Aussie pies ......again ...

My previous pie odyssey topic is old and closed - so once again for the Aussies - a good find this weekend.....

A mate posted this find on FB yesterday, so I had to check it out today.

A retired Aussie baker "Oz Chef M" ( Martin) - currently has a stand at J Centre Mall with lotsa goodies.

Ground Floor, left side, just as you come in the front entrance.

Apparently they'll be there for the new few weeks - before they move to another mall (in Mandaue I think). Next year they hope to open a shop/stand at either SM City or Seaside. Fingers crossed.

The baker's wife was there today - she happily provided sausage roll and pies taste samples (well actually we didn't ask - she pretty much insisted once she heard my accent ;) I didn't resist too long )

The pastry was the right, proper, correct, delicious flaky from back home. That's no surprise - she told me they have 2 bakeries/pie shops in Sydney :)

The chicken pie in particular was delicious. The pies are smaller "party pie" size - she said here, the locals prefer smaller, snack sized.  It seems the range may vary each day - and today the fresh ones arrived about noon.

image.thumb.png.0ac8c802a42381d2ba75944b596343a2.png

They also had a lot of great tarts and brownies etc. The macadamia slice was YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. As you can see in the pic above - we bought quite an assortment.

Enjoy !

image.png.040c18bfb137595d3102a6caf7bf520f.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6
Ozepete

Wow, a fair dinkum maggoty eye with dead horse, now available in Cebu!!  That's a winner mate!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1
Ozepete
6 hours ago, Ozepete said:

Wow, a fair dinkum maggoty eye with dead horse, now available in Cebu!!  That's a winner mate!  :thumbsup: 

Or for the unerdakated...  'meat pie with tomato sauce'  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • 1 month later...

hey do you know where they have their shop now i would love to know

i will be in cebu next week

Edited by bert
food
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
GBT62

I was ambling around the food stalls outside Metro groceries in Ayala yesterday  - where they have the regional food stalls.

It was a pleasant surprise to find that under the Cebu/Mandaue banner I found the Aussie Pie Stand again :)

He's now added new options including Beef'n'tomato and  Beef'n'peppercorn pies - and even better pasties (with and without meat). 

My freezer is now full again ;)

They tell me they are there till the 9th  - but have applied for a permanent place so hopefully it'll be continuous trade....

image.png.b421a7bb629ab23d36bdd9d3b3dfda03.png

image.png.2914cf07b9fcdedc4cbc399842d7500e.png

Edited by GBT62
  • Thanks 4
Goetz1965

Can you really deep freeze them for longer?
Im always curious to ruin food as many cant be frozen that good.

GBT62
31 minutes ago, Goetz1965 said:

Can you really deep freeze them for longer?
Im always curious to ruin food as many cant be frozen that good.

Not the tarts as they are eaten at room temperature and will be soggy when they thaw - but the pies/rolls/pasties survive pretty well after a reheat in an oven (better than microwave - gets soggy in there)

For sure the hot pastries are best if fresh - but as the saying goes though - beggars can't be choosers.

As it is, nearly all the local suppliers and bars I have come across - have supplied them frozen or reheated anyway.  At least this fellow is baking them fresh daily, so you have the option.

• Like 3
mikewright

Tried the pies yesterday - nice! Seems like they are still trying to negotiate a permanent spot.

My go-to place for pies in Cebu used to be Circa 1900, run by an Aussie chef. But his menu changes from time to time,  and pies are now only available if you give three days notice :sad_01:.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, mikewright said:

Tried the pies yesterday - nice! Seems like they are still trying to negotiate a permanent spot.

My go-to place for pies in Cebu used to be Circa 1900, run by an Aussie chef. But his menu changes from time to time,  and pies are now only available if you give three days notice :sad_01:.

thanks mike got a dozen a few weeks ago (meat) freeze ok  i live in so leyte  the pies held ok till i got pies in freezer my partner cannot stop EATING  i put in micro cook up ok 

• Like 3
GBT62

This week - Martin (the pie guy) introduced his new curry pie also .................. that's worth a return trip :)    Also - give the macadamia tarts a try with coffee :thumbsup:

• Like 3
mikewright

Was at J-Center Mall today, for a visit to the BI. Martin's pie stall was the first thing I noticed as I walked in. Serendipity 😁. Seems they have a permanent spot now. Lunch taken care of, a big thumb's up for his chicken pie 👍

• Like 1
mikewright

Found another place for real Aussie pies :biggrin_01:

301 Ramos Street Sports Bar & Grill had them on the menu yesterday. Steaming hot, and crispy pastry on the side.

Bloody good tucker!

Pie.jpg.133e4fbf9decf79c3184e4d3a82f10e3.jpg

1121576539_Piesmenu.thumb.jpg.6da6d193f7ac27a38e0074b45ad739f6.jpg

• Like 3
SomeRandomGuy

looks like they came out of a proper electric pie maker   good stuff

• Like 3
  • 2 months later...
GBT62

For those in lockdown, like me, or just plain old ECQ..... the good news is Martin the Pie guy is delivering around Cebu City, Mandaue ....and even Talisay he just told me. 

I hadn't heard from them for a while so assumed they'd shut shop during the ECQ ....but happily not, I got an SMS last week  - in fact he's been expanding the menu.

They now have a facebook page (can I post here ?)  https://www.facebook.com/OZChefM

and a longer list that goes beyond pies and sausage rolls and pasties. 

I've ordered a bunch more of those - and am keen to see what the multigrain loaves and Olive bread

is like.

Enjoy responsibly :D ....with sauce

image.png.298dda254917f8240e17afe2bcc88536.pngimage.thumb.png.75cf0604a66aa7d55daa0fc995c8c7f2.pngimage.png.f78435f5ff5971dbecf506ff379ddd33.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Administrator
Salty Dog
9 minutes ago, GBT62 said:

They now have a facebook page (can I post here ?)  https://www.facebook.com/OZChefM

Who do I send the advertising bill to? You or the Pie Guy...:biggrin_01:

• Haha 1