give me more options in the search with a built home, verses open land, but you comments make far more sense.

Smokey is right  - trust me - it will annoy you enough (window screens, electrical outlets, door bottom seals, etc) if  to native specs.

Going through very minor (:lol:) ones now (new CR and larger BR)

We argue about inexpensive vs cheap - her family used the cheapest they could find for new place and it shows.

House not even 1 year old and stuff breaking

Edited by lamoe
  • Like 2

to_dave007

Likely the best way to make such a decision is to spend a bit of time actually meeting foreigners who have "built" or "bought" and see their houses and make your decision that way.  I know guys who have built their own houses for anywhere from 400,000 peso to 20 million+, and guys who found building a house stressful..  and not stressful..  some even found it fun.  And you'll have maintenance to do regardless if your place is bought or built.  And nothing here is likely built the same way you build back home.

And don't forget the issues associated with buying land here.

Feel free to come to Tuburan next time you are in PI..  I can show you a few places.. introduce you to the people who built them.  Plus I managed the building of my place.  Another Canadian near me is renovating a place he bought.

really.. when it comes to buy vs build..  I think more than half if it is really how much interest and energy you have for building, and dealing with issues you never had back in your home country, and how important it is.. for YOU..  to have every little thing just the way YOU want it.  Budget matters as well.

And @smokey is right.. VERY difficult to unload a property out here in province..  so think of it as "till death to us part" investment.

• Like 6

Kabisay-an gid

There's really no right or wrong answer.

Having a house built can be very stressful if you hire a sub-par building crew - & a built house can have plenty of issues also - & good luck trying to get a lot of builders to correct any problems within a reasonable time, if ever.

As Smokey mentioned, buying a pre-owned home built by a foreigner can be a good option, but there are really no guarantees there either.

Not all pre-owned Filipino-built homes are bad, I've actually seen a number of nice ones that would've required only minor repairs/renovations/remodeling, if any.

If I were you, I wouldn't rule out any options at this time. But as Smokey also mentioned, buy "out in the province" & you're almost certainly going to be stuck with the house for life, so choose wisely.

My two cents. :twocents:

• Like 2

RogerDuMond
2 minutes ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

good luck trying to get a lot of builders to correct any problems within a reasonable time, if ever.

If you do use a builder, do not pay the full amount until you have done a comprehensive inspection of everything in the house and they have fixed any problems..

• Like 4

Jawny

Building versus renting is not always a choice you’ll have.  That is, some places just might not have a place to rent that comes with all the benefits you want.  Renting, at least for me, would be if I were not certain of my duration of stay. With a rental, the option to pack up and move is always an option.  That’s  also a built in risk, of the landlord wants you out or new neighbors or conditions change that make the idyllic rental now a place to leave ASAP. 

Building isn’t necessarily slow.  That depends a lot on whether you use a contractor who has multiple projects and might pull workers from your work site.  If you can get an agreement with the contractor that there is an incentive if built on time, (bonus) and a penalty for each week (day?) that passes before the job is completed.  

A cost analysis depends a lot on your desires regarding what you’ll accept in a rental as opposed to what you demand to have in a house you build.  It doesn’t take long for the const or renting to add up to what could have been a home you’d like.  A rental for 20k a month, within a few years gets into the cost of some simpler homes. 

I would not rent here if I were intending to settle.  A short term rental perhaps, for a base from which to live while land is being bought and a house is being built.  I did that with the house I built here.  Six months from day of signing a contract to completion. I was okay with that.  

I’m not certain of this, but a home built by a foreigner might be great, but I’d wager the foreigner wants to recover their costs and typically this will be higher than a home built to Filipino standards.   Caveat emptor  

• Like 1

SkyMan
1 hour ago, Kabisay-an gid said:

Having a house built can be very stressful if you hire a sub-par building crew - & a built house can have plenty of issues also -

One of which is that it may have been built by a sub-par building crew but most of problems have been covered up and you may find that out later...

• Like 3

TequilaSunset

Thanks everyone, nice to see the various POV's

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

hyaku
1 hour ago, SkyMan said:

One of which is that it may have been built by a sub-par building crew but most of problems have been covered up and you may find that out later...

My partner was on her third house build when I brought mine up to standard. Fortunately she knew decent masons, carpenters and labour and an excellent tiler. They all worked daily with exception to the tiler who charged by the sq meter. The main thing was I worked too with plumbing/electrical changes, glazing and painting. Also labour. I think it spurred the guys on a lot and being on the spot had been essential.

Six weeks and we were done. Turned a fixer upper 4 bedroomed house into a palace.  350k when I bought it. Now 12 years later, zero rent and I made good decision looking at what people are paying to rent now.

paint1.JPG

• Like 3

smokey
5 hours ago, lamoe said:

Smokey is right  - trust me - it will annoy you enough (window screens, electrical outlets, door bottom seals, etc) if  to native specs.

Going through very minor (:lol:) ones now (new CR and larger BR)

We argue about inexpensive vs cheap - her family used the cheapest they could find for new place and it shows.

House not even 1 year old and stuff breaking

We built using 1.2.3 cement and 25 mm steel and no cracks from earth quakes or land settling

• Like 1

smokey

Local building falls short to me ... Cr to small no vents one electrical outlet per room if your lucky shitty windows rusted and slats fall out ac in wall one side of room so cold on left warm on right cheap ass doors more like apartment style no vents so humid lots of cracks in walls cement to weak. A few of the things i saw when i rented

• Like 2

lamoe
Just now, smokey said:

Local building falls short to me ... Cr to small no vents one electrical outlet per room if your lucky shitty windows rusted and slats fall out ac in wall one side of room so cold on left warm on right cheap ass doors more like apartment style no vents so humid lots of cracks in walls cement to weak. A few of the things i saw when i rented

Same when they build their own homes to local acceptance standards

Had a little say so on our CR - not size, damn small <5 x 10  -  fixtures I bought so I know quality  and size  - also had step added to floor (shower area lower by 3") and double sloped to drain. 2 electrical outlets + switch. Switch turns on overhead shower light,  light bar over mirror , and 12" exhaust fan together - screw that moldy damp air

• Like 1

smokey

You can build a totally western style house but it will cost  extra but that extra can make life easier i spent at least 3 million peso extra but this house could fit into any western neighborhood when i saw the plans it was to cost 8 million peso plus 1m for property all the changes drove the cost to over 12m but if your truley planning on living here 10 to 20 years the extra cost is very small compared to your enjoyment and i heard but dont quote me that when you die your not allowed to take your money with you

• Like 1
  • Haha 2