AbbAbbA

Question about deep wells

AbbAbbA

My family is moving out of our home and into a small townhouse in cebu but for some reason the local water service, mcwd, refused to open a water connection there and the developer decided to switch to deep wells instead. It's been almost 6 months since they've started digging but still no water.

My question is, is this normal? And if not, what other water source options can my family consider?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A705MN using Tapatalk

• Like 1

smokey

Where at in cebu 

AbbAbbA

The area behind gaisano country mall in Banilad. Near I.T. Park

lamoe
16 hours ago, AbbAbbA said:

The area behind gaisano country mall in Banilad. Near I.T. Park

https://archive.iges.or.jp/en/natural-resource/groundwater/PDF/activity20110602/S1-2_Mr.Lasaro

Philipphines.pdfhttp://hydrologie.org/redbooks/a259/iahs_259_0125.pdf  

According to these maps and above links less than 10 M to water table?

The answer is probably very bad well drillers or developer isn't trying very hard.

image.png.4fe94bae7ee9f9b88b3a646e5f16b402.png

image.thumb.png.2ea92483ba86ad0289442aebd6cefa50.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

to_dave007

In that area I would EXPECT that almost all homes would be on municipal water. not deep wells.  Maybe I'm wrong..  but just my impression.

If I'm RIGHT, then I would REALLY want to know just WHY MCWD refused to permit a connection..  as this suggests some issue that I would certainly want to know about before I take possession.  Hope you are not yet fully paid on the house, as I "suspect" there is some issue that needs to be resolved.. and you may need some holdback to motivate the developer to get it done.

If I am wrong..  then I think what @lamoe writes above seems right, except that (1) I would expect further than 10 meters to water table and (2) I would expect that water may be slightly saline.

• Like 1

lamoe
Just now, to_dave007 said:

In that area I would EXPECT that almost all homes would be on municipal water. not deep wells.  Maybe I'm wrong..  but just my impression.

If I'm RIGHT, then I would REALLY want to know just WHY MCWD refused to permit a connection..  as this suggests some issue that I would certainly want to know about before I take possession.  Hope you are not yet fully paid on the house, as I "suspect" there is some issue that needs to be resolved.. and you may need some holdback to motivate the developer to get it done.

If I am wrong..  then I think what @lamoe writes above seems right, except that (1) I would expect further than 10 meters to water table and (2) I would expect that water may be slightly saline.

Agree

One of the links shows salinity

1.25% close to channel 0.25% or less in that area

image.thumb.png.aca89e95df39f318a24a4929db5066e3.png

• Like 1

smokey

Now some developers.have a side line called selling water to homeowners example city water 500 peso subdivision .developer owned well 3000 times how many houses?

• Like 2

AbbAbbA
15 hours ago, lamoe said:
https://archive.iges.or.jp/en/natural-resource/groundwater/PDF/activity20110602/S1-2_Mr.Lasaro
Philipphines.pdfhttp://hydrologie.org/redbooks/a259/iahs_259_0125.pdf  
According to these maps and above links less than 10 M to water table?
The answer is probably very bad well drillers or developer isn't trying very hard.
spacer.png
spacer.png

Thanks for the link. I do keep update on the driller's progress and last they told me they dug down to around 110m and still no water.

AbbAbbA

@to_dave007  You're right. Almost all homes do have municipal water in the area. I did ask the developer why our application for the water connection was denied and they told me there was an overabundance of water connections in the area. Is that even plausible?

We did pay the downpayment on the townhouse and signed a contract. I'll have to look at it and see what can be done.

Also, I'm not familiar with the term but what do you mean further than 10m to water table? Thanks for being so helpful.

AbbAbbA

@smokey Is that 500php per household? Lol, my family's current water bill is waaaaay less than that.

• Like 1

to_dave007
5 hours ago, AbbAbbA said:

@to_dave007 You're right. Almost all homes do have municipal water in the area. I did ask the developer why our application for the water connection was denied and they told me there was an overabundance of water connections in the area. Is that even plausible?

Don't know if that's reasonable. But I doubt it.

5 hours ago, AbbAbbA said:

Also, I'm not familiar with the term but what do you mean further than 10m to water table? Thanks for being so helpful.

The "water table" refers to the distance from the surface, down to the top of the level that actually has water that can be pumped.. 

lamoe
10 hours ago, AbbAbbA said:

Thanks for the link. I do keep update on the driller's progress and last they told me they dug down to around 110m and still no water.

If they except water at about 10 or even 50 M and it's a dry well they should use another location

9 hours ago, AbbAbbA said:

@smokey Is that 500php per household? Lol, my family's current water bill is waaaaay less than that.

Get ready for what we call "sicker shock"

Couldn't find current rate

1 cubic M = 1,000 L

I live in a condo so pay more - P61.5 CuM- average bill is more than 500 but never over 600 for 2 people - I don't check meter so could be high

The water district has resolved to purchase water from the Cebu Bulk Water Supply Project, which taps the Carmen river, where a new weir  was built to rechannel the water.

The purchase price is  P24.59 per cubic meter.

However, the final cost to end users still has to be decided.

The current cost of producing water is P21 per cubic meter for groundwater. But to the majority of its customers,  MCWD’s  current rate is P13.60 per cubic meter for those consuming at most 10 cubic meters.

https://cebudailynews.inquirer.net/23374/will-water-cost-more

to_dave007

@cookie47 where do you get your water from?  who is the supplier?  Does it come from deep well or municipal supplier?

Cookie lives in a subdivision in Consolacion..  about 8km north east of Banilad, about the same distance from the ocean

• Like 1

cookie47
30 minutes ago, to_dave007 said:

where do you get your water from?  who is the supplier?  Does it come from deep well or municipal supplier?

Our water comes from a supplier (Consolacion water company,,, or a name like that). We are on the edge of MWC (Mandaue) limits. I assume its from a deep well into storage tanks. 

The plant is somewhere at the back of Liloan, (Skyman will know more i think) 

Water quality is questionable imo,, , Never drink it, (smells funny) only for shower/toilet /washing. Bottle water for Drinking. 

And i might add very very unreliable. 

Edited by cookie47
Addition
  • Like 2

SkyMan
19 minutes ago, cookie47 said:

The plant is somewhere at the back of Liloan, (Skyman will know more i think)

It may well be but the reservoir above my place, I'm told, feeds a treatment plant in Lacion and then goes to MEPZA.  I have a deep well about 180 ft to water.  Not salty as far as I can tell.  My employees drink it, I have too.  Tastes fine.  But we still normally use bottled.

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2